Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Processing on a tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processing on a tablet

My laptop is on it's last legs and the only time I turn it on now is to get photos off a SD card. Prefering to browse on my phone or a tablet, I'm wondering how practical tablet processing/editing is?

I don't do that much processing, either in quantity or complication. I currently run elements 10 and Oly viewer(only because elements 10 doesnt recognise the em10ii orfs) and the processing is usually limited to messing with levels, B&W (Nik) conversion and a very occasional content aware removal.

Do any of you process on a tablet and how do you find it? What are the pros and cons?
    Any tablet recommendations and which software is good?

Thanks
    Chris
    Junk on Flickr
    Even more Junk on Instagram

Re: Processing on a tablet

I do the basic crops and alignments, but anything else on an iPad I find too difficult,
    Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

For fast posting, it's that 8" Android pad. Tried to survive with it on my last trip, it's a no no.
        * Henry
        * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Affinity Photo for iPad is basically your 'photoshop-on-a-pad'. Although much, much cheaper. It's NOT an organiser like LR, but is perfectly fine for on-the-go processing, so much so, that on my last couple of weekend trips, I left the laptop at home and just went with the pad, and a cable for SD-card-to-lightning-connector for importing pix from the EM-1. And yes, it does RAW. Only drawback is the learning curve, which I'm still clawing my way up!
          Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

Does affinity run on android or just iOS? I'm not 100% keen on apple stuff --- typed on my iPhone!

I suppose another option are the 2 in 1 devices like the surface pro, but they're quite expensive!
            Junk on Flickr

Comment

I can "get by" with my android tablet when on holiday, and I use Photo Editor (www.iudesk.com) but the results from Elements on a laptop are generally better.
              Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Not sure if my Surface 3 can be classified as a tablet, but it runs everything the PC does, including Lightroom and Oly programmes.

Slight drawback is that it only has one USB, and no SD card slot.

But its a great little pooter, thoroughly recommended........
                Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                  Does affinity run on android or just iOS? I'm not 100% keen on apple stuff --- typed on my iPhone!

I suppose another option are the 2 in 1 devices like the surface pro, but they're quite expensive!
                  The pad version is only for iPad at present, I believe. The desktop version is either Windows or Mac.
                  Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                      Not sure if my Surface 3 can be classified as a tablet, but it runs everything the PC does, including Lightroom and Oly programmes.

Slight drawback is that it only has one USB, and no SD card slot.

But its a great little pooter, thoroughly recommended........
                      This seems a great 2 in 1 solution but out of budget I think! The cheaper brands obviously have downgraded specs, bit may still have enough oomph I guess
                      Junk on Flickr

Comment

I have used Snapseed on my Samsung tablet. There are some interesting editing tools and it is free. I am thinking about Affinity Pro but as has been said, there is no Android version yet. One of these days I will try the grown up version of Affinity Pro on my PC with a view of ditching CS6, which is getting a bit long in the tooth.
                        Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Founder and editor of:
                          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                          NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                          sigpic

Comment

That could be do-able Ian, I'll take a look, thanks
                            Junk on Flickr

Comment

I use an iPad Air 2 and Snapseed if I don’t have a laptop with me. You need a lightning to SD adapter, if your camera doesn’t do WiFi or if you want to process raw files. Main thing to be careful with iPad is that it can silently steal pixels from you at any point in the workflow. Not as bad with my Olympus cameras, but took a while to work out with my Sony (Play Memories makes OI Share look like a work of pure genius as far as usability goes).

Edit: The nice thing about Snapseed is it also works well on a phone (Android and iPhone).

Comment

Working...
                              X