windows on mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows on mac

I want to use a programme, picturetoexe on my mac but it will only run on windows.
    I have an intel mac and wondered if anyone has any advice re this. I have used a mac for some time but am a novice when it comes to this sort of stuff.
    Cheers.
    sigpicDave

Re: windows on mac

You need Parallels, Dave. It allows you to run windows, in a window on a Mac! You'll need to get a copy of XP or Vista too. However, it does run very well indeed. In fact, firefox, running in a window, in windows running in a window on my Mac, runs faster than firefox in a window in windows on my Dell!

true.
    John

Comment

Is it easy to install John.
      Should I buy from the Apple store or somewhere else?
      Questions questions, its all new to me.
      sigpicDave

Comment

No probs Dave, questions are good.

I like to buy all my Mac stuff from the Apple store, so I'd get it from there although PC World is as good for software etc.

If you have a CD copy of XP or Vista you may be able to use this legitimately if you remove it from the original PC.

I had a copy of XP that I used on an old Del laptop (I have two Dell laptops because I upgraded), and I had purchased a copy of XP Pro for that machine as it only came with XP Home Ed. So this is what I used when I installed XP on my Mac.

You install parallels first, then when you launch that, if it doesn't find a copy of Windows, it asks you where the install file is. Use that, and it installs XP perfectly.

It sounds confusing, but it is a straightforward process really.
        John

Comment

In fact, here's a screenshot of Firefox, running in a window, in Windows XP, running in a window, on my Mac

John

Comment

Thanks for this John.
            I now see that I have bootcamp on my mac so I will read the manual and use that.
            Cheers.
            sigpicDave

Comment

Hi Dave

There is also VirtualBox which is free and has very good documentation and I have found very good, and VMware which again is very good but not free.

Jon
              My Flickr

E-420 | 14-42 | 40-150 | 35mm Macro | Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm 2.4 | Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm 3.5 | Industar 50mm 3.5 Pancake

Comment

Hi

Pictures to Exe, the best slide sound program out there, is due to release a Mac version sometime this year, if your using the latest ver 6 you can of course create an Exe to run on a Mac anyway.

If you can be patient it might be worth the wait.

Regards

Tom
                "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

Originally posted by tomphotofx View Post
                  Hi

Pictures to Exe, the best slide sound program out there, is due to release a Mac version sometime this year, if your using the latest ver 6 you can of course create an Exe to run on a Mac anyway.

If you can be patient it might be worth the wait.

Regards

Tom
                  Yes I know Tom, but I want to make the show on a mac and show it on a PC in my camera club 'cos they use a PC.
                  sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                    Yes I know Tom, but I want to make the show on a mac and show it on a PC in my camera club 'cos they use a PC.
                    Dave

Have you thought of simply using MS Powerpoint on the Mac to create the slideshow?
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                      Dave

Have you thought of simply using MS Powerpoint on the Mac to create the slideshow?
                      Yes I have but picturetiexe is the business for club competitions.
                      sigpicDave

Comment

Hi Dave,

You might want to chech out the Mac program 'SlideShow for Mac OS X'. I don't know if it is on par with picturetoexe, but it makes stand-alone slideshows that will run on a PC.

Karel
                        Visit my panorama site: http://www.360vr.nl
                        Twitter: 360vr_nl

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                          Yes I have but picturetiexe is the business for club competitions.
                          You have got to be kidding!. (If you are yalking about club digital image competitions)

Have a look at Dicentra ( http://www.wilburimaging.com/wisoftw...ra.htm#OrgComp )

Thiis allows all of the facilities that you need to run competitions, (lightbox, scoring , scoresheets etc.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by keithrsmith View Post
                            You have got to be kidding!. (If you are yalking about club digital image competitions)

Have a look at Dicentra ( http://www.wilburimaging.com/wisoftw...ra.htm#OrgComp )

Thiis allows all of the facilities that you need to run competitions, (lightbox, scoring , scoresheets etc.

Keith
                            No I am not kidding. Our club members use Pictureto exe for Audio Visual shows. Lots of diffefrent transitions, music Etc. I have seen the shows and they are good.

The AV needs to be an executable file, (whatever that is, I don't need to know) and PTE does that. As does Pro show gold I think.

The programme you are advocating does not do what I want. It is for a completely different purpose.
                            sigpicDave

Comment

Ahh all is clear now -sorry, I thought you were talking about digital imaging competitions - i.e modern slide competitions.

Yes P2E is good for AV shows - Proshow Gold is - in my opinion - easier to use, but does the same job.

One issue you may come across if you are trying to run P2E on the Mac is that it makes use of the graphics card, for its transitions , so may not work too well in the virtual machiine.

Executable files are just that - P2E generates actual programs that runs on the computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X