Calibrating monitor(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calibrating monitor(s)

Do bear in mind that any colour calibration will almost certainly reduce screen brightness. This should not a problem for newer, brighter monitors, but if you have maximum brightness set than colour calibration may result in a dull display as calibration works by reducing the output of one or more colour channels to provide colour balance. Laptops in particular often have to be set to maximum brightness if they are to be legible in bright conditions.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
      Do bear in mind that any colour calibration will almost certainly reduce screen brightness. This should not a problem for newer, brighter monitors, but if you have maximum brightness set than colour calibration may result in a dull display as calibration works by reducing the output of one or more colour channels to provide colour balance. Laptops in particular often have to be set to maximum brightness if they are to be legible in bright conditions.
      High brightness settings are very often the cause of dark prints.
      Find my prints approximately match what I see on the monitor with brightness at around
      35-40%

Comment

Originally posted by Tram View Post
        High brightness settings are very often the cause of dark prints.
        Find my prints approximately match what I see on the monitor with brightness at around
        35-40%
        I can understand that, but how is it as a monitor?
        ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I can understand that, but how is it as a monitor?
          Fine, it's one of those Dell Ultra Sharp IPS monitors

Comment

Fine, it's one of those Dell Ultra Sharp IPS monitors
            Ah yes, they are good. I was just wondering how it was as a monitor at 35 - 40% brightness? I always have mine at 70 - 80%.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

If all you do is post images to websites is there any point in using colour calibration? Considering the different systems people use to view them : mobile phones to >27" Hi-Res monitors and hundreds of variants in between each with differing Colour Gamuts.

On the rare occasions when I do print at home it takes me two or three trial runs to get things how I want them. If I was sending them off to a commercial printer then I would certainly do it.
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Ah yes, they are good. I was just wondering how it was as a monitor at 35 - 40% brightness? I always have mine at 70 - 80%.
                I think most people who haven't used a calibrator have their screens far brighter than is necessary.
                Just don't need a screen that bright anyway, far more than your eyes are comfortable with.
                Many moons ago I read an article about this subject and it suggested the following
                The white canvas of a photoshop screen should look the same luminance wise as a piece of white paper viewed in the same light as your monitor.
                Not sure exactly how true that is, but does make some sense.

A lot of people do not realise that what they see on the screen doesn't match printed matter.
                They see a dark print, so lighten the image on screen, result big disappointment.
                Some time and effort spent involving calibration, profiling and soft proofing is well worth it..
                I now know within reason my prints will come out to my satisfaction first time.
                Home printer is a Canon Pro 10 and the inks are pricey, last thing you want is for a high print quality A3 to come out wrong.

Comment

A lot of people do not realise that what they see on the screen doesn't match printed matter.
                  They see a dark print, so lighten the image on screen, result big disappointment.
                  Some time and effort spent involving calibration, profiling and soft proofing is well worth it..
                  I now know within reason my prints will come out to my satisfaction first time.
                  Home printer is a Canon Pro 10 and the inks are pricey, last thing you want is for a high print quality A3 to come out wrong.
                  The reason I want to calibrate my monitors is because I want to get into either doing my own prints or sending them to on-line printers. The Canon Pro 10 is the printer I am considering and, as you say, getting the colours wrong can be expensive. At the moment, the photos on my website do not have accurate colours and I know that printing them as they are they look very different. Once the monitors are calibrated I can then get the printer and get that calibrated also.

Steve
                  Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                  Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                  My website

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver View Post
                    The reason I want to calibrate my monitors is because I want to get into either doing my own prints or sending them to on-line printers. The Canon Pro 10 is the printer I am considering and, as you say, getting the colours wrong can be expensive. At the moment, the photos on my website do not have accurate colours and I know that printing them as they are they look very different. Once the monitors are calibrated I can then get the printer and get that calibrated also.

Steve
                    You also need to decide on what papers you will print on and use the correct profile for them.
                    Canon paper profiles are already installed, I use Permajet and had them create a personal profile.
                    Its a free service, just need to send them a test print and they do the rest.

Comment

Steve I used a Spyder 5 to calibrate my monitor about a year ago now and it didn't seem to do very much except add a very very slight green tint. Just couldn't get rid of it so have lived with it since. As for printing I stopped doing my own not due to colour but cost. I use DC Colour labs now who will send out a colour profile for their printers so you can see exactly what the image will print like. They will also assess images sent to them to see if in their view they are printing correctly. I wasn't sure on the level of sharpness to use so they said send some trials and they would suggest the best level so as not to go over the top. The end results were superb and the cost was cheaper than I could have done myself! service was swift as well. I'm sure other companies can provide similar services but this was my experience.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                        Steve I used a Spyder 5 to calibrate my monitor about a year ago now and it didn't seem to do very much except add a very very slight green tint.
                        That's why others and myself have suggested above using it with DisplayCal software

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                          I use DC Colour labs now who will send out a colour profile for their printers so you can see exactly what the image will print like. They will also assess images sent to them to see if in their view they are printing correctly. I wasn't sure on the level of sharpness to use so they said send some trials and they would suggest the best level so as not to go over the top.
                          I had a look at the DS Colour website and I must say they offer a wide selection of products, and their service sounds good. I presume that the profile is only available for the Fine Art giclee prints rather than their book products.
                          Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

what I do is to take picture of something in front of my computer screen.then I open that picture on the computer screen. Under the same lighting conditions I take another picture and the differences are immediately apparent where the actual object deviates in color from the one on the screen.
                            My problem is that IDK what to do about it.

Comment

DisplayCal has been mentioned and I downloaded and installed it to see how it would work with my ColorMunki Photo. After installing the Argyl CMS the software ran, but didn't recognise my ColorMunki (which is said to be supported). I didn't bother looking any deeper as the Xrite software works well enough.

Edit: I've subsequently found that although I had ArgylCMS already installed, DisplayCal didn't find it. I had to reinstall ArgylCMS from within DisplayCal.

I've now used it to calibrate the display on my laptop, using Linux. It appears to have worked OK, though it took far longer than Xrite on Windows. Maybe it's more thorough?

Jim

Comment

Thanks Tram I'll give DisplayCal a try.

Ian (Rawcoll) I only had them print onto standard paper so I don't know about their other products. Send them an email and I'm sure they will be able to answer your question.
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                                X