ISO is Fake - Seriously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO is Fake - Seriously

Very interesting video from Tony Northrop. OK perhaps its clickbait but nevertheless he does make a point and Oly come out as one of the worst offenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=QVuI89YWAsw
    Dave

My Flickr

Re: ISO is Fake - Seriously

There is nothing new in that. Compact cameras in particular have often reported wildly optimistic ISO speeds to help keep noise down.

Unlike film a digital camera is effectively a closed system so it can report whatever ISO it likes as long as the exposure is about right.
    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

The ISO values many of today's cameras reach are above any defined in any ISO standards. I suspect the problem is the length of time it takes to approve ISO methods, which is generally many years.
      Mike
      Compulsive photographic Dabbler.
      Flickr

Comment

There are two different industry standard interpretations of ISO calibration (at least).

Ian
        Founder and editor of:
        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
        sigpic

Comment

https://www.dxomark.com/About/In-dep...SO-sensitivity
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Shouldn't ISO be a standardised unit?
            Can see problems for those who need it to be such as metering in a studio type setting.

Not much of a problem for the likes of myself who uses it in a less measured way.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrochemist View Post
              The ISO values many of today's cameras reach are above any defined in any ISO standards. I suspect the problem is the length of time it takes to approve ISO methods, which is generally many years.
              Surely the ISO sensitivity of a film or digital camera is a logarithmic function, so it is simply calculated from a standard of (say) 100?
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

It's a nonsense video. Measuring ISO on digital cameras is highly open to interpretation, and as Ian says there are at least two "standard" ways of doing it. Honestly, TN is just a click-bait merchant. Avoid him.
                Paul
                E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                  It's a nonsense video. Measuring ISO on digital cameras is highly open to interpretation, and as Ian says there are at least two "standard" ways of doing it. Honestly, TN is just a click-bait merchant. Avoid him.

What does he say that is nonsense? Please share, I genuinely don't know where you get that from? Did you actually watch it?

The basic point is that ISO on a digital camera is not a standard despite what manufacturers try and convince us it is. On Astro cameras they are honest and simply call it Gain.

Yes, Tony does create clickbait but at least if you are going to be critical have some facts that prove he is wrong.
                  Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                    The basic point is that ISO on a digital camera is not a standard despite what manufacturers try and convince us it is. On Astro cameras they are honest and simply call it Gain.
                    That is exactly what I said.
                    ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

ISO is indeed a standard for digital camera jpgs, just as it was for negative and positive film. And just as happened in film days, different manufacturers’ ISO assignments for their products is a matter of judgement that is and was open to dispute by users.

Back in the day, some serious photogs would buy a brick of film (a bunch of rolls from one manufacturing lot) and use the first roll to carefully test and determine what the “real” ISO they would use for the rest of the brick.

Today, many digital cameras give us the opportunity to tune our view of their ISO to our liking by setting a permanent offset in the menu.
                      Instagram: TheBassmanBlog
                      My Blog: TheBassmanBlog.com
                      My Pictures: abbeyworks.smugmug.com

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman51 View Post
                          ISO is indeed a standard for digital camera jpgs, just as it was for negative and positive film. And just as happened in film days, different manufacturers’ ISO assignments for their products is a matter of judgement that is and was open to dispute by users.

Back in the day, some serious photogs would buy a brick of film (a bunch of rolls from one manufacturing lot) and use the first roll to carefully test and determine what the “real” ISO they would use for the rest of the brick.

Today, many digital cameras give us the opportunity to tune our view of their ISO to our liking by setting a permanent offset in the menu.
                          You are correct that the ISO standard applies to digital cameras (and not just Jpeg images) just as it does to film. However, the difference is that digital cameras often deviate wildly from that standard whereas better quality film cameras and light meters had to be within half a stop or so; especially if transparency films were being used.

In my experience any deviation in film cameras was fairly linear, so setting the film speed a third of a stop faster than rated was all that was needed to ensure perfect exposure and saturation when using transparencies. Even using consumer films I didn't find much variation from the clamed speed. (Negatives have massive exposure latitude so a stop either way didn't matter too much.)

However, in my experience once again, the true ISO sensitivity of digital cameras tends to be fairly close to the ISO standard at lower speeds, but falls a long way short at higher speeds; therefore providing much cleaner images than would be possible if ISO sensitivity was somewhere near what is should have been. That fact that current digital cameras provide a much wider range of ISO sensitivities only exacerbates this effect.

In my view this is little different to motor manufacturers who make false claims about fuel consumption or CO2/NOX emissions. In every case the deviation benefits the manufacturer more than the consumer, and is used as a selling tool.
                          ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                            And that is totally why I won't even make an appropriate comment on the video, since I would only be adding to his 'click-bait' count.
                            Ross
                            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                              You are correct that the ISO standard applies to digital cameras (and not just Jpeg images) just as it does to film. However, the difference is that digital cameras often deviate wildly from that standard whereas better quality film cameras and light meters had to be within half a stop or so; especially if transparency films were being used.

In my experience any deviation in film cameras was fairly linear, so setting the film speed a third of a stop faster than rated was all that was needed to ensure perfect exposure and saturation when using transparencies. Even using consumer films I didn't find much variation from the clamed speed. (Negatives have massive exposure latitude so a stop either way didn't matter too much.)

However, in my experience once again, the true ISO sensitivity of digital cameras tends to be fairly close to the ISO standard at lower speeds, but falls a long way short at higher speeds; therefore providing much cleaner images than would be possible if ISO sensitivity was somewhere near what is should have been. That fact that current digital cameras provide a much wider range of ISO sensitivities only exacerbates this effect.

In my view this is little different to motor manufacturers who make false claims about fuel consumption or CO2/NOX emissions. In every case the deviation benefits the manufacturer more than the consumer, and is used as a selling tool.
                              we
                              Instagram: TheBassmanBlog
                              My Blog: TheBassmanBlog.com
                              My Pictures: abbeyworks.smugmug.com

Comment

Working...
                              X