Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Booting W10 into touch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting W10 into touch...

Permanently.

Have attempted to rid myself of the W10 nag,nag, nag screen without success. Web search implies to remove a certain update but this has proved a waste of time as the sodding thing keeps coming back.

Does anyone know how to remove this pain in the neck once and for all?
    It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Re: Booting W10 into touch...

Hi

Have a look at this thread I started a month or so ago.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39043

Just remember to hide the update when you next run windows update.
    All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

It worked for me, but I have since uninstalled Silverlight & tried to hide that but it keeps coming back as an optional update, so I just have to avoid ticking that update when I'm taking any others. Thankfully the Get Windows 10 thing (update) doesn't re-appear.
      Ross
      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks Andy, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. Will give it a go... umpteenth time lucky?

Comment

Hi Andy, just to let you know... it appears to have worked.

Comment

Has anyone who has hidden the Win10 stuff found that windows update appears to be updating to Win10 but only installs updates to Win7?

I deliberately stopped my Alienware laptop from updating to Windows 10 after hardware damage to other AW17 owners which seemed to be connected to a problem in the GPU driver, uninstalled the 'nag' updates, blocked OS update using a registry key and took manual charge of updates, still get that infernal Windows 10 message!

Comment

Originally posted by Trabant Dave View Post
              Has anyone who has hidden the Win10 stuff found that windows update appears to be updating to Win10 but only installs updates to Win7?

I deliberately stopped my Alienware laptop from updating to Windows 10 after hardware damage to other AW17 owners which seemed to be connected to a problem in the GPU driver, uninstalled the 'nag' updates, blocked OS update using a registry key and took manual charge of updates, still get that infernal Windows 10 message!
              I went to manual update (in Win 7), uninstalled & hid that "Get Win 10" annoying update ( http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39043 ) but I noticed it came back in the list again when I checked yesterday.
              Ross
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

There is a way to disable updates with a registry key, but follow the instructions carefully as the registry is a dangerous place for the unwary.....

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
                Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To suppress Windows 10 upgrade through the registry, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

One reason the 'Get Windows 10' can come back is if it is a new file; you'll probably find the Knowledge Base (KB) numbers are different...

Comment

Originally posted by Trabant Dave View Post
                  There is a way to disable updates with a registry key, but follow the instructions carefully as the registry is a dangerous place for the unwary.....

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
                  Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To suppress Windows 10 upgrade through the registry, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUp date DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

One reason the 'Get Windows 10' can come back is if it is a new file; you'll probably find the Knowledge Base (KB) numbers are different...
                  Thanks. I'll leave the registry alone but had to modify it for the disappearing desktop icons issue.

The 'Get Windows 10' is the same number but a little larger file size this time (must have added a little more annoyance in it ).
                  Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583) Download size: 687 KB - 786 KB
                  Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583) Download size: 664 KB - 763 KB
                  I also uninstalled Silverlight & wondered why it kept coming back up in the listed updates but it does have different numbers for each occasion.
                  Ross

Comment

Hi Ross,

It's also worth checking to see if Windows has downloaded the update files 'on the sly' by going into 'Tools' then 'Folder Options' from Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer which also has a 'Tools' header!) and on the View tab use the bullet point to 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' and also untick the 'Hide protected operating systems files' (Temporarily), and see if in your root drive (usually 'c') for a folder named $WINDOWS.~BT. This is the location for the Win10 update (or downgrade if you see it as I do!) and weighs in around 3gb; prior to using the registry hack it kept reappearing, but since using it the pesky folder hasn't had the temerity to return.

Here's a useful link with a comprehensive yet simple guide to clipping Win10's wings here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-...automatically/

Incidentally, if you find that folder in the root and have disabled the OS from updating it is safe to just delete it and reclaim some drive space; then reverse the Tools thing to hide hidden files and protect the OS files too.

Comment

This is all very well for you 'Geeks' but what about us 'numpties'......
                      Not computer 'illiterate' as such but 'semi-illiterate'.

Comment

Seriously Dave, it sounds daunting, but if you look at the link it is pretty straightforward AND if you scroll down about halfway there's a link to a simple file to do the registry hack for you; the site is one I have used a few times to fill in knowledge gaps and I consider it to be entirely trustworthy - I have had a look in the .reg file and it is 100% clean and will not do anything other than install the DWORD value needed to prevent Win10 from invading your system.

Comment

Working...
                        X