Calibrating monitor(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibrating monitor(s)

Hi folks, I'm in need of some advice again, and I know there are many knowledgeable people here will be able to help

I've just completed building my new PC and I need to calibrate the monitors. Traditionally, I've always used Datacolor's Spyder but my Spyder 4 is now not up to new technology and so I'm looking at the SpyderX Pro but before I do I would be interested in other recommendations of other vendors.

My laptop is a Dell XPS15, 4K and the Spyder 4 won't work with the screen, so it is imperative that I can calibrate this monitor. My new PC has twin Dell DELL U2718Q 27" 4K monitors plus a third HP 2k monitor. I believe that modern GPUs can support "multiple" calibration profiles on just one GPU - I am trying to get some take from Datacolor on whether this is true and if their products will support multiple monitors on one GPU - their response is a bit like a lumbering dinosaur.

I need to calibrate the two DElls and it would be a bonus if the HP could be calibrated - off the same GPU if that is at all feasible.

So, any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Edit: Just adding that I believe that for printing the calibrator should be designed for printer profiling also, which, apparently, the Spyder X Pro does (?).

Thanks,

Steve
    Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
    Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
    My website

Re: Calibrating monitor(s)

I'm far from an expert on color calibration, but I have started using DisplayCal with my MacBook Pro/Catalina and ColorMunki Smile. The software for the ColorMunki Smile was 32 bit and no longer supported by X-rite. DisplayCal works with my equipment though I'm only using very basic settings. The Spyder 4 is listed as a supported instrument, so you may want to give it a look. DisplayCal is open source.

https://displaycal.net

Best of luck,
    Dan
    Dan Lang

Comment

https://www.peak-imaging.com/about/monitor.calibration

I have tried my own eyes against several calibration systems and can set up my systems within better than 2% of the settings proposed by the calibrators; which incidentally have varied by as much as 4%...
      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Thanks folks, I am aware of the ambient lighting colour temp that the monitors will be used in and even the colour of the walls and curtains etc. to a degree. I tend to try and keep the lighting very low and as close to 5500K as possible.

I am not too bothered about producing correct colours for screen/internet use but I am concerned about getting screen and hence printing colours accurate. I have done some printing myself and used on-line printers and the results were not very encouraging

Thanks for the link Graham, I'll have a good read later. Hopefully, Datacolor will get back soon and I've also left a question with Wex re the SpyderX Pro.

Thanks all,

Steve
        My website

Comment

Get the late Bruce Fraser's book on Colour Management. It's in the 'Real World' series and will tell you all you need to know about colour management (and a whole lot more that you'll wish you didn't know!).

Jim

Comment

I use an X-Rite i1Display Pro and it creates and applies separate profiles for the two monitors attached to my single graphics card. I'm very pleased with the results.
            Steve

Comment

I use an X-rite Colormunki Photo. In addition to calibrating displays this can also produce profiles for printer paper - so that your prints match what you see on the monitor.
              Chris

Comment

My goto website for this sort of thing is Northlight Images, a mine of practical information. Have a look here: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/c...r-calibration/, though the site in general is worth exploring. In particular, for the Spyder X, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/s...brator-review/. I don't know your monitors, but don't forget that if they come with their own hardware calibration tool then you'd need to check that it supports whatever calibrator you intend using.

I have created a paper profile using my Spyder 4, but I'm not altogether sure it was worth it. I think there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Manufacturer profiles seem pretty reasonable to me, but also bear in mind that some paper manufacturers offer free custom profiles for users of their paper (e.g. Fotospeed).

If my old monitor ever throws in the towel I'd go for a wide gamut one and I think I'd then need to upgrade my calibrator. Meanwhile I don't use it enough to warrant a replacement.
                Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                    I use an X-rite Colormunki Photo. In addition to calibrating displays this can also produce profiles for printer paper - so that your prints match what you see on the monitor.
                    I also have a Colormunki, but have never been able to calibrate a printer satisfactorily, in spite of refining the calibration with sample prints. It's something I need to get to the bottom of.

Jim

Comment

It's important to get display calibration right for lots of reasons - to get faithful looking prints and so that other people with decently calibrated displays can see the true colour of your images. A properly calibrated display will sometimes display more detail after calibration.

I know a lot of members don't have a hardware calibrator and I am now considering the purchase of a good quality one that can be lent to members for a modest fee.

Do let me know if that would be of interest.

Ian
                      Founder and editor of:
                      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                        It's important to get display calibration right for lots of reasons - to get faithful looking prints and so that other people with decently calibrated displays can see the true colour of your images. A properly calibrated display will sometimes display more detail after calibration.

I know a lot of members don't have a hardware calibrator and I am now considering the purchase of a good quality one that can be lent to members for a modest fee.

Do let me know if that would be of interest.

Ian
                        Sounds like a very interesting proposition Ian and one that would probably be of interest to many forum members. Personally, I would rather buy my own than regularly hiring as I have several PCs with multiple monitors that I would calibrate on a regular basis. Constantly hiring and returning wouldn't be the most cost effective way.

I am sure others here would find this a good solution though

Cheers,

Steve
                        My website

Comment

Originally posted by Dan in NC View Post
                          I'm far from an expert on color calibration, but I have started using DisplayCal with my MacBook Pro/Catalina and ColorMunki Smile. The software for the ColorMunki Smile was 32 bit and no longer supported by X-rite. DisplayCal works with my equipment though I'm only using very basic settings. The Spyder 4 is listed as a supported instrument, so you may want to give it a look. DisplayCal is open source.

Best of luck,
                          Dan
                          I use displaycal too in conjunction with a Spyder 5, much better than the software it comes with.

Comment

This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Dan in NC View Post

Best of luck,
                              Dan
                              That is extremely interesting Dan, I didn't realise that there was other software for existing calibration hardware. I will try this with my Spyder 4 over the weekend and report back what I find. Many thanks for this

Steve
                              My website

Comment

Working...
                              X