Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Anyone use Capture One v4 for processing...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Capture One v4 for processing...?

Hey All

Hadn't taken a good look at this application until this morning and having watched the tutorials on the Phase One www site I find myself very intrigued about this application.

Does anyone here use this for their image processing...? If so, what do you think of it...? Does it work for you...?

I am going to download the free 30 day trial and have a play, as support for the E-3 is included in their list of RAW formats, but I'd be glad to read others opinions on the application if you have used it.

For those interested, Capture One 4 can be downloaded from here
    John

Re: Anyone use Capture One v4 for processing...?

Yes I have been using it. I love the user interface it is quite intuitive and the highlight shadow DR controls work well. I feel the default settings of the noise reduction are too high but they are easily changed as is anything else. After using the free trial for a few days I took the plunge and bought it. The back-up and meta data options are easy to use and as with lightroom and aperture it is nondestructive any adjustments are only applied to the RAW files when they are processed to TIFF or JPEG. It is well worth downloading the trial.

Ian C.

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
      Hey All

Hadn't taken a good look at this application until this morning and having watched the tutorials on the Phase One www site I find myself very intrigued about this application.

Does anyone here use this for their image processing...? If so, what do you think of it...? Does it work for you...?

I am going to download the free 30 day trial and have a play, as support for the E-3 is included in their list of RAW formats, but I'd be glad to read others opinions on the application if you have used it.

For those interested, Capture One 4 can be downloaded from here
      Yes - I've just started using it!
      Tried most of the others out there, and concluded that C1 4 will work best for me as a straightforward converter. Good interface, good browser, quick or full adjustments, clean design, seems to be fast to convert, and as I use ACDSee Pro for its file management, output is sent there or to LightZone.

I couldn't figure out why it only converted one RAW file, but after looking at the forum this was a common query! Solution is to select "Process selected variants" and then all selected files are converted. I agree that default NR and sharpening are too high, but just adjust these to suit.

As you say, it also supports all Oly cameras.

Comment

Am also trying Capture 1 v4. Maybe I am having a bad day, but can't seem to see how you can change NR and sharpening to new default settings, nor how you can process jpg's or tiff files. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpp View Post
          Am also trying Capture 1 v4. Maybe I am having a bad day, but can't seem to see how you can change NR and sharpening to new default settings, nor how you can process jpg's or tiff files. Am I missing something?
          If you want to change default sharpening, set the sharpening to where you want the default to be, click on the triangle at the right hand end of the bar where it says sharpening, this will bring up a drop down menu, click on use as default. All other settings work on the same principle. As far as I know you can't use Capture for jepg or tiff files it is only a RAW processor.

Ian C.

Comment

Thanks. Shame about other file formats as have some older photos in both jpg and tiff which it would be useful to keep together and use only the one program.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpp View Post
              Thanks. Shame about other file formats as have some older photos in both jpg and tiff which it would be useful to keep together and use only the one program.
              It seems to me that no single program does everything. For years I have been using ACDSee for image & file organising plus a fair amount of photo editing, and with the Pro version it's really very capable for JPG's,TIFF's, and RAW.

I'm trying Capture One 4 as it is a very quick processor and I like the results. I set the output after processing to LightZone for further adjustment, or sometimes ACDSee, but a combination of programs works for me.

Comment

I had ver 3.7 so I got ver4 for free but I still do not use it much as there still seems to be a red yellow maize pattern issue with Olympus Files not as much as 3.7 but still there.
                If you want to see this to full effect convert a image with red in it then veiw it at 200%.

As a example Silkypix conversion on the left and Capture 4 on the right.

And to give Capture 4 a advantage I increased saturation and sharpening in the Silkypix conversion all the things that degrade image quality.

At 200%
                Regards Paul.
                One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

[QUOTE=Paul_S;5061]I had ver 3.7 so I got ver4 for free but I still do not use it much as there still seems to be a red yellow maize pattern issue with Olympus Files not as much as 3.7 but still there.
                  QUOTE]

That looks like a basketweave pattern, and if present ought to be very obvious. I've been using Capture One 4 all week and haven't seen anything similar on my files. Is the effect on yours on all backgrounds & colours?

Comment

You will see it mainly in only the one colour pectrum rich reds/oranges and yellows when you magnify the image.

Here its veiwed in PS at 300%
                    Regards Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_S View Post
                      You will see it mainly in only the one colour pectrum rich reds/oranges and yellows when you magnify the image.

Here its veiwed in PS at 300%

Just tried on vivid red / yellow at 400% but nothing at all shows like that very obvious maze effect ...! Odd. I'll take some more and post later.

Comment

Problem solved..the maize pattern is more pronounced on ORFS that have been converted to Adobe DNG, it is still very slightly there on my E-1 ORFS but completely absent on my E-510 ORFS. overall a better result than 3.7 which gave a very pronounce maize on my E-1 ORFS. Time to start taking this program seriously as long as I stay away from converting my ORFS to Adobe DNG

TEST

E-1 0rf on left E-510 orf on right

Regards Paul.

Comment

Pleased about that - I'm sure that same conclusion was reached on another forum and again caused by DNG. Overall I'm very pleased with C One 4.

On the topic of Capture One 4 concerns, there's a current thread on DPR linking to the Phase One Forum, showing a chroma halo-effect problem, although again, I've been trying to reproduce this using 100% colour NR on various images and haven't been able to do so.

http://forum.phaseone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5151

Comment

Working...
                          X