Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Window 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window 10

Hello everyone.....I have not been around for a good few years (apart from viewing the sales page) but was wondering if anyone could help with a little problem I have.

You will probably not remember but I have terrible trouble understanding even basic technical things but managed to get by with help from my son but he no longer lives with me now so I am getting into all troubles.

My problem at the moment is that I had to get a new computer and somehow got it up and running and I am only using the windows 10 photos feature to view and edit pictures so only basic stuff.
    I wanted to do a screen grab earlier and did what I used to - namely pressing the NumLk/ScrLk key but I have no idea where to access it on the computer....in the old days I had some P/shop and it went there but now I am at a loss to find it.

Can anyone help - with basic term etc please.
    Thanks
    Keith
    Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
    Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Re: Window 10

To take a screenshot on my laptop ( Win10), I hold the " Windows Key" this is the one with the 4 white oblongs on it, and press "PrtSc".

The resulting file is then found in the "Pictures" section by clicking on the "file explorer" icon on the "taskbar" pressing the "windows key" + "E" or locating "file explorer" in "settings".

There may be other ways of taking and locating screen shots depending on the way your computer is configured but this works for me.

Hope this helps.

Jax

Comment

God been using computers for years and use the print screen button and then opened corel paint to paste from clipboard then save image.

Just shows you learn something every day as I did not know about this way which is way easier
      Regards
      Michael

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

If you download FastStone Image Viewer, you can take screen shots from the whole screen, the active window or even select the bit you want. You can then choose where to save it and it will also be available to paste from the clipboard

https://www.faststone.org/
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Pressing the Windows key and PrtScr does nothing for me either. Don't forget the Windows Snipping Tool though (under Windows Accessories on the Start menu on Win 10). You can select any area of the screen by drawing a box round it, and then save in a format of your choice.

Apparently this nice simple tool is to be replaced by "Windows Snip & Sketch" which, as "Photos" is to "Windows Photo Viewer", a slower and more cumbersome way of doing the same thing.

Edit: see my later post #21. The Win+PrtScrn key sequence does save a screenshot - in Pictures > Screenshots
            Regards
            Richard

Comment

Thanks a lot for your replies...on phone at the moment so will have a try and see if I can get things to work.
              Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
              Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                Pressing the Windows key and PrtScr does nothing for me either.
                Perhaps it only works with up to date puters and keyboards or maybe you're doing it wrong

Seems to be the standard and easiest way to do it.

Lets hope it works for the OP

https://windowsreport.com/create-sav...ts-windows-10/

Jax

Comment

On my laptop, after holding down the Windows key and pressing PrtSc, the screen dims for a split second to indicate a screenshot has been taken.

Jax

Comment

I use CRTL and PrintScreen. This takes a snapshot of the entire screen and puts it into the paste buffer (clipboard). Then I open up an image editing app, eg: PaintShopProV4.12 (free), and Edit->Paste as New Image. In Photoshop Elements it is File->New->Image from Clipboard. In Windows paint it is File->Paste.

The PrintScreen button can sometimes be on one of the function buttons so you may also have to press Function or Shift, along with CTRL, to get the PrintScreen action.

PaintShopPro has a Capture item on the menu enabling you to capture a window or the full screen from within the application without using any special key combination.
                    Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                    Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                    Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                    Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                    Learn something new every day

Comment

On my Thinkpad, press PrtSc to copy the screen to the clipboard and Alt+PrtSc to copy just the active window. It seems that every machine is different ...why? I sometimes think that software writers employ teenagers just to try out their latest whim
                      Mike
                      visit my Natural History Photos website:
                      http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

The OP admitted to not being very technical or computer literate and stated he only used the basic supplied Windows programs. For that reason I suggested the answer to his dilemma which only involved pressing 2 keys and finding the resulting file in "Photos".

I appreciate there are lots of various programs to download or purchase that can be used to achieve screen shots in a variety of ways and all the suggested methods are valid and interesting but none of those are going to be much help to the OP who was seeking a simple basic answer to his problem.

Jax

Comment

With my Win8.1 laptop and Win7 desktop, I've always just pressed PrtSc, then opened Windows Paint and pressed Ctrl+V to copy the image from the clipboard. I expect everything will be different in Win10 though! This should work to copy to any image application I guess.

Why these things have to be constantly meddled with I don't know? Same as politicians I suppose, don't feel they've left their mark unless they change something. It's called progress I believe
                          Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

On Windows 10 (current release)
                            Press the Windows Key + Shift + S (all three keys together).
                            This will open up "Snip and Sketch".
                            You can drag a rectangle, free form loop, choose a window or capture the whole screen - buttons at the top of the screen.
                            You'll then get a notification on the right side of the screen that shows you the image - click on that to choose how to edit or save it AND you will have the same image on the clipboard so Control+V to paste it into another program if you prefer.

I spend my working life screen capturing things and the latest "Snip and Sketch" tool has saved me lots of time and energy copy/pasting and cropping.
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

On my Windows 10 work machine pressing the 'Windows' and 'Print Scrn' keys simultaneously saves the image in a folder call 'Screenshots' within the 'Pictures' folder.
                              I hope this helps?
                              Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X