Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple OS X and E30 Raw Files

Hi

I recently bought an E30. I've noticed that OS X (I'm using 10.5.7) can't display a preview of the .ORF file in the Finder.

Apple recently issued a Raw Compatibility Update for Aperture and iPhoto that included the E30. I don't use either, but thought that would also apply to OS X.

Software update installed a "iLife Support" update on my Mac on 5 June that I thought was the Raw Compatibility Update. So I don't understand why I can't display raw file previews.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Cheers

Padgreen

Re: Apple OS X and E30 Raw Files

Similar restrictions applied in 10.4.x - iPhoto and Aperture supported the E3 raw files but Finder did not.

Finder support for E3 Raw files arrived with 10.5.x

Perhaps you will have to wait for Snow Leopard (10.6)

However it might be worth a winge to Apple via one of their feedback pages.
    This space for rent

Comment

I beg to differ.

I downloaded a sample E-30 ORF and it opens in QuickLook and the Finder thumbnail is generated as should.

You'll have to install the RAW update and it should work.

The RAW engine is a framework and is not attached to a specific program. Afaik it handles RAW files viewing in every picture (pre)viewer.
      Visit my panorama site: http://www.360vr.nl
      Twitter: 360vr_nl

Comment

Unfortunately Snow Leopard won't help me. I've a PowerPC 2Ghz Dual processor machine and Snow Leopard won't run on it, so I'm stuck with 10.5.7.

That's something I am majorly pissed off about: when I bought my machine it was top of Apple's range and I expected to get more than five years use out of it before Apple ceased to support it.

Guess I'm going to have to change my workflow to include a DNG conversion.
        Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

I just tried to install the Apple Raw Update. It refused to install saying it was not necessary as it is for Aperture and iPhoto only.
          Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Hmm, but haven't you iPhoto installed?
            (As it comes standard with every Mac)

Comment

Just an afterthought: You can install a trial version of Aperture for free and thus get the RAW update: http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

Comment

I have iPhoto 4 that came with the computer. It doesn't work with raw files.

I'll give your suggestion about Aperture a try.
                Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Thanks, that worked. I installed Aperture then installed the Raw Update and I can now view E30 raw files from the finder. I can still do that after uninstalling Aperture as well.

Many thanks.
                  Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Great! I am glad it worked.

Karel

Comment

Unless you are already using Lightroom - (this is not implying any ranking of products) you might find Aperture a rather nice application to use. It makers the Raw to visible image transfer a very easy operation and allows you to revisit the raw file at any time without creating additional PDS or Tiff files.

I moved on to Aperture last September and I am finding it very useful and effective. It works very nicely with other editors which you tend to go to use only if you need to do multi layer type work or perspective control (sweeping generalisation here).
                      This space for rent

Comment

I mainly use Lightroom 2.3, at least I did when I was using my E1. I was put off Aperture because it made heavy use of the graphic processor and so run slower than Lightroom on my G5 Dual: my AT Radeon 9600 XT isn't on the recommended list of graphics cards for Aperture.

With my E1, I also used Bridge/Photoshop CS3. Neither of which recognises the raw files from my E30. I haven't got the funds to upgrade to CS4 at the moment so I've been trying out converting to DNG as that way I don't need to buy any new software (I've a few questions about DNG but will post them in another thread).

However, having the ability to look at my raw files in the Finder before I import them to Lightroom is very handy so I'm greatful for the solution to that problem.

I did read on Dppreview that the raw processing with Lightroom 2.3/ACR camera raw isn't ideal, but it seems OK to me. I also have a copy of Capture One v4 that I got a free license for with Sansdisk Extreme III CF Cards. I didn't use it much before the E30 as I preferred Lightroom. However, Dpprivew said it got better results with it and E30 raws than with Lightroom.

When I came to test it with my E30 raw files recently I found that it wouldn't run on a non Intel Mac either, so it's back to Lightroom.
                        Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Working...
                        X