Affinity's raw processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affinity's raw processing

I tried opening an .orf file in OV3, DxO PhotoLab and Affinity 1.6. OV3 and DxO rendered it in a very similar manner but Affinity's version needed a good one stop extra exposure to look similar. Its colour rendering was less saturated too. This was the case on several files. Anyone else tried this and have any comments?

Meanwhile I'll stick to DxO for raw development, export as .tiff and use Affinity for the more complicated PP which it seems pretty good at. DxO is especially good at lens corrections.
    Regards
    Richard

Re: Affinity's raw processing

Interesting.

I'm not seeing a huge difference in rendering between DxO and Affinity Photo unless I turn off the automatically applied tone curve in the Assistant Manager in Affinity, when images become much duller and less saturated as you describe. I can then apply my own tone curve in the Tones tab. tweak the exposure a bit and get a very decent result.

DxO obviously does a fair amount of tweaking to raw files in the background before allowing you to add your own.

I do agree that DxO gives excellent results with ORFs and I often do exactly as you describe. Affinity is very good at the more complex PP stuff. It's a very impressive program and getting better all the time.
    Steve
    My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

I was having a similar problem and discovered a tip online somewhere which helped in my case.

Open a Raw image and click on Assistant Options in the top menu bar.
      This opens the Develop Assistant.
      Click on Raw Engine and a drop down menu appears.
      The default option is Serif Labs but I changed it to Apple (Core Image Raw).
      I then closed the raw image and when I opened it again it was a lot brighter and more colourful.

I use an Apple iMac but I am not sure there is a choice for the Raw Engine with a PC.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
        I was having a similar problem and discovered a tip online somewhere which helped in my case.

Open a Raw image and click on Assistant Options in the top menu bar.
        This opens the Develop Assistant.
        Click on Raw Engine and a drop down menu appears.
        The default option is Serif Labs but I changed it to Apple (Core Image Raw).
        I then closed the raw image and when I opened it again it was a lot brighter and more colourful.

I use an Apple iMac but I am not sure there is a choice for the Raw Engine with a PC.

Ron
        You don't get that choice on a PC.
        Steve

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by steverh View Post
          I'm not seeing a huge difference in rendering between DxO and Affinity Photo unless I turn off the automatically applied tone curve in the Assistant Manager in Affinity, when images become much duller and less saturated as you describe. I can then apply my own tone curve in the Tones tab. tweak the exposure a bit and get a very decent result.
          I have the "apply tone curve" set and I agree, it does improve the rendering. Is there a way of adjusting that default tone curve I wonder? There is a curves adjustment in the toolbox but I'm not sure whether that is the same curve or not. I've still not really explored Affinity very thoroughly - there is a great deal to get to grips with!

As you say, on a PC there are no options for RAW engine selection.

Since writing the OP I've found that the differences between Affinity and DxO seem somewhat dependent on the image. I normally shoot RAW+JPG so I have an idea what to aim for.
          Regards
          Richard

Comment

I think the problem is that raw images are dull and flat by nature. Raw engines apply some sort of pre-processing on import to make them more palatable. I haven't come across any apart from Affinity that allows you to turn the preprocessing off completely and start from scratch which is sometimes very useful.

There is an excellent series of videos on YouTube by James Ritson, one of the authors of the Workbook. They are short, clear and to the point. Here's a good starting point for raw processing:

https://youtu.be/Xa5zdOLMhqA
            Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, I have looked at a few but will have a good look when I've a bit more time. I do like DxO's RAW processing though so I will probably stick with that for now, I was really just wondering why there was a difference .
              Regards
              Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                Thanks Steve, I have looked at a few but will have a good look when I've a bit more time. I do like DxO's RAW processing though so I will probably stick with that for now, I was really just wondering why there was a difference .
                I do agree with you that DxO is an excellent raw processor. The two programs make a great combination.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X