Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

WWT Welney "photographers hide"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WWT Welney "photographers hide"

PS everyone look at posts 6 and 7 for an idea of how far away the birds are, the swan stretching it's wings is at the far side of the lagoon thing...

Comment

Comment

Just (nearly 11am) had a little play stalking blackbirds in the back garden and, with 100% cloud cover and light snow falling, ISO1600 is fine at f4 to give shutter speeds of well over 1/1600 with the 300 with exposure correction for dark birds flying against bright(ish) sky and snow.
        Regards,
        Mark

------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Regards,
          Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Thanks for the update Walti, we intend to be there for circa 09:00, I'll text you if we encounter any delays.

Mark,

for Winter boots I'd recommend Jack Wolfskin Snow Boots, I wore them in the Cairngorms in February this year, my feet didn't get cold once.

For Winter wellies, I'd recommend Muck Boots Arctic Sport, I stood in a Yorkshire river in April for over an hour and my feet remained comfortably warm throughout.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DavyG View Post
              for Winter boots I'd recommend Jack Wolfskin Snow Boots, I wore them in the Cairngorms in February this year, my feet didn't get cold once.

For Winter wellies, I'd recommend Muck Boots Arctic Sport, I stood in a Yorkshire river in April for over an hour and my feet remained comfortably warm throughout.

Dave
              I'm currently undecided between something like Muck Arctic boots and the winter waterproof boot range from Sorel. I've got a wide forefoot but narrow heel, so getting boots that don't crush my toes while holding the heel securely is frequently a problem.

Could you possibly bring the Muck boots along whether you're going to wear them or not, Dave?

It would be really helpful to have a look at them to see if it may be worth either tracking down some to try on in a shop, or ordering some anyway from Amazon (some of the suppliers offer free returns). How do you find their fit?

There are some Keen winter boots that I know would be comfortable since I have several of their other boots and shoes, but unfortunately the tops are too narrow for me.
              Regards,
              Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                I'm currently undecided between something like Muck Arctic boots and the winter waterproof boot range from Sorel. I've got a wide forefoot but narrow heel, so getting boots that don't crush my toes while holding the heel securely is frequently a problem.

Could you possibly bring the Muck boots along whether you're going to wear them or not, Dave?

It would be really helpful to have a look at them to see if it may be worth either tracking down some to try on in a shop, or ordering some anyway from Amazon (some of the suppliers offer free returns). How do you find their fit?

There are some Keen winter boots that I know would be comfortable since I have several of their other boots and shoes, but unfortunately the tops are too narrow for me.
                I'll have both type of boots with me tomorrow Mark.

I find the Muck Boots fit very well, a friend of mine has a pair and he walks for miles in his.

Dave

Comment

Bril, thanks
                  Regards,
                  Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Just spent a great day there!

Good to meet up with Dave, Anita, Mark and Rob.

Just got home to realise my feet are cold!

Comment

Anita and I have just got home from a very enjoyable day at WWT Welney.

It was great to meet Paul, Mark and Rob.

Thanks to Paul (Walti) for taking the time to organise the day, it's very much appreciated.

Dave

Comment

Yes, I had a great time too - nice photography, nice location, unexpectedly good cafe and most of all, excellent company. Let's see if I have any shots worth sharing! Maybe even a comparative novice with less up to date and comparatively cheapskate kit (E-M1 Mark 1 and FT lenses) might contribute something of value. (I prefer to think of photograpy as sharing to give pleasure rather than competing. And actually I rather enjoy the effort of observation, composition and capture even if no-one sees my photos).

This particular hide at the Welney Reserve lets you get very close indeed to some of the wildfowl - mainly mallards, pochards, mute swans, whooper swans, wigeon, greylag geese etc. More species including godwits visible at a distance more suited to binoculars / telescopes / digiscoping than 400mm lenses. (Others were using Oly 300 & 1.4x TC or Pan 100-400; I had 50-200 & 2x TC)

Comment

Originally posted by RobEW View Post
                          Yes, I had a great time too - nice photography, nice location, unexpectedly good cafe and most of all, excellent company. Let's see if I have any shots worth sharing! Maybe even a comparative novice with less up to date and comparatively cheapskate kit (E-M1 Mark 1 and FT lenses) might contribute something of value. (I prefer to think of photograpy as sharing to give pleasure rather than competing. And actually I rather enjoy the effort of observation, composition and capture even if no-one sees my photos).

This particular hide at the Welney Reserve lets you get very close indeed to some of the wildfowl - mainly mallards, pochards, mute swans, whooper swans, wigeon, greylag geese etc. More species including godwits visible at a distance more suited to binoculars / telescopes / digiscoping than 400mm lenses. (Others were using Oly 300 & 1.4x TC or Pan 100-400; I had 50-200 & 2x TC)

Rob

This forum is quite civilised and if you were to post photos and ask for gentle critique you will find that any help that can be given will be! So please do post some of your photos from the day.

Comment

Glad you had a good day.

Just a suggestion (from someone who wasn't there) - would you like to start a new thread where participants could share photos from the day? Perhaps, optionally of course, with a bit more explanation than usual about what you were trying to achieve, what the challenges were and how you addressed them?

In the general bird photography thread I think it could just get a bit lost. But if we have a focal point to share the experience we could all learn from it.

John

Comment

Regards,
                              Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

It's a pity a haven't seen this thread earlier !

Comment

Working...
                                X