Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Luminar 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luminar 3

For a long time now I have had a subscription Adobe Creative Cloud. I use LR for initial PP and finish the images off in Photoshop.

Payment by subscription is a regular annoyance, but a greater annoyance is the cumbersome slow moving software and the need to use two separate programs. I am conscious that I probably only use about 10% of what the software can do.

Looking round for alternative software, I have now purchased Skylum Luminar 3, and after a couple of hours of familiarization I am favorably impressed.

Very important is the catalogue. It works better and faster than the LR one.

For simple smartening up of images, it has a many "filters". All the functions that I use in LR and PS are available and work well, and much faster than the Adobe equivalent.

I wondered whether anyone else here has tried this software?

There is one problem that I have not yet solved, when preparing stock images, I add the Caption and Keywords in "File Info" in PS. I cannot find an equivalent "File Info" in Luminar, although it can save files in many different formats.

For my stock photography I need to upload as jpg's, but would much prefer to add captions and keywords before they go.

Any suggestion for a small program that could open a jpg and allow insertion of that data would be appreciated
    Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Re: Luminar 3

I also use the Adobe CC photography bundle LR + PS

I have tried Luninar 3 and it seems like a great program for simple smartening up of images I agree. However it cant handle the more complex stuff that I need for my astro images which is why I stick with PS, maybe one day I'll change.

I hope you are aware that Luminar 4. is coming out next month with even more features, you might be able to claim a free upgrade.

Cant help with the File Info question.
    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Peter J

Comment

I just had a look around and found this free tool that will allow you to add keywords and other info to your final image.

https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/

I have not tried it myself so proceed with caution. I have used the terminal based tool that this is based on and that is the gold standard for exif reading and writing.
        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks for that, it looks as though it might do the job. . .

I am off into hospital today, but I will try it when I get back.
          Peter J

Comment

Wish you well Peter. Hope to see you back here soon.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes, which seem to have worked! This was an operation to remove a bladder tumor. It was very large and I had a first operation last month, when the surgeon decided to stop half way through. So this one was more worrying than the last, but went very well.

Absolutely top marks to our local NHS, their work was done promptly and well, everyone there was helpful, kindly and cheerful.

Odd thing happened when I was packing up to leave, just by my bed was a tablet computer. I thought "I don't remember bringing that", and put it in my bag.

When I got it home I found it was an NHS iPad. Very odd, because when I was there I never saw anyone using an iPad.

I'll take it back this morning.
              Peter J

Comment

To get back on the subject of software, I picked up information from this from Peter Forsgard, a Finnish Olympus Ambassador:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZS3T1dKM0&list=PLDi4hF9-cy6hzHp6cy-cBuMgL14Hqj3M9"]Olympus Workspace - Free Image Editing Software! - YouTube[/ame]

I have downloaded the new (?) Olympus Workspacet and find it has a library function like LR.

I fear it will only work with my Olympus Cameras, but I also have a Panasonic GX80 and a Ricoh GR2.
                Peter J

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                  I just had a look around and found this free tool that will allow you to add keywords and other info to your final image.

https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/

I have not tried it myself so proceed with caution. I have used the terminal based tool that this is based on and that is the gold standard for exif reading and writing.
                  It is a bit dull outside, so I have been working on my software experiments.
                  The Exif editing software you suggested was a no go, neither Windows 10 nor my anti-virus software would let me go there.

However I found one called Exif Pilot which has been accepted and seems to do the trick: https://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html.

The Olympus Workspace works OK, but only edits *.ORF files. All my archived files have been converted to *.DNG so that does not work for me.

I am making good progress with Luminar 3 so I think that I have a good chance of producing my stock images without Adobe.

I will test it when I have more images to PP. If I can do two successful uploads without using Adobe, I will cancel my subscription. . .
                  Peter J

Comment

Originally posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
                    It is a bit dull outside, so I have been working on my software experiments.
                    The Exif editing software you suggested was a no go, neither Windows 10 nor my anti-virus software would let me go there.

However I found one called Exif Pilot which has been accepted and seems to do the trick: https://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html.

The Olympus Workspace works OK, but only edits *.ORF files. All my archived files have been converted to *.DNG so that does not work for me.

I am making good progress with Luminar 3 so I think that I have a good chance of producing my stock images without Adobe.

I will test it when I have more images to PP. If I can do two successful uploads without using Adobe, I will cancel my subscription. . .
                    Sorry the link I gave was dodgy I just did a google search and it looked promising - as I said I hadn't actually tried it.

Glad you have managed to come up with an alternative solution.
                    Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
                      Thanks for the good wishes, which seem to have worked! This was an operation to remove a bladder tumor. It was very large and I had a first operation last month, when the surgeon decided to stop half way through. So this one was more worrying than the last, but went very well.
                      Very gratifying news - I hope that you make a full recovery!

Jim

Comment

On a slightly related subject which may be of interest, is steganography. This enables the invisible embedding of data into an image. The data can also be encrypted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

There's a free tool available for Linux and I'm sure there must be equivalents for other OS'es.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                          Very gratifying news - I hope that you make a full recovery!

Jim
                          I have an out-patients appointment in about 10 days, when I hope to get some idea what further treatment may be required. Fingers crossed it will be nothing, but I think it may turn out to be more than that. . .
                          Peter J

Comment

I see that Luminar 4 has now been released.
                            Have you had a chance to try it out?
                            Dave

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wornish View Post
                              I see that Luminar 4 has now been released.
                              Have you had a chance to try it out?
                              Peter J

Comment

Working...
                              X