• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topaz: Process JPEG as RAW

I shoot only RAW but this may be of interest:

https://mailchi.mp/topazlabs/introdu...w?e=43a402f015

Harold
    The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Re: Topaz: Process JPEG as RAW

They are usually at the Photo Show and their demos are always worth a watch. Software is usually offered at a good price too. Wonder if they will demo this?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

I see that they make the common mistake of capitalising 'raw', as if it were an acronym like JPEG!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
        They are usually at the Photo Show and their demos are always worth a watch. Software is usually offered at a good price too. Wonder if they will demo this?
        They will be there on Stand 41 but no details.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
          I shoot only RAW but this may be of interest:

https://mailchi.mp/topazlabs/introdu...w?e=43a402f015

Harold
          That makes no sense at all. In preparing a JPEG, the camera has already lost information and created potentially unwanted artefacts that will be almost impossible to get rid of:

- Compressed the image with information loss (lossy compression)
          - Reduced bit depth to 8 bits
          - Added a tone curve
          - Added edge sharpening
          - Smoothed detail via noise reduction
          - Done image manipulations like distortion correction, CA removal, vignette reduction
          - Set WB

That's why I always shoot raw!
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            That makes no sense at all. In preparing a JPEG, the camera has already lost information and created potentially unwanted artefacts that will be almost impossible to get rid of:

- Compressed the image with information loss (lossy compression)
            - Reduced bit depth to 8 bits
            - Added a tone curve
            - Added edge sharpening
            - Smoothed detail via noise reduction
            - Done image manipulations like distortion correction, CA removal, vignette reduction
            - Set WB

That's why I always shoot raw!
            My opinion too as a general approach.

I suppose you could shoot the largest JPEGs the camera will do and work on them straight from the camera.

Harold

Comment

Topaz are answering questions today:

https://mailchi.mp/topazlabs/join-us...g?e=43a402f015

Harold

Comment

I'm with Paul on this. No amount of A.I. is going to magic data that wasn't captured in the first place, or recover data that was discarded by the camera.

Jim

Comment

I wonder what it would make of scanned 35mm transparencies - would it invent detail that wasn't on the film?

I might download the trial and give it a go.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                    I wonder what it would make of scanned 35mm transparencies - would it invent detail that wasn't on the film?

I might download the trial and give it a go.

Jim
                    Best to scan to TIFF and not go through JPEG. Having said that though, if you use JPEG with care then the end results probably won't be different in any significant way:

- Sharpening to zero
                    - NR to zero
                    - Quality to 95% or higher
                    - Flat tone curve
                    - WB to suit lighting source for transparency illumination
                    Paul
                    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                    flickr
                    Portfolio Site
                    Instagram

Comment

I see that they make the common mistake of capitalising 'raw', as if it were an acronym like JPEG!
                      While I agree that RAW is not an acronym, it is still an abbreviation for a format that usually contains a lot more than just the raw sensor data.

The article in https://techterms.com/definition/camera_raw starts with a statement that "A camera RAW image .... contains the raw image data captured by the camera's sensor ...., saved in proprietary file format specific to the camera manufacturer."

Each manufacturer tends to use their own file suffix : ORF, NEF, CR2, etc., so RAW has become a generic term for such formats.

Camera makers increasingly include a lot of extra information in their RAW formats, such as dead pixel or lens distortion data. The Olympus 17mm lenses present a considerable amount of barrel distortion, which can be seen in the raw sensor data, but most "camera aware" RAW converters correct this automatically.

I always used to use a RAW format but, since changing to Olympus, I find it is so much easier to achieve optimum exposure, by using the information from the electronic finder, that JPEG files from the camera are almost always adequate. Having said that, I also keep the RAW format files, in case I encounter particular problems with an image file.

I suspect that Topaz are taking advantage of the fact that, despite the loss of data from JPEG processing, these files still contain more information than most displays can show. I find that the 'levels' control in an image processor is by far the most useful tool for 'improving' the appearance of a displayed image. I am often surprised by how much extra information can be found in both the shadows and highlights of many JPEG images by appropriate adjustment of the Red Green Blue (RGB) levels.
                      Mike
                      visit my Natural History Photos website:
                      http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

As my camera does so in its menus, that is good enough for me.

Harold

Comment

Jim
                          That really bugs me.

Steve
                          Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                          Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                          My website

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                            While I agree that RAW is not an acronym, it is still an abbreviation for a format that usually contains a lot more than just the raw sensor data.
                            The word raw as used here is not an abbreviation for anything at all. It's being used as a generic term for all the camera manufacturers proprietary file formats and a raw file is like raw data, raw meat, raw fish etc. - it's simply unprocessed. RAW however is a file format, used by Casio and early Panasonic cameras.

While we're in pedant mode - JPEG, along with most of the others, is not an acronym, it's an initialism. TIFF on the other hand is both an initialism and an acronym. An acronym is an initialism that is also a word in common use in its own right.
                            Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X