Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

More than one camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than one camera

Hi all
    I have the OMD EM1 mark 2, which is great.

I am thinking of getting a back up camera just in case ( I am not a professional)

Do you have a second body?

Is it a good idea?

Roy

Re: More than one camera

I have the EM1MK11 but my 100-400 stays on it, i have a Panasonic G80 to use with my 60mm macro.

Comment

The EM10 is worth considering as a backup. It lacks many of the features of the EM1ii but is much smaller, lighter and less expensive. It fits nicely in a cargo pocket with the 14-42EZ but will take all the MFT lenses if need be.
      David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

The EM10 is worth considering as a backup.
        my only concern would be if all the controls were different, I might forget where the buttons are at a crucial moment

Roy

Comment

I take my E-PM2 as a backup. I use it as a separate more portable system that can go into a jacket pocket or briefcase for quick snaps but on holiday it comes with me in case the E-M5i stops working for any reason. Yes, the controls (or lack of them) are completely different but at least I can still take pictures with all my lenses. If I'm just out for the day with my main system then I don't bother with a backup.
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

I have the EM1 MK11 but my 12-100 stays on it.
            I use a EM1 MK1 as my backup with 25mm and 45mm lens.

Dave

Comment

My iPhone is my main backup but I also have my old E-M5 which has stood-in a few times when my E-M1 needed repair. No problems so far with my E-M1-ii though.
              Mike
              visit my Natural History Photos website:
              http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

I use an E-P5 as a second body, which works well for me.
                Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Seems like an unnecessary expense unless you have critical requirements. In the event of a service or breakdown, maybe that would be the time to buy a second/alternative camera. If the principle of having a spare ‘just in case’, what about cars, toasters, phones, etc, etc?

If your main camera is a write-off, having a second-best option as a standby isn’t a strategy I’d adopt. That’s not to say that having separate cameras for different needs is an issue.

David
                  The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

I agree with Crazy Dave unless you have critical requirements why do you need a second camera? It's just more stuff to carry around and perhaps lose or damage. Are you sure it's not GAS that makes you want one?

My mobile phone camera is perfectly capable of taking good quality images if I don't have my Oly with me for over 90% of the pictures I take.

If it was for professional use that's a different story.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by royd63uk View Post
                      my only concern would be if all the controls were different, I might forget where the buttons are at a crucial moment

Roy
                      Maybe if you told us a bit more about your photographic need or usage it could help with the discussion...

For example
                      1. Do you intend to shoot with 2 cameras interchangeably during a single session? For example taking photos that might need 2 separate primes like a 75mm and 25mm?

2. Is it purely a backup that will only get used when your primary camera dies and you need an immediate backup ?

3. Are you planning a big trip like an African safari - where photography is a main activity and a broken camera would have a major impact on the trip

Comment

1. Do you intend to shoot with 2 cameras interchangeably during a single session? For example taking photos that might need 2 separate primes like a 75mm and 25mm?
                        No
                        2. Is it purely a backup that will only get used when your primary camera dies and you need an immediate backup ? yes

3. Are you planning a big trip like an African safari - where photography is a main activity and a broken camera would have a major impact on the trip possibly
                        Mmm probably best not too having read all your answers...Thanks

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I travel with 2 EM-1s. If topside I have different lenses on each so don't have to mess around swapping lenses. If diving, I can keep one body configured for UW work and it can stay in the housing, only needing to come out for battery and card changing whilst the other has a long lens on for the likes of dolphins and whales.

Steve
                            Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                            Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                            My website

Comment

Mike
                              Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X