Could do with some guidance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could do with some guidance.

Hi all, So I'm new here and really could use some guidance please.

Currently E620 with kit lens, had this since 2010, was planning to start to learn how to become a hobby photographer rather than just a holiday snapper. I really want to get stuck in but finding things challenging in deciding what's best.

I am a beginner to Manual mode but Im told I do have a natural gift of finding pictures as oppose to just snapping away.

I currently have;
    Olympus 50-200mm ed none sud
    Olympus 9-18
    EC14 Teleconverter on 50-200 ed lens

I was originally looking at the EM10 mkiii but when I picked up the camera in real life it was much smaller than I was comfortable with although I love some of the tech in it.

Then Someone said just go straight for the EM1 mk ii, vast difference in price, Im not interested in any lenses at the moment other than perhaps the M43 45mm which gets raving reviews so the idea of the EM1 Mk ii seems not so far away but still a few hundred pounds more for brand new body only.

Now a friend said "hang on", Olympus are due to release the EM5 Mkiii on Oct 17th.

Im just so confused as to what to do.

Financially the obvious choice is the EM10 iii but 50-200 lens looks ridicules on small body, also told it would not be good on the 10 due to poor focus.

My head tells me just spend 900 on a body only EM1 mk ii, for some reason I'm struggling to make the right decision and need some opinions and view points, can anyone help point me in right direction please.

So thankful in advance.

Lee

Re: Could do with some guidance.

If you like the feel and the larger grip, ie. ergonomics, of the E-M1ii then go for it, You will be delighted. The larger grip will also feel better with longer lenses.

I do not like the small grip on the 5ii and from what I've seen, the new 5iii will be the same. Yes, I know you can get an add on grip for the 5ii and would hope it will fit the new 5iii but that remains to be seen.

Just my own personal preferences.

Comment

Thank you for that help, so the 5 is the same size as 10, ah, I didn't know that, yes I do like the feel of a dslr in my hands, the 10 just feels like a compact camera.

What do you think will happen to em1 ii prices in the next few month?, should I wait and see if they come down or do you think 900 for a brand new body is a good price?, its at HDEW Cameras in London, comes with 3 year warranty.

Thanks

Lee

Originally posted by Keith-369 View Post
      If you like the feel and the larger grip, ie. ergonomics, of the E-M1ii then go for it, You will be delighted. The larger grip will also feel better with longer lenses.

I do not like the small grip on the 5ii and from what I've seen, the new 5iii will be the same. Yes, I know you can get an add on grip for the 5ii and would hope it will fit the new 5iii but that remains to be seen.

Just my own personal preferences.

Comment

If you want to continue to use four-thirds, rather than micro 4/3 lenses, then you need a body with phase-detect AF, which currently means E-M1 Mk.i or ii. It is rumoured that the forthcoming E-M5 Mk.iii may also have this feature but it will be a smaller body, like previous E-M5 series.

I have both E-M5 and E-M1 Mk.ii and the E-M1 is significantly larger with chunkier controls and, in my opinion, a much better feel overall when using telephoto lenses..
        Mike
        visit my Natural History Photos website:
        http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Originally posted by kazandlee View Post
          Thank you for that help, so the 5 is the same size as 10, ah, I didn't know that, yes I do like the feel of a dslr in my hands, the 10 just feels like a compact camera.

What do you think will happen to em1 ii prices in the next few month?, should I wait and see if they come down or do you think 900 for a brand new body is a good price?, its at HDEW Cameras in London, comes with 3 year warranty.

Thanks

Lee

Comment

https://wow.olympus.eu/

Four Thirds lenses often come up for sale on this Forum and if you can get a 12-60 f/2.8 that will be excellent on the E620.

Equally MFT kit often goes up for sale here, so first master and improve your technique, then get kit that best suits your needs.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
              Four Thirds lenses often come up for sale on this Forum and if you can get a 12-60 f/2.8 that will be excellent on the E620.
              The 12-60 f2.8 is a magnificent lens! I miss mine since it developed a defect (broken aperture control ribbon).

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                https://wow.olympus.eu/

Equally MFT kit often goes up for sale here, so first master and improve your technique, then get kit that best suits your needs.

