P30 Pro - Unbelievable Quality!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P30 Pro - Unbelievable Quality!

The big problem with phone cameras of course is the handling. I just don't like holding a flat rectangle at arms' length like a stinky nappy and farting around with a touch screen.
    Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
      The big problem with phone cameras of course is the handling. I just don't like holding a flat rectangle at arms' length like a stinky nappy and farting around with a touch screen.
      Strange, I was just thinking that earlier today. It's not a natural posture or action, and the risk of the thing falling is probably pretty high..... but, as much as I love my Oly gear, I'm just not the type who carries a camera with me, it's always a planned event for me so this will do nicely for other times when I wish I had the camera with me.....

Comment

on some smart phones one or more of the side buttons will actuate the shutter so you can grasp the phone while exposing rather than stabbing at the phone.
        This space for rent

Comment

You need a selfish stick, whirl it around then like a drum majorette on speed

Comment

I have a Bluetooth trigger and sound activated photo apps

Lots of options
            Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Youíre right, but I think itís down to our age bracket. You watch a younger person handle the phones in camera mode and they simply walk it.
              You can get an accessory for some phones that gives you a shutter button and a small grip which makes is more camera like but it still looks a faff. For me, having a phone in my pocket whenever Iím out makes up for the negatives (no pun!) and the actual quality of any images is less important than the fact Iíve got an image I might not otherwise have.

Comment

Our son had the Huawei P20 for a while. The photo quality was remarkably good, even when printed. Unfortunately an intermittent fault developed with the microphone after about four months so he was unable to make or receive phone calls!

The repair time quoted by Huawei was 'three to four weeks', and no courtesy phone was available. He needs the phone for his work so this was not acceptable.

After some negotiation Curry's PC World gave him a full refund against a new iPhone X, which he chose because he knows the Apple store offers same-day and while you wait repairs.

On an entirely different subject our son had not been able to access his employer's corporate network on the Huawei and also had problems with other secure connections. He was not able to set up Android Pay or whatever it is called which had not been a problem on his previous Sony Z3, or on his new iPhone.

But the photographic quality was remarkably good.
                ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Oh dear...

Looks like GCHQ will be delving in your photos folder.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47830056
                  Regards,
                  Mark

------------------------------
                  http://www.microcontrast.com
                  Too much Oly gear.
                  Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                  Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Are the concerns over Huawei security firmware or hardware related? It firmware related they should go away if the phone is flashed with an open source Android Open Source Project based firmware.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                      Are the concerns over Huawei security firmware or hardware related? It firmware related they should go away if the phone is flashed with an open source Android Open Source Project based firmware.

Jim
                      Will that retain any, or perhaps all, the fancy software running the camera?

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                        Will that retain any, or perhaps all, the fancy software running the camera?
                        Depends on the distribution. I use AOSPExtended 'Pie' on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, which has most of the 'bells and whistles' that 'Pie' offers, plus other tweaks added by the developers. The phone was originally sold with 'Marshmallow', but is readily flashable to the latest Android version.

Jim

Comment

Is there a rollback option to the official firmware or might it be a case of tough? I can understand people being reluctant if that was the case and you risk losing features of an expensive device.
                          As a side note, my Motorola G6 recently updated to Pie, which was nice, although I can’t detect much difference beyond the colours of a few icons!

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
                            Is there a rollback option to the official firmware or might it be a case of tough?
                            You can usually download and flash the original firmware, but I've never done so:

https://huaweiadvices.com/huawei-fir...tock-firmware/

As a side note, my Motorola G6 recently updated to Pie, which was nice, although I canít detect much difference beyond the colours of a few icons!
                            Have you not enabled 'gestures'? The pop-out side-bar for sound is handy.
                            I flashed my six years old Moto G with Pie. I think it originally came with Kit-Kat.

Jim

Comment

Back to the new phone!

Short video of it doing it's thing with OIS and night shooting, then the final (drastically resized) resulting image. Yes, it was bloody dark!

*Video*
                              https://flic.kr/p/Tk4t4u

Final Image

EXIF

The full sized image can be seen here..... https://flic.kr/p/24RKG3v

Comment

Interesting copmparison with the Xiaomi Mi 9 here:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUDEbTRgSg"]Huawei P30 PRO vs Xiaomi Mi 9 | Camera Comparison & Review ūüĒ• - YouTube[/ame]

The P30 Pro seems to be better in many (but by no means all) tests - but bearing in mind that it's twice the price, is it twice as good as the Mi 9?

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X