Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
    Ŵhat about the annoying green light used to confirm focus?
    It's not annoying since it tells me that the focus acquisition has worked. In any case, I use the small focus point so it's hardly distracting.
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
      The green light doesn't bother me and I find the bleep reassuring.
      I find constant muttering to myself helps too!
      Paul
      flickr
      Portfolio Site
      Instagram

Comment

Ŵhat about the annoying green light used to confirm focus?
        It is The Universal Green and being solitary symbolises the unity of Nature with the Oneness of the Human Spirit. It's very Zen if you stare at it long enough - but I find that often the battery gives out before you achieve the desired spiritual state.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
          I find constant muttering to myself helps too!
          Definitely!
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I don't particularly like auto focus but it does come in handy sometimes. I much prefer to focus manually and I usually do a better job than the camera because I know what I want to focus on.

I enjoy the simplicity of the waist level finders on my medium format cameras and the bright, clear viewfinders on my old OM cameras with fast primes attached. I find the current crop of lenses and viewfinders much less satisfying to use by comparison.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

AF was my salvation, especially with those Fresnel screens...
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                I don't particularly like auto focus but it does come in handy sometimes. I much prefer to focus manually and I usually do a better job than the camera because I know what I want to focus on.

I enjoy the simplicity of the waist level finders on my medium format cameras and the bright, clear viewfinders on my old OM cameras with fast primes attached. I find the current crop of lenses and viewfinders much less satisfying to use by comparison.
                I particularly like the RF, no black out when the shutter operates, easier to focus in bad igniting, being able to see outside the frame (I've just acquired a 90mm Summicron and the breathing space around the frame lines is fabulous) helping with compositional decisions. Also, there's no bleeping or green focus LEDs confirming focus - no need.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Here we goes again. Let me ask you two questions Steve. 1. Why did men like HCB and the rest use cameras like the Leica RF back in their day? Answer. Because it was the best available to them at the time. 2. If they were still around today would they now be shooting Digital? Answer. You bet your sweet life they would, they were innovators and would have embraced modern technology wholeheartedly.

My suggestion to you is to sell all your digital gear as you are obviously not happy with modern technology and go back to taking your fuzzy, grainy snaps exclusively. You seem to enjoy being a Luddite. Regards, Ian W.

Comment

Originally posted by IPWheatley View Post
                    Here we goes again. Let me ask you two questions Steve. 1. Why did men like HCB and the rest use cameras like the Leica RF back in their day? Answer. Because it was the best available to them at the time. 2. If they were still around today would they now be shooting Digital? Answer. You bet your sweet life they would, they were innovators and would have embraced modern technology wholeheartedly.

My suggestion to you is to sell all your digital gear as you are obviously not happy with modern technology and go back to taking your fuzzy, grainy snaps exclusively. You seem to enjoy being a Luddite. Regards, Ian W.
                    Are you not aware that there are digital RFs - Leica make several and I own one. Manual focus of course. Ok I can't take successful pictures of 'birds in flight', but why would I wish to do so.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Why is this thread like those youngsters seeing a 35mm film camera going goo gaa. and some even want to buy a 35mm and shoot film I tell them, set that ISO to 200, close that screen inwards, off the SCP, turn off that review, Turn that WB to Sunlight, Turn it to Manual, limit to 36 shots only don't review the shots taken till a week later. You have a 35mm film camera there.

P.S. Pay for the 4R prints.

You are now in the digital age. Just embrace it. Concentrate on the composition, Let what you paid for handle the rest.
                      * Henry
                      * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                        Why is this thread like those youngsters seeing a 35mm film camera going goo gaa. and some even want to buy a 35mm and shoot film I tell them, set that ISO to 200, close that screen inwards, off the SCP, turn off that review, Turn that WB to Sunlight, Turn it to Manual, limit to 36 shots only don't review the shots taken till a week later. You have a 35mm film camera there.

P.S. Pay for the 4R prints.

You are now in the digital age. Just embrace it. Concentrate on the composition, Let what you paid for handle the rest.
                        Who mentioned film? That's a totally different debate, but not here.
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

AF is valuable when the viewfinder doesn't have any focussing aids (microprism etc) and your eyes are getting old like mine.
                          Regards
                          Richard

Comment

In answer to Richos question, I am well aware that there are digital RFs, I own one, namely the Fuji XPro1 coupled with six Fuji XF lenses. Superb and at a fraction of the cost of a Leica. Out of all the cameras I own this is my go to, and paired with my 14mm prime I would say it compares favourably with anything from Leica . Regards, Ian W.

Comment

..easier to focus in bad igniting
                              Is that what causes hot pixels?
                              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by IPWheatley View Post
                                In answer to Richos question, I am well aware that there are digital RFs, I own one, namely the Fuji XPro1 coupled with six Fuji XF lenses. Superb and at a fraction of the cost of a Leica. Out of all the cameras I own this is my go to, and paired with my 14mm prime I would say it compares favourably with anything from Leica . Regards, Ian W.
                                I agree - I still fail to see the value proposition of Leica. Maybe there's a lifetime repair angle, but from a price/features/results perspective it doesn't make sense at all.
                                Paul
                                flickr
                                Portfolio Site
                                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X