Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External SSD drive

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: External SSD drive

    Originally posted by wornish View Post
    Wel Done for seeing it through. Think I told you it would make all the difference.

    I had exactly the same experience.
    It feels like a brand new computer.
    Mark Johnson

    My Sailing Page

    My Flickr

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: External SSD drive

      Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
      It's called 'Samsung Magician' and it's very useful. I use the 'Performance Optimization' every week on all drives (because I have 'C' as the operating system and programs and 'Z' as data saving) just to keep things running smoothly.

      Find it here -
      https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...umer/magician/

      Glad you got sorted

      Mark Johnson

      My Sailing Page

      My Flickr

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: External SSD drive

        You're welcome.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: External SSD drive

          Originally posted by wornish View Post
          I had exactly the same experience.
          It feels like a brand new computer.
          ---------------

          Naughty Nigel


          Difficult is worth doing

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: External SSD drive

            I would say 1TB minimum if you have lots of images.

            Harold
            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: External SSD drive

              Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
              It's called 'Samsung Magician' and it's very useful. I use the 'Performance Optimization' every week on all drives (because I have 'C' as the operating system and programs and 'Z' as data saving) just to keep things running smoothly.

              Find it here -
              https://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...umer/magician/

              Glad you got sorted

              That was installed on my PC when the original SSD failed after about 4 years and I had a new one installed. I have never touched it.

              A tip: Apart from Windows, my software is mostly installed on my data drive. So, no reinstallation worries for them when the SSD is replaced.

              Harold
              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: External SSD drive

                Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                I would say 1TB minimum if you have lots of images.

                Harold
                The trick is to install the OS and apps on SSD and keep large images on a spinning hard drive.

                I prefer to either use a small-ish dedicated SSD for this purpose (say 256 GB), or in the case of a laptop, partition a larger SSD, setting aside (say) 256 GB for the OS and apps. That way I can keep the OS and apps entirely separate from my own work and images.

                I do not use C:/ drive for any of my own files except through My Documents, My Pictures, etc., and even then I like to move these libraries to another drive or partition if I can.
                ---------------

                Naughty Nigel


                Difficult is worth doing

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: External SSD drive

                  Be c areful as you need to clone the current internal system drive to the ssd - but the ssd is an internal ssd so will need to buy a suitable external disk caddy to mount it in initially so that you can connect it via USB to clone the current system disk befire fitting the cloned ssd drive internally....

                  Jim
                  Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
                  Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
                  RIA my Images

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: External SSD drive

                    Originally posted by shotokan101 View Post
                    Be c areful as you need to clone the current internal system drive to the ssd - but the ssd is an internal ssd so will need to buy a suitable external disk caddy to mount it in initially so that you can connect it via USB to clone the current system disk befire fitting the cloned ssd drive internally....

                    Jim
                    Thanks Jim. All sorted now, I have a store of old HD's from years past so have the connectors to run them off the USB. Cloning was surprisingly easy, with free software (AOMEI), and swapping the Old HD with the new SSD only had a small hitch. Due to the different thicknesses of the two drives, first time I inserted the new drive , it fell below the connectors, and obviously would not boot up. A few seconds of panic were had before I realised the problem. After connecting it properly, all systems were go. I had to put in my passwords for the Adobe software, otherwise just passwords to my usual sites like this.

                    Again thanks to all for advice and help...……….
                    Mark Johnson

                    My Sailing Page

                    My Flickr

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: External SSD drive

                      Glad it works, but don't forget to disable any auto defrag programs you may have had running on the old drive.
                      Best Regards
                      Bill

                      The nearest I have to a home page.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                      They're Watching You!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: External SSD drive

                        Originally posted by peak4 View Post
                        Glad it works, but don't forget to disable any auto defrag programs you may have had running on the old drive.
                        Windows 8.1 and 10 will not defrag SSD's, but Windows 7 will if it doesn't recognise the drive as an SSD.
                        ---------------

                        Naughty Nigel


                        Difficult is worth doing

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: External SSD drive

                          Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                          Windows 8.1 and 10 will not defrag SSD's, but Windows 7 will if it doesn't recognise the drive as an SSD.
                          Yes you're quite correct; I hadn't realised the time of day when I posted and had to curtail as I was due out for lunch.

                          There are a number of "go-faster" stand-alone utilities which some folks have installed though; they might not make the same distinction, and should have that function disabled.

                          I've already got an SSD in my normal PC, but took up one of the ebay special 20% discount offers to pick up a couple more.
                          One of these I've just filled with a sector by sector echo/copy of my C drive.
                          It now lives in the safe, though I hope I don't need it; My intention is to do periodic copies, especially before instigating one of the major windows updates e.g. 1803 → 1903.
                          Best Regards
                          Bill

                          The nearest I have to a home page.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                          They're Watching You!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X