Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Affinity Photo 1.7 beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Affinity Photo 1.7 beta

Affinity works with Nik plugins. It's a bit of a faff to install them, but see here:
    https://lenscraft.co.uk/nik-collecti...ffinity-photo/

There are a couple of issues.

1. Viveza has weird colour space problems. It only shows the correct colours at certain magnifications. This is a bug in AP which has not been fixed in the new version 1.70. Viveza is a real oddball compared to the other Nik plugins and definitely not of the same standard. I think you could do everything you want and more in Color Efex Pro 4.

2. The plugin will sometimes not reflect the source image, for instance portrait shots may be rotated or cropping not respected. The cure is simple - right-click on the "source" layer and click Rasterise.

With the current 20% off sale it's definitely a steal. A huge improvement on Elements in every way.
    Steve
    My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

My copy of Affinity Photo is also updated to the release version of 1.7.

Performance is definitely improved, and raw files seem to load faster. It does not have lens corrections for the 12-100 F4 Pro, which is a pain but otherwise raw processing seems to be very good.

There a stack of changes which I will work through gradually!
      Steve

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

I followed thd official AP YouTube video to install the Nik Collection. It went fine.
          Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
            I followed thd official AP YouTube video to install the Nik Collection. It went fine.
            I wondered if that might be out of date now, it has been around quite a while, but obviously not [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
            Steve

Comment

I'm a big fan of Affinity but have to say that since the 'upgrade' to version 1.7, certain tasks such as selection refinement run much more slowly than previously, difficult to be exact but I'd say five times longer when refining a small part of a selection. That's disappointing and I hope that this can be resolved soon.

David
              The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

One issue with Affinity Photo is that there is no lens correction support for the wonderful 12-100 F4 Pro lens "out of the box".

However, there is a new tutorial about adding lens profiles - https://youtu.be/ahBF2_On_rA

Essentially, IT WORKS! The trick is to locate the file called mil-olympus.xml in the zip and drop it into the correct folder, as shown in the video. That is for a Mac. On my Windows system the folder that opens when you click the "Open Lens Profile Folder in Explorer..." button is called C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\LensProfiles. Drop the xml file in that folder, restart Affinity, load your raw file and bingo!

If anyone is having problems, PM me and I can email you the xml file.

It adds support for a number of the newer Olympus lenses. If you use Panny lenses, drop mil-panasonic.xml in the folder as well. And misc.xml has the Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 which I also have.
                EDIT: I haven't worked out how to use the Laowa correction data yet!
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steverh View Post
                  It adds support for a number of the newer Olympus lenses. If you use Panny lenses, drop mil-panasonic.xml in the folder as well. And misc.xml has the Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 which I also have.
                  EDIT: I haven't worked out how to use the Laowa correction data yet!
                  I want to know too. Those ae manual lenses and there is no embedded date to let the Affinity know what to apply. I have that Samyang FE and now a Laowa and would like to know too.
                  * Henry
                  * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
                    I'm a big fan of Affinity but have to say that since the 'upgrade' to version 1.7, certain tasks such as selection refinement run much more slowly than previously, difficult to be exact but I'd say five times longer when refining a small part of a selection. That's disappointing and I hope that this can be resolved soon.

David
                    I feel your pain. It like a conspiracy,,these software companies just seem to slow down old systems hence we have to buy new hardware to use those "better" software.
                    * Henry
                    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Affinity Photo has launched version 1.7.1. Something flashed by as I was working on an image so it seems to have happened automatically. The speed problem is much better and the Nik Collection now seems to work fine after a blip after the upgrade from 1.6. Now that is resolved I don't see any need to pay for the new version 2.0 from DXO.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X