Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Any Affinity Photo Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Affinity Photo Users?

Re: Any Affinity Photo Users?

No but I am seriously thinking about getting it at that price. I see that there is an iPad version now. I hope there will be an Android version too for my Samsung tablet.
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Tried it , was not at all impressed - staying with Silkypix.

Comment

I bought Affinity Photo when I moved from Windows to Mac, that was in January. I am already ahead in terms of cost compared to Adobe CC. AP does everything I need, there are excellent in-house tutorials and plenty of third party efforts. The forum works well and I have solved a few issues using it. I migrated from CS6 so cannot compare it to the latest Adobe offering.

It has its quirks. I'm happy to sit down and write the issues that arose when trying to do some of the things that were hassle free in Photoshop. Overall, I'm delighted and glad I stuck with it. Oh, by the way, the official AF video tutorials are given by a calm, clear bloke from these islands not some helium voiced nerd accompanied by head banging 'music'. Suggest you watch a few to help your decision. There is also a guy on YouTube whose video on installing Nik collection was terrific - C P Williams.

David
        The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Ron, somewhere there is a list of cameras whose RAW files are supported by Affinity. Last time I looked I don't think your camera was on that list.

Found it as of November 2016

https://affinity.serif.com/forum/ind...w-cameras-15x/

David
          The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety

Comment

Thanks David. It does seem that the Mk II is not supported at the moment, which surprises me. I will have a look at what alternatives are available.

Silkypix, as mentioned by Dick Bowman in this thread, sounds interesting but Developer Studio 7 is 119 euros, which is a lot more money. It also sounds a little quirky with a steep learning curve. I might download the trial version to see if I like it.

I have also seen Darktable mentioned a few times, so I might take a look at that.

Ron

Comment

Hi. I have Affinity and it does open EM1 II raw files and you can edit them

Comment

Just agreeing with pault, it opens EM1 mk II raw files with no problems.
                Steve
                My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

I downloaded the trial version again this afternoon and confirmed that it would open my E-M1 Mk II raw files. After playing with for a little while I decided to purchase it in case the price increases again. I now have lots of video tutorials to work my way through.

Ron

Comment

Well, that's good news Ron if you decide to go down the Affinity route

The main problems that I had revolved around saving edited images. Having used Pro-Am Imaging (print lab) for years using Photoshop without problems, my first batch with Affinity was unable to be printed twice because I was unaware of the need to strip out EXIF data before changing raw file to jpegs in order to 'fix' the changes made to the file size. That was very frustrating but quite quickly resolved using the forum. Another quirk I found was that if I changed a JPEG file size for say web use and saved it as another file, it became an affinityphoto document rather than a JPEG. One had to export it rather than 'save as'.

It's fine now that I've got the workflow sorted and if push comes to shove, I'd recommend it as some of the features are quite powerful and more than I need.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dave View Post
                      Another quirk I found was that if I changed a JPEG file size for say web use and saved it as another file, it became an affinityphoto document rather than a JPEG. One had to export it rather than 'save as'.
                      I enountered that issue when I tried the trial copy before. Today I exported a test file as a jpeg with dimensions to suit the gallery here and renaming it. It worked just fine. I am not sure whether the original file in Affinity will retain the changes that I made to it. There is plenty for me to find out about using the program.

Ron

Comment

I've considered Affinity but the issue is that it has no file management system and so isn't a LR replacement, more a PS replacement.

Also, I have read quite a few times (but never tried myself) that the raw conversion is pretty poor.

Comment

I just bought the iPad version yesterday, which looks as though it will be superb for mobile processing once I get my head round it, and in the tutorial videos I was pleased to notice that the RAW file opened as an example was an .ORF file. And that the metadata shown in the Information window was that for EM1 mkII ! So I'm pretty sure it will work well with Oly files
                          Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

I downloaded Affinity some while ago when it was at the lower price, and installed it on a Win8.1 laptop. I saw it as a PS substitute, which is what it was being hailed as. I do have problems with it hanging though. One of the reasons I got it was because it has a focus-stacking feature, and it worked very well.
                            Ian

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk

Comment

Steve
                              My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X