Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10

Originally posted by shenstone View Post
    Yup.. When I was working we had windows for just about everything except oracle databases by the end. we had phased out Vax, Sun etc etc. down to the two platforms

Regards
    Andy
    A Sun user. I worked for Sun for over 22 Years.
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
      Only recollection of Sun was having had some kit delivered to our data centre we had to do something special to get rid of the packaging and all the external windows needed high security bars. The rubbish disposal thing was so no-one would know we had Sun kit. Once installed we were royally ripped off for maintenance.

Comment

My last project before retiring was to decommission the system we had running on an E3500 server. I was management on that project having been one of the technical staff when we put it in for Y2K in 1999
        My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
        4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
        m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
        FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
        The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
        http://www.shenstone.me.uk
        http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
        https://vimeo.com/shenstone
        http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
          Only recollection of Sun was having had some kit delivered to our data centre we had to do something special to get rid of the packaging and all the external windows needed high security bars. The rubbish disposal thing was so no-one would know we had Sun kit. Once installed we were royally ripped off for maintenance.
          Good Stuff though, well worth it. I won't tell you what my first job there was, to protect my anonimity
          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Good Stuff though, well worth it. I won't tell you what my first job there was, to protect my anonimity
            When I was a field engineer I remember being envious of the cars driven by the Sun engineers!

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
              When I was a field engineer I remember being envious of the cars driven by the Sun engineers!
              They had a fantastic car scheme.
              Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                I use my W10 machine about a couple times a month, and then only to run Photoshop. There are image processing tools for Linux, but whilst good, they're not yet as competent as PS.

I use Xubuntu, which is a 'lighter' Ubuntu, though I started off in the early 90s with Slackware.

To get a feel for a full Linux, you can run one of the 'Live' systems. Knoppix is my favourite. Mint is also deservedly popular. One distro that's received rave reviews is 'Deepin':

https://www.deepin.org/en/

It's a Chinese distro, but I've not see any suggestions that it might be a bit 'dodgey'.

Jim

Just wanted to say a big thank you, Jim, for suggesting Deepin Linux.

I tried Mint which was OK but still a bit old fashioned in its look and feel.
                Then I thought I would give Deepin a run. It's really fast and works very well. The interface is so clean and easy to use.

I have now been using it for a few days and its a keeper. I have been teaching myself C++ on it to keep my brain cells working.
                Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I have been teaching myself C++ on it to keep my brain cells working.
                  I think that I've got a spare copy of 'Stroustrup' somewhere, if you like. You're welcome to it - just P.M. me your address.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the kind offer.

I seem to learn best using video tutorials on YouTube and I am following this one.
                    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYFu9mBnr4"]C++ Programming All-in-One Tutorial Series (10 HOURS!) - YouTube[/ame]

I am 6 hours into it so far! His style is easy to follow and the speed is about right for me

I will pm you if I need the book, thanks again.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

I used Sun Workstations for about 10 years but it was quite a while ago now.
                      Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                      Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                      Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                      Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                      Learn something new every day

Comment

As an amateur I've dabbled with many programming languages, including 'C' and 'C++', but if I were to start again, I'd choose Python or Perl - Python because it's a modern language that's much used nowadays, or Perl, because I liked the idiom and the community support.

Lisp is weird and APL doubly so!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                          As an amateur I've dabbled with many programming languages, including 'C' and 'C++', but if I were to start again, I'd choose Python or Perl - Python because it's a modern language that's much used nowadays, or Perl, because I liked the idiom and the community support.

Lisp is weird and APL doubly so!

Jim
                          I did learn some Fortran a long time ago but that was in the mainframe era using punched cards in batch processing mode. I do remember Lisp and Perl from the past but I could never get my head around them. We did get a BBC Micro when our son was coming up to 10 years old and that was superb. Using it I learnt to program in BASIC and that has always stuck with me.

Since then I have used Python quite a bit, I wrote a few simple programs including some on my Raspberry Pi to control relays for my droplet photos which I have posted on here. I am no expert, just dabbling as you say.

I wanted to try something different and C++ attracts me because it's more object-orientated and that's very different from my world of linear program flow. Python feels kind of half and half but it is very powerful.

C++ is the language that a lot of multi-platform games are written in and I like a challenge. That's why I want to give it a go and try and write a simple game that will run on Linux and Windows.

Looking back: I remember the very first time my wife and I played Pong, it was so addictive, we stayed up till after 2:00 am playing it. How times have changed
                          Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X