Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image size for large screen viewing

Hi,
    Not sure where exactly to put this post as is more a general question.
    However, I need to prepare some photos to be viewed on a 42 inch screen. Do I need to make them a specific size/resolution or will the original full image size adjust according to the screen size??

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Sisi
    Sisi Burn
    Photography for musicians.
    www.sisiburn.com

Re: Image size for large screen viewing

Most HDTV is 1080 lines and 1920 wide.

So any 4/3 rds. format images will produce black bands down each side or be stretched if the TV is set to do this.

You may want to crop your images to the HDTV Format first, then re-size to 1080 high.

If you send a full size image to the TV it will automatically scale it to the size it can display.
    Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Thanks Graham,
      so do I understand then that I don't really need to do anything to the 4/3 images? They will adjust automatically?
      I have scaled an image 1920 pix wide by 1440 pixel would this work?

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
      Most HDTV is 1080 lines and 1920 wide.

So any 4/3 rds. format images will produce black bands down each side or be stretched if the TV is set to do this.

You may want to crop your images to the HDTV Format first, then re-size to 1080 high.

If you send a full size image to the TV it will automatically scale it to the size it can display.
      Sisi Burn
      Photography for musicians.
      www.sisiburn.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sisi View Post
        Thanks Graham,
        so do I understand then that I don't really need to do anything to the 4/3 images? They will adjust automatically?
        If you resize an image to anything other than the ratio of the TV @ 1920 wide by 1080 high (16:9 ratio) then the TV will either automatically scale the image to fit, with black lines either side or top & bottom, or it will stretch the image to fit the screen, if that is what you have it set to do.

If you plug the yellow RCA plug, of your cameras AV lead, into the Yellow socket on the TV and select that as the TV input (Normally AV input) then you can view images from the camera on the TV directly.

Some TVs have a USB port that you can also use for this as well as viewing images stored on a USB memory stick.

As most TVs are set up for TV programs (surprisingly) they sometimes don't show camera images that well (especially if the kids leave it set for "GAMES"

Often there is a "CUSTOM" setup on a TV so that you can alter the colours and contrast/brightness to get a better reproduction of still images.

As long as the TV is not stretching your images to fill the screen you should be ok sending it the images without any re-sizing. If it is setup to "Scale to fit" then people will hate you for making them look really wide...

Have fun
        Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Sisi View Post
          The typical widescreen HDTV these days, as Graham pointed out, is 1920 x 1080. Your image will be scaled and stretched to match this size. The scaling will be okay but the stretching will distort the image. So any image you want to show would, ideally, have its sides in the ratio 1920:1080, that is 16:9. An image 1920 x 1440 (or 4:3) is ideally suited for non widescreen TVs (and is the format used for broadcasting until widescreen took off).

If you are lucky the TV will only scale (to make sure all the picture is visible) and put black bands either at the top and bottom or at both sides to pad out unused space. So a landscape picture of 1920 x 1440 (4:3) will be scaled to 1440 x 1080 (4:3) so that the height fits and you will have 240 pixels of black at each side. A portrait picture of 1080 x 1920 (9:16) will be scaled to 607 x 1080 with 656 pixels of black bands either side. A panoramic picture (very wide) will be scaled so that its width reduces to 1920, its height will be scaled down accordingly and black bands will appear top and bottom.
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

Working...
          X