Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Originally posted by Otto View Post
    AF is valuable when the viewfinder doesn't have any focussing aids (microprism etc) and your eyes are getting old like mine.
    Indeed, a great aid for ageing eyesight.

A short while ago I spent a day using scale focus, and more or less I was happy with all the results. All that's required is a lens with those weird number things around the things that turn.
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
      Indeed, a great aid for ageing eyesight.

A short while ago I spent a day using scale focus, and more or less I was happy with all the results. All that's required is a lens with those weird number things around the things that turn.
      That's okay if you're using a lens with a shortish focal length and a small aperture, but if you want subject isolation AF is a clear winner
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by IPWheatley View Post
        My suggestion to you is to sell all your digital gear as you are obviously not happy with modern technology and go back to taking your fuzzy, grainy snaps exclusively. You seem to enjoy being a Luddite. Regards, Ian W.
        Excuse me, but there is nothing fuzzy or grainy about my snaps!

We are talking about modern aids, bleeps and flashing lights getting in the way of composition, which I agree is an issue.

For what its worth the two fuzzy and grainy 'snaps' I have provided below were taken using film and without the benefit of autofocus or even a coupled light meter. Please tell me how 'digital technology' would have improved them?

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Everyone is talking about autofocus as if it’s something new in the digital age. I first encountered it when I moved from the Canon FD lens system with an AV-1 to the EF system and an EOS-5. Those early EF lenses still work on today’s EF mount Canon cameras. As others have said, it’s there if you want to use it, if not switch to MF and give it a go, you might struggle without any inbuilt focusing aids though but even so you’ll probably get a decent hit rate. People managed since long before AF appeared.

Comment

Nigel, love the top shot of Alnwick but the bottom one seems strangely blue to my eye (and default iPad setting)

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
              For what its worth the two fuzzy and grainy 'snaps' I have provided below were taken using film and without the benefit of autofocus or even a coupled light meter. Please tell me how 'digital technology' would have improved them?
              The colour in the second one is definitely weird. Fujichrome Velvia 50 by any chance?

AF and other aids don't necessarily "improve" results, but they make getting good (technically, at least) results easier and faster.
              Regards
              Richard

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                Nigel, love the top shot of Alnwick but the bottom one seems strangely blue to my eye (and default iPad setting)
                Both were scanned from Velvia 50. The lighting for the second image was slightly odd (late afternoon in late autumn) but it looks fine to me on my computer screen and iPad.

On critical examination there is some blue visible in the leaves and on the black seat handle but I think that is simply the reflection of the very deep blue sky at the time.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Both were scanned from Velvia 50. The lighting for the second image was slightly odd (late afternoon in late autumn) but it looks fine to me on my computer screen and iPad.

On critical examination there is some blue visible in the leaves and on the black seat handle but I think that is simply the reflection of the very deep blue sky at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                    Ŵhat about the annoying green light used to confirm focus?

On my E-M1-ii it is very discreet - sometimes I wish it was more obvious!

As others have said, AF is almost essential in cases where fast movement is involved, such as birds in flight, but MF is much better for macro or shots where it is important to select a particularly point on the subject.

I find that the focus points in the finder are all too often distracted by surrounding objects and are useless for finding birds amongst foliage, for example. Setting the magnified view in the finder when using MF is a great help, in ensuring that key parts of the subject are critically sharp.
                    Mike
                    visit my Natural History Photos website:
                    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                      .......but MF is much better for macro or shots where it is important to select a particularly point on the subject.

Comment

There's blue everywhere on my screen too. If the bench and leaves were wet (which they look) I can see why the sky would cause that effect but given it's all in the shade anyway I'd have used an 81 or 85 warming filter. I just tried an 85 at 45% in Photoshop and I think it helps (see attachment)
                        Attached Files
                        Regards
                        Richard

Comment

Ouch!

There's blue everywhere on my screen too. If the bench and leaves were wet (which they look) I can see why the sky would cause that effect but given it's all in the shade anyway I'd have used an 81 or 85 warming filter. I just tried an 85 at 45% in Photoshop and I think it helps (see attachment)
                          Thank you for your constructive comments Richard. As you know Velvia 50 tends to produce highly saturated colours so it is likely to exacerbate the effects of unusual lighting conditions.

I still prefer the original on my screens but will try adjusting the image in Photoshop when I have taken some lessons on how to load the programme.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

I still prefer the original on my screens but will try adjusting the image in Photoshop when I have taken some lessons on how to load the programme.
                            Or simply look at your screen through an 85 filter .
                            Regards
                            Richard

Comment

Or simply look at your screen through an 85 filter .
                              I will have a play with filters in Photoshop later, but if it really is 'awash with blue' there is something more fundamental wrong.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Richards version does look much better but it’s now looking too purple.

Sorry to be critical yet offer no assistance in what’s actually wrong but I don’t know where to begin. I’d take a look at the original image / negative / slide to see what it looked like before it entered into the world of 1’s and 0’s.

Comment

Working...
                                X