Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The beauty of grain

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
    For example, I wouldn't change a 'pixel' of the knackered and grainy images shot on Omaha Beach as Robert Capa struggled off the landing craft. This adds to the story, which includes how the film was damaged and almost lost during processing.
    But I'd bet that if the images had been 'perfect' in the first place, you wouldn't say 'I wish that the images were knackered and grainy, because it would add to the story!'

My memories of film days are that grain was an evil that needed to be struggled against by the manufactures of the film and developers, as well as the users.

Jim

Comment

Re: The beauty of grain

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
      But I'd bet that if the images had been 'perfect' in the first place, you wouldn't say 'I wish that the images were knackered and grainy, because it would add to the story!'

My memories of film days are that grain was an evil that needed to be struggled against by the manufactures of the film and developers, as well as the users.

Jim
      True, Jim, but we would lose the interesting back story. I agree that Arbus' images would be better if technically improved, but Moriyama's would mostly be pretty dull if they were!
      Regards,
      Mark

------------------------------
      http://www.microcontrast.com
      Too much Oly gear.
      Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
      Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Working...
      X