Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo size guide for the forum

thecedars
    A guide to pixel size and dpi to make it comfortable to view would be great. I struggle to estimate the correct size and resolution when re-sizing and uploading but then it is too late if wrong! So a guide would be great even if accepted as only a guide.

Keith-369
    Doesn't it also matter where you are posting from.
    In Flickr there are basically two sizes to choose from which look good on this forum. To insist on any other sizes would eliminate those people from posting into competitions.
    Anything else would mean resizing and I've yet to find a (free) resizing program which doesn't degrade the picture.
    Just my farthings worth
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Re: Photo size guide for the forum

In part answer to Keith, the photo size is not going to a rule...…...no worries there, size will be a preferred and logical wish...………..

I don't think we need to get hung up on this size subject, its all a matter of taste etc, more important to just keep posting great photos...:-)

Answer to thecedars, you can always delete or edit and post again with a different format...
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I generally host via Flickr using the medium option.
        I no longer upload direct to this site as I've definately had images go soft in the process.

Chris
        Junk on Flickr
        Even more Junk on Instagram

Comment

Windows image resizer...……….
          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Thank you MJ224.

The reason I mentioned trying to find an image resizer program is that I have tried one or two to downsize pictures to email to my son but the degredation has been such that the picture had lost all sharpness.

I've got FastStone photo resizer and have used a Canon (sorry for swearing) one and another which I uninstalled as fast as I had installed it, can't remember its name.

I'm using a desktop with Win10 and a Dell ultrasharp 2718 at 2560x1440.

Maybe I'm asking too much of free programs, maybe they all have difficulties like this, maybe I'm not using the programs properly, I'm not sure.

Anyway, again, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Comment

One advantage of Windows Image Resizer is that by default it saves the resized version as a separate file and leaves the original unchanged. It's quick and easy to use (just right-click on the image filename and choose your desired size) and does a pretty good job. I haven't noticed any significant image degradation, no more than would be expected from throwing away a lot of information and re-compressing a .jpg file.
              Regards
              Richard

Comment

I always resize images to 1024 pixels for the longest dimension.

The quickest way is to use an 'imagemagick' command on a command line eg.:

convert my_big_image.jpg -resize "1024>" my_smaller_image.jpg

It saves all the faff of opening (say) faststone, opening the image, selecting resize and the values and then exporting the image. It takes less than a second to resize a 4608x3456 pixel image on my slow laptop.

Imagemagick is free and available for all platforms. It's very powerful and has a huge number of features and options.

https://imagemagick.org/index.php

Jim

Comment

Seems to me that opening a command prompt and then typing that lot in would be rather more effort than simply right-clicking on the image in File Explorer, selecting "resize pictures" and pressing "OK" to resize to the last used settings .
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

The command I gave will resize the longest edge to 1024 pixels, whether it be the vertical in portrait or the width in landscape. It also doesn't alter the original image, which I imagine a Windows command would.

I've generally got a terminal window open, anyway.

Jim

Comment

No, the original image is left unchanged unless you check the "Resize original pictures" box (under Advanced Settings) in which case it will be overwritten. There's another check box "Make pictures smaller but not larger" so quality will not be compromised by enlargement.
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

I mentioned Imagemagick earlier and have just come across a web page giving many scripts to achieve various effects:

http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/index.php

I might be of interest to some of you.

Jim

Comment

Olympus Viewer and Olympus Workspace both have options to resize to the longest size (and adjust the compression [image size] when saving as JPEGs).
                          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                          Learn something new every day

Comment

For personnel stuff, I use the www.wetransfer.com to send up to 2gb for free. Photos can be just drag and drop. Files sent not downloaded within the week will be deleted. So it's drop and forget. You won't loose resolution and you don't get degrading.

But for posting, I use Flickr, I usually upload the largest but only post the "Large" selection.
                            * Henry
                            * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                              I always resize images to 1024 pixels for the longest dimension.
                              I do too. This is because my hosting website required that. That is no longer their requirement, so long as the files size is within their limit. They now have software such that you click on the posted image and it is shown at a standard, screen-fitting size.

I still upload my hosted images at 1024 pixels (1200 for stereo pairs). However, if I post those uploaded images here via the image address at the host site, they are much bigger on the page here than if I use the same size of image uploaded to my Public Images here.

Harold
                              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Working...
                              X