Could do with some guidance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could do with some guidance.

Between them the 14-54 or 12-60 plus the 50-200 (an excellent lens) will cover most of what you need and are easily transferred to an EM1 outfit if you decide to move. I had an E620 and liked it very much.
    David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Hey everyone....... I bought a lens!, 12-60mm from OlympusCharlie777 on here, he did me a real good deal and saw plenty of pics of it and looks in excellent condition. Cant wait to take it to the lakes next week. Will post some pics. Thank you to everyone on here for help given, really going to stay here and be a keen contributor and return the support I have been given. Thanks again, feel so much better and at peace I've done right thing in staying with current body but getting better glass.
      Lee

Comment

Good luck and enjoy.
        Glad you found the right decision for you, that's the most important thing. Hope the rain keeps off for you in the lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by kazandlee View Post
          Thanks again for all the advice everyone. 9-18 stays and I've pm'd the guy on here selling his 12-60. will keep you posted.

Thanks

Lee

That makes sense. The 12 ~ 60 is an excellent lens, but quite bulky. From memory the 9 ~ 18 is smaller and lighter so you might want to use that on occasions ratehr than the bigger lens. But see how you get on.
          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
            That makes sense. The 12 ~ 60 is an excellent lens, but quite bulky. From memory the 9 ~ 18 is smaller and lighter so you might want to use that on occasions ratehr than the bigger lens. But see how you get on.
            Also, in theory there is quite an overlap between the 9-18mm and the 12-60mm, but in practice the extra 3mm at the wide end of the 9-18mm makes a huge difference when you want to go really wide, much more than you'd think.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
              Also, in theory there is quite an overlap between the 9-18mm and the 12-60mm, but in practice the extra 3mm at the wide end of the 9-18mm makes a huge difference when you want to go really wide, much more than you'd think.
              Its worth mentioning that the 12 ~ 60 lens, good as it is, is quite a lot bigger and heavier than the very similar 12 ~ 54 optic.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Congratulations, looking forward to you posting your images from the Lakes.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

I thought about the 14-54 but it seemed logical to go with the 12-60 as it gives me just enough extra at both ends as a carry along with the need for the 9-18 and the 50-200 with me, I have the EC1.4 on the 50-200 and its a monster.lol.

Comment

I have an E-M5i and both the 12-60 and 50-200 FT lenses. The latter just doesn't work well on the E-M5i, the focus hunts a lot and the camera body is just too small, I found it difficult to zoom, so ergonomically it's a bit of a fail. I recently got an E-M1i and both those issues have been solved. Another vote for the 12-60, it's a terrific lens, and I used it a lot on an E-620 before I changed to mFT. If I want quality results then I go straight for the E-M1 plus 12-60. Enjoy the Lakes!
                    Regards
                    Richard

Comment

Daft question time but did you try the E-M10 with the optional grip?

Jim
                      Olympus E-M10/12-50/Panny 100-300 + Sony A77,Sigma 17-70,Sigma 10-20,Tamron 90,Minolta 70-210,Tamron Sigma 100-300 F4,Tamron 17-50 F2.8,Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye,Sony HVL-F42 + Panny TZ25
                      Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/shotokan101/
                      RIA my Images

Comment

I did yes but with my 50-200 even with the extended grip it still wasn't enough for me to feel comfortable with. I'm going to save my pennies, use my 620 to the max and learn as much as I can before moving up to the em1 ii.

Originally posted by shotokan101 View Post
                        Daft question time but did you try the E-M10 with the optional grip?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by kazandlee View Post
                          I'm going to save my pennies, use my 620 to the max and learn as much as I can before moving up to the em1 ii.
                          For what it's worth, I bought my EM-1 when it first came out and have seen no need to change to a latter model.

I do a lot of macro* and close-ups and my lens for that is the 4/3 50mm f2, often with the x2TC, via a converter. I do a lot of RC (off-camera) flash.

* I have special, manual lenses for above 1:1.

I use a Leica Panasonic 100-400 for longer reach. I also have some mid range and wide angle zooms, a mix of Olympus and Lumix (wider end).

Harold
                          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

What attracted me to Olympus is reduced size and weight. I know it's nice to hold that solid feeling in your hand when taking pictures but OMG lugging it round and a solid tripod... with a telephoto just puts me off taking the camera at all.
                            The Olympus 300mm f/4 is definitely quality but at 1475 g it's not light and the Panasonic 100-400mm zoom being only 985 g and $$$ cheaper was enough to persuade me!
                            Sony have promised a 70-350mm APS-C lens weighing a mere 625 g for about the same price as the Panny... it's a shame that E-Mount to MFT is not an adapter that is feasible due to flange distances.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelica View Post
                              What attracted me to Olympus is reduced size and weight. I know it's nice to hold that solid feeling in your hand when taking pictures but OMG lugging it round and a solid tripod... with a telephoto just puts me off taking the camera at all.
                              The Olympus 300mm f/4 is definitely quality but at 1475 g it's not light and the Panasonic 100-400mm zoom being only 985 g and $$$ cheaper was enough to persuade me!
                              Sony have promised a 70-350mm APS-C lens weighing a mere 625 g for about the same price as the Panny... it's a shame that E-Mount to MFT is not an adapter that is feasible due to flange distances.
                              Solid tripod? I haven't used one for several years and that was for long exposures.

Harold
                              The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
                                Solid tripod? I haven't used one for several years and that was for long exposures.

Harold
                                lol _ see your signature: "The body is willing but the mind is weak"
                                I have the opposite problem.: Trying to take pictures with 2.5kg of Nikon and Tamron telephoto ... and my arms are soon aching. Camera shake becomes a feature of every frame!
                                I shall be selling the Nikon DSLR as soon as my Panasonic lens arrives!

Comment

Working...
                                X