Previews not visible in LR import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previews not visible in LR import

When I import raw files into LR 2.6, the previews (in the import box) are not visible. Not sure why this should suddenly happen, could it be because I updated LR to 2.6?
    sigpicDave

Re: Previews not visible in LR import

Works ok for me Dave.
    David

Flickr

Comment

Certainly don't think it's anything to do with upgrading to 2.6. What exactly are you importing - from what camera? As DNG or native RAW files? Have you tried converting to DNG on import to try to rule out incompatible Raw files?

Is the little box bottom left ticked to "show previews"?
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
        Certainly don't think it's anything to do with upgrading to 2.6. What exactly are you importing - from what camera? As DNG or native RAW files? Have you tried converting to DNG on import to try to rule out incompatible Raw files?

Is the little box bottom left ticked to "show previews"?
        Yes.

It's really quite strange. There are pics on the card that have previews showing, and others, taken at a later date, not showing.
        Earlier ones are jpg, newer are raw. Maybe thats why?
        sigpicDave

Comment

Well yes, but unless you are trying to import Raw files from an unsupported camera, then they should appear in Preview. Come to think about it, even unsupported files should be able to show a preview from the embedded thumbnail. FWIW LR2.6 will import, and show on preview prior to import, any Raw file from any camera I care to throw at it. Even the Canon G11 which has only just been introduced.

Have you tried a different memory card?
          Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

The camera is an E 3 which I have had no problems with previously. I am importing a couple of shots I took this morning without any problems, from a different card.
            Could it be because some of the images were taken with an E 300? They showed wheras the ones from an E 3 did not. I will try the suspect card again.
            sigpicDave

Comment

Strange. Both cameras are long-time supported, and there should be no problem with mixing the two sets of images on one card. Have you checked with Lightroom's support site?
              Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

Hi

Just a thought, but if you look at the suspect card via the desktop, can you see the image files there? If you can, then the problem is somehow due to Lightroom. If you can't see the files on the card via the desktop, then I think you may have a faulty card.

What type of card is it and how old is it? Also, do you always format you card in camera each time you use it?
                Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                  Well yes, but unless you are trying to import Raw files from an unsupported camera, then they should appear in Preview. Come to think about it, even unsupported files should be able to show a preview from the embedded thumbnail. FWIW LR2.6 will import, and show on preview prior to import, any Raw file from any camera I care to throw at it. Even the Canon G11 which has only just been introduced.

Have you tried a different memory card?
                  LR 2.6 supports all the current Olympus models, as far as I'm aware (not 100% sure about the E-600 though).

Ian
                  Founder and editor of:
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                  NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                  sigpic

Comment

Dave, does LR actually import the files notwithstanding the fact that no preview is shown?
                    David

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio View Post
                      Dave, does LR actually import the files notwithstanding the fact that no preview is shown?
                      Yes it did, so no harm done
                      sigpicDave

Comment

Originally posted by sapper View Post
                        Yes it did, so no harm done
                        This suggests to me that there is not a problem with the card but rather a 'shortcoming' of LR. It is possible that the module creating previews looks at the first file, identifies camera and assumes all files are the same, thus cannot render those from a different body. Whereas on import each file is identified individually.

What do others think of this hypothesis?

It might be interesting to copy some ORF files from both cameras into a common disk folder and try the import from there.
                        David

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X