Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Fieldcraft for Wildlife Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fieldcraft for Wildlife Photography

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Re: Fieldcraft for Wildlife Photography

Originally posted by Johnheatingman
    Hiding behind a bush in your local park, camera poised, dressed in a cat suit, false nails and sporting a twitching bushy tail you could attract more attention than you bargained for. Not all from the wildlife either !

John
    Yes with luck..................
    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

It depends on what you mean by camouflaged. If hidden in a hide yes, if looking like an ad for your local army surplus shop then no. Most wildlife isn't fooled by a human in camouflage unless you take it to the extreme and sit there motionless. In which case you may as well have set a hide up.

Some wildlife isn't fooled by a hide. But some dog walkers can be oblivious to one until a disembodied voice tells them to procreate away. And then gets even ruder when they don't.
      It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Hiding behind a bush in your local park, camera poised, dressed in a cat suit, false nails and sporting a twitching bushy tail you could attract more attention than you bargained for. Not all from the wildlife either !

John
        Hahahahaha .... Love it ...

Comment

Happy to give you mirth, but subject was intended to be serious, as far as our photo ambitions go.............

Just hoping to engage some fieldcraft tips/experiences..........
          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Sorry Mark. My fault as usual.

John
            As usual John..........

Was hoping for constructive remarks/help

Don't mind the p*** being taken, but along with that, hoping for the above
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I don't know if you can learn fieldcraft on a photo forum, you learn it by being out in the field. One important aspect is being a good naturalist, learn to observe the subjects behavior and body language so you can anticipate what it's likely to do. Being familiar with body language is especially important when stalking. You need to know when to hold your position and when the subject is relaxed enough for you to approach it.
              It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Subjects almost always fly away when approached................

My reference to cats (ha ha) is maybe they have a good approach by being still and maybe hidden (nets) and await their prey, in our case a few photos...........

But I enjoy a walk, and really do not want to sit still and hidden for hours, thus bringing up the subject of photo field craft.

Hoped to have a tip or two from fellow wildlife photographers, as my results are mediocre to say the least..................

CATS Pussy if you wanna laugh.................

JFC
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Hi John,

Twas not your reply that irritated..........

Was quite amusing as your usual comments can be..........

Without mentioning names the other comment was beginning to ridicule my honest approach to fieldcraft for photographers.......

Dunno if you are interested in wildlife photography, but getting the little buggers to sit still whilst I switch on the oly, and decide which setting I want or need, is a little tricky.

Thus whilst landscapes portraits flowers and still life can be so tricky to get exposures etc right, my sodding little and big birds just do not hang around to be photo'd easily..................

Whilst the forum sits on oly cams, I hope one or two of us like wildlife photos, and thus appreciate friendly advice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A little under the weather, no offence intended,

WTF, genuine help and experience is appreciated................................
                  Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

I'm going on one of Tesni Wars courses to learn how to track down and photograph hares....

Theres no mention of camouflage being required!
                    I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Probably a white jacket for winter scenes...

Definitely not RED

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                      I'm going on one of Tesni Wars courses to learn how to track down and photograph hares....

Theres no mention of camouflage being required!
                      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X