Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Adobe LR - no more updates - options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe LR - no more updates - options?

Hi

When in process of updating LR to be able to process G9 RW2 files I noticed that Adobe have declared that this will be the last version (unless you subscribe to CC, which I don't). I will hopefully "survive" for some time as the latest/last version of LR supports the RAW formats that I have in my library, however mid/long term I will probably have to do something about this.

What are the options, apart from having to subscribe to CC? Are there any alternatives to LR? Development settings and metadata/tags need to be preserved either importing the LR library and/or the sidecar files with metadata. My library contains 50k+ photos, all with precious user defined tags and development settings.

I should perhaps mention I, previous to LR, used DXO however dropped it as I disliked their licensing policy (they were forcing me to buy a Pro license to read E5 RAW files). Meaning I am not to eager to spend more money on their products.

Or should I concede and accept being billed monthly?

Thanks
    Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Paul
    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
    flickr
    Portfolio Site
    Instagram

Comment

Re: Adobe LR - no more updates - options?

I agree with this
      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

= approx 1 roll of HP5 and lab processing, that's 36 shots a month and you can use any old s/w going, complete with DAM. That's my average over 12 months, more in spring, summer and autumn, less in winter.
        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Yes, I also agree. About three pints of beer per month!!
          Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
          My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | Lumix: G9 | LX100
          Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135
          Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Lumix: 12-32 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye

Comment

I bought the last standalone LR. It supports my current cameras but as I know it won’t forever I’m not investing much energy in the asset management features.
            I appreciate that the CC plan is good value for money if you use it frequently but for me it doesn’t make financial sense.
            I’d also suggest you look closely at the pricing which last time I looked was an annual contract billed monthly. A friend discovered that when he tried to save a few quid by cancelling for a couple of months and was presented with a bill for half a years use and his software inactivated. It was resolved in the end but it isn’t or wasn’t a monthly contract.

As far as alternatives go DXO is supposed to be good but you’ve been there already. I read about Darktable but haven’t tried it myself.
            There are various freebie versions or trials of most prouducts.

Olympus have just launched A new free product but I’ve not looked at it from asset management myself. It seemed a better processing package but not really on a par with LR.

As others have said software development is expensive so youll have to pay one way or another if you want the latest and greatest features.
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Until 2009 I did all my post processing on an old version of Photoshop.

Then I bought an EP-1, and found that the only way I could deal with the *.ORF files was to buy Lightroom 3. The old Photoshop could handle the *.ORF files from my E5 and E620. I thought ORF meant ORF, but it did not. Converting the files to DNG did not help either. With nearly 10 years of experience of Lightroom, and processing about 100 images a month, I am used to LR, but really I am committed to it because of the cataloguing system, which would be hard to replace.

I was forced on to Adobe CC a few months ago, and while I manage well enough with it, it is far from trouble free. For example after one update the CC Photoshop refused to connect to my printer. I fixed this by deleting PS 2018 and installing Ps 2017 instead, which works OK.

It has to work for me, but I cannot recommend it as the frequent updates are generally more trouble than they are worth. New CC updates only work with the latest computer operating system, so you may have to update that as well.

I do not think anyone has mentioned Affinity on this thread:

https://www.google.com/search?q=affi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I have no personal experience of it, but it is not too expensive and may be worth a try.
              Peter J

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses

Comment

For what it’s worth. I browsed a copy of Amateur Photographer yesterday and Affinity Photo is their Product of the Year. I use Affinity after years with Photoshop, it’s more than good enough for me. Serif seem to be a vigorous company launching many of their products for iPad and I understand an update to Affinity Photo is in beta development and if history is anything to go by, will be free.

David
                The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
                  Serif seem to be a vigorous company launching many of their products for iPad and I understand an update to Affinity Photo is in beta development and if history is anything to go by, will be free.
                  I have been using the beta version for a few weeks now and it seems to work well. I even received an update for it the other day. Affinity Photo is very good and is excellent value for money but I still struggle a bit using it. I should really sit down and work my way through all the tutorial videos but life's too short.

Ron

Comment

Ron, the other bonus with Affinity is that their own videos are bite-sized. Often only 4-5 minutes long and delivered in a calm manner by a Brit. Completely unlike the ear-wrenching video’s from across the Pond that start with “Hi Guys” followed by crazy intro music.

I’m a total convert - good luck Affinity.

David
                    The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

I really like Affinity Photo but it is no LR. I did hear a while back that at some stage it would be upgraded to have LR-type attributes........but no sign yet. I would pay extra for this.
                      BTW, being an infrequent user of photo editing software, Adobe's subscription model is not attractive to me, which is why I went for AP last year. Adobe make too much money as it is. Most of my PS versions were........d*d*y
                      If I need PS CC, I have it on my work PC.
                      Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                        Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                        My website

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess I will stay with LR and purchase a subscription once a camera to be released in future becomes in my posession.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Like some of the other members, I bought a standalone Adobe LR which I still use. In addition to this I also use the Skylum Products: Luminar and Aurora HDR. Luminar is currently offering 29% off the listed price and it runs monthly competitions with some very nice prizes. There is no monthly subscription.

The latest competition is a trip for 2 to Paris....https://skylum.com/blog/new-contest-skylum_couple

https://skylum.com/luminar

I agree with Paul, 9.98 GBP is not much to fork out each month in the scheme of things for an Adobe system. Good luck with whatever you decide on
                            All the best

Phil
                            https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver View Post
                              , so I've always got the latest versions. It's the best solution I've had for PP/cataloguing/image management and well worth the small monthly cost for me.

Steve
                              I had an update yesterday, for the Classic version. So unsure why you are saying there are no more updates,,,,,,,,,,,
                              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X