I agree with Graham. Use your E-620 until you know for sure what it is it can't do that you want it to do, then upgrade when you have a clearer idea of what you need.
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I would agree with Graham, Jim and John above. Looking at the equipment you have listed I see there are no lenses covering the range between the long end of your wide angle lens (18 mm) and the short end of your telephoto lens (50 mm). In practice the majority of photographs are taken with lenses between 18 ~ 40 mm focal length which you do not have in your present system!

(Four Thirds focal lengths quoted.)

I would suggest that you find yourself a good Zuiko 14 ~ 54 or 12 ~ 60 millimetre lens for everyday use. The 12 ~ 60 is a real cracker but the 14 ~ 54 is very good too and is available more cheaply.

Adding either of the above lenses will complete your present system, covering all focal lengths from very wide angle to long telephoto. Once you have got to grips with this completed system you can decide what you really want and need.
                  ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Thank you all for the honest advice, I wasn't expecting the advice to be more in the way of keeping my current set up, but, It would make sense and kind of feels right but yeah, I do need to invest in a pro lens in the range mentioned, I do have to kit 14-42 but in all honesty it feels a little cheap. Perhaps I will look around for a used 43rd used lens, at least if I decide to change later then I can carry this over to the em1 ii and by then the prices will have come down perhaps in 6 month or so. The wife will be really happy now lol.

Quite gutted though as yeah I really wanted a new camera but I know in my heart I've not used this one to its full potential yet.

Thank you so much to all of you, I will be posting my first pictures soon.

Lee

Comment

So I have seen a lens for sale on here, 12-60 pro for 220.00, I already have the 9-18mm, would there be a big overlap between the two lenses if I got the 12-60, should I sell the 9-18 or go for the 14-54, there are some on eBay for around 125.00 to 150

Regards

Lee

Comment

You got some great advice here as expected. If you are sticking with your E620 for now then that 12-60 I'd say is a no brainer. It's a superb piece of glass that would work nicely on either an EM1 mk1 or mk2 when you decided to upgrade. Oh and if it was me I'd also keep the 9-18mm for those occasional extra wide shots. If you find you never use it then it's ok to sell on but the price you'll get will be quite low I suspect.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Thanks again for all the advice everyone. 9-18 stays and I've pm'd the guy on here selling his 12-60. will keep you posted.

Thanks

Lee

Comment

I think you have been given excellent advice about learning as much as you can with the current camera. I only moved from 3/4 to micro4/3 when I hit some real desire to move on with a camera that could also do video because I was finding my camera bag too heavy with 2 sets of kit (still and video)

The 12-60 will be a good addition to what you have, but if for some reason you don't get that then consider the 14-54 which is almost the same range and an excellent lens - I used that as my main shooting lens when I was on 4/3 kit

I would however limit what 4/3 kit you get beyond that unless you think very hard about the possible move to micro 4/3. I have a lot of kit I don't use any more and whilst it will no doubt come up for sale here some time it's not something I would suggest a huge investment in to someone now

Regards
                            Andy
                            My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                            4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                            m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                            FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                            The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                            http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                            http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                            https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                            http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks Andy,

It sounds like good advice and as much as I wanted to go with a new camera, i think it was more about trying to keep up with the tech when really as people have said, I really need to develop my skills with the 620 first.

My kit is
                              14-42 kit lens
                              50-200m ed none swd
                              9-18
                              and if i can get it then the 12-60 will be the addition to replace the kit 14-42 and I will stop their as at least when I do change up to an em1 ii next year then I can take those lenses with me.

Going to the lakes for hols in 2 weeks and can't wait to get a new lens and try out.

Thanks

Lee

Originally posted by shenstone View Post
                              I think you have been given excellent advice about learning as much as you can with the current camera. I only moved from 3/4 to micro4/3 when I hit some real desire to move on with a camera that could also do video because I was finding my camera bag too heavy with 2 sets of kit (still and video)

The 12-60 will be a good addition to what you have, but if for some reason you don't get that then consider the 14-54 which is almost the same range and an excellent lens - I used that as my main shooting lens when I was on 4/3 kit

I would however limit what 4/3 kit you get beyond that unless you think very hard about the possible move to micro 4/3. I have a lot of kit I don't use any more and whilst it will no doubt come up for sale here some time it's not something I would suggest a huge investment in to someone now

Regards
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X