Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Anyone tried this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried this???

I've been playing with HDR software over the last few days.

I found this on the web.

http://www.essentialhdr.com/Download.aspx

The free version works very quickly,but only saves as a small file.
    The full version is half the price of Photomatix but probably does not have as many controls.

Worth a try.
    All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Re: Anyone tried this???

I tried this when I was first thinking about HDR but for me it didn't give the results I wanted. Might be user error on my part, though!
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Have been playing around with Dynamic Photo HDR. Seems simple enough to use.

http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html

Anybody else tried it?

Comment

Have you tried Picturenaut? It's freeware and can be found at www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut

Picturenaut includes image alignment functions as well as a tone-mapper. It doesn't accept RAW image input, so you need to convert the input images into 16bit TIFFs (without messing about with any settings in your RAW converter). The Picturenaut HDR output can be saved in a wide variety of file formats.

My first impressions are that this s/w is very fast and useful for producing a more natural style of HDR than many of the examples of exaggerated tones which seem commonplace from Photomatix.

The HDRI handbook mentioned on this site is an interesting read with some pointers on how technologies & formats becoming commonplace in the motion picture industry may influence the future of digital still cameras.
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
          Have you tried Picturenaut? It's freeware and can be found at www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut

My first impressions are that this s/w is very fast and useful for producing a more natural style of HDR than many of the examples of exaggerated tones which seem commonplace from Photomatix.

The HDRI handbook mentioned on this site is an interesting read with some pointers on how technologies & formats becoming commonplace in the motion picture industry may influence the future of digital still cameras.
          Thanks for posting that link - looks interesting and I'll give it a try.

Just to defend Photomatix - it doesn't have to produce exagerated results (though they can be quite startling and fun to do). A gentle hand can get quite a natural feel.

I posted this to the gallery a couple of days ago not intending to put it in a thread

Exposure-Blend - a plug-in for The GIMP is also quite neutral in its presentation, and as it presents the result as 3 layers very malleable (but limited to 3 exposures).

Nick
          Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
          www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
            Exposure-Blend - a plug-in for The GIMP is also quite neutral in its presentation, and as it presents the result as 3 layers very malleable (but limited to 3 exposures).
            I've been trying to find the download for "exposure blend", but all the linked sites seem to point to a text download only.

Have you any idea where I can get it, for Vista?
            - my pictures -

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
              I've been trying to find the download for "exposure blend", but all the linked sites seem to point to a text download only.

Have you any idea where I can get it, for Vista?
              Have you tried here:-

http://tir.astro.utoledo.edu/jdsmith/exposure_blend.php

then just copy the scm into your GIMP Plug-in directory - should be platform independant as exposure blend is a gimp script rather than a program.

(sometimes the site seems to vanish for a few hours)

Nick
              Nick Temple-Fry

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
              www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

That's the site I've been trying to download it from, I just get a page of script, nothing actually "downloads"

I've tried this link, in the section "Installation"
                For Gimp v2.3 or later, use this version.
                It goes to this page http://tir.astro.utoledo.edu/jdsmith...tinyscheme.scm

These are the first few lines
                ;; exposure-blend.scm: Blend 3 bracketed exposures.
                ;; Copyright (C) 2006 by J.D. Smith <jdsmith@as.arizona.edu>
                ;;
                ;; Version 1.3b (Mar, 2007)
                ;;
                ;; http://tir.astro.utoledo.edu/jdsmith/exposure_blend.php
                ;;
                I haven't got a clue what I'm meant to do with it
                - my pictures -

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                  That's the site I've been trying to download it from, I just get a page of script, nothing actually "downloads"

I've tried this link, in the section "Installation"

It goes to this page http://tir.astro.utoledo.edu/jdsmith...tinyscheme.scm

These are the first few lines

I haven't got a clue what I'm meant to do with it
                  Download the file, save it and then stick it here

Gimