Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

W10 Update Slowed PS CS6 Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W10 Update Slowed PS CS6 Launch

A few days ago there was a Windows 10 update. Among the things it sorted was the recent tendency for "Shutdown" to default to "Switch user".

I thought it more than coincidence that, after the update, my PS took about a minute and a half to launch. It had never been quick but that was ridiculous.

For a while I wondered about a recent reinstall of a plug-in.

Anyway, yesterday a further update got PS but to its former launch speed.

Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Re: W10 Update Slowed PS CS6 Launch

Just as a note on Win10 shutdown

When you use Shut Down it uses a variant of the sleep/hibernate process to push as much of what is in memory as possible to allow a faster boot

if you want a clean refresh of the drivers in memory etc then restart is a better option as it clears those out

The delays could have been some old driver in memory which was cleared out when the further patch did a proper full restart

if you see slowness at start it's always worth a proper restart which is different thinking than prior versions of windows

Regards
    Andy
    My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
    4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
    m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
    FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
    The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
    http://www.shenstone.me.uk
    http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
    https://vimeo.com/shenstone
    http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks, Andy.

I agree with the fresh restart when the start-up is taking a long time. It works every time.

Harold

Comment

+1 to Andy. Also, there is a "Fast Startup" option which is best turned off. I find my video driver doesn't always work properly if this is enabled.

Go to Settings > Power and Sleep and scroll down to "Additional power settings". Click on that and then "Choose what the power buttons do". Now click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and untick the "Turn on Fast Startup" box.

I find with that box ticked the machine does start up more quickly but it also takes longer to shut down so it's as broad as it's long, but it does ensure that all drivers are properly loaded.

On another subject yesterday's update has once again reset my graphics files association to the horrid Photos app so I've changed them back to the old Windows Photo Viewer which is much faster. The way MS keeps doing this drives me nuts!
        Regards
        Richard

Comment

I still found it slow, taking over a minute to launch.

I suspected some crud in the system was slowing it.

I installed CC Cleaner free version and ran it. PS now launches in less than 15 seconds.

Harold

Comment

CC Cleaner has also sped up FastStone Image Viewer.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
              I still found it slow, taking over a minute to launch.

I suspected some crud in the system was slowing it.

I installed CC Cleaner free version and ran it. PS now launches in less than 15 seconds.

Harold
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Mine has been the same time, irrespective of reboot or relaunch.

Harold

Comment

Working...
                X