WiFi Image File Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! WiFi Image File Transfer

While there are many ways to get our pictures from our cameras onto our computers, I'd like to know of any clever way to transfer the images; wirelessly using FTP addressing the camera directly on 192.168.0.10

I can connect a PC and my iPad to the cameras WiFi, then using any web browser enter the address 192.168.0.10/DCIM/100OLYMP and see all the thumbnails of the images.

I can access each individually, but have yet to find a way to download all the files to the PC or iPad.

I've tried WebRipper but that only looks for jpgs, I'd like to be able to download all the files.

WHY:

In an ideal world, I'd have an assistant to simply swap cards and download each set of images as we work through the session.

But I just thought it would be nice (aka an interesting exercise in fiddling) to see if I could get it to work completely automatically.

I did it with a FlashAir card some time ago, but the internal WiFi system seems to work slightly differently.

Of course the next new camera will have a "near field" sensor that starts the download automatically when placed by the "Smart Device"...

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Re: WiFi Image File Transfer

Hi Graham, do you have a cloud storage account that can see and except raw files is so, you should be able to send the files to that cloud by synching the address to the cloud.
    I don't have a WiFi camera yet to test it out.
    Dave
    My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

Originally posted by Daveart View Post
      Hi Graham, do you have a cloud storage account that can see and except raw files is so, you should be able to send the files to that cloud by synching the address to the cloud.
      I don't have a WiFi camera yet to test it out.
      Dave
      I do have iCloud, but that only works with Apple devices.

The E-M1 files are accessible with any connected browser via the address 192.168.0.10/DCIM/100OLYMP The problem I am having is getting a program to download them whenever the camera is connected via WiFi.

I appreciate there are all the normal Olympus ways to do this, but where's the fun in not "experimenting"
      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

There I think is the problem You are viewing The Jpeg from within the raw That the camera is sending to the browser, I have a cloud that I can upload to and read the Jpeg inside the raw file, I think what happens is that the camera has its own wifi, you would need a computer that can connect to both the camera and a network server at the same time, I don't think that is possible with a standard computer, I think it would have to be a master network server with multi network capabilities.

Dave
        My Published Book: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2771168

Comment

HI Graham

If you can use a browser to see list of files, open them and then save them, you may want to look at the linux command curl. This should let you copy files from the camera without the need for ftp.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gazza95 View Post
            HI Graham

If you can use a browser to see list of files, open them and then save them, you may want to look at the linux command curl. This should let you copy files from the camera without the need for ftp.
            I guess a bash script could be written to poll the WiFi card in the camera every second (say) and download any new files, but it's beyond me at the moment.

Here's an excerpt from the curl man page:

"curl offers a busload of useful tricks like proxy support, user authentication, FTP upload, HTTP post, SSL connections, cookies, file transfer resume, Metalink, and more. As you will see below, the number of features will make your head spin!"

Jim

Comment

This looks interesting - it may do the job. (I like Perl and wish I was better at it!):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/transsvr/

Jim

Comment

TransSVR.pl (see above link) works OK on my Linux machine and a Transcend WiFi SD card.

After connecting to the card, run TransSVR.pl in a terminal. It will search and should find the card and wait for a shot to be taken. When a shot is taken it reports eg "There's something new on 192.168.11.254: >/mnt/sd/DCIM/100MSDCF/DSC00563.JPG" and further shots can be taken. The images end up in my /home/jim/Downloads/ directory.

It only works with JPEG files, not raw - but maybe the script could be modified. I'll have a look at it.

I'm sure it would be useful for some users, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                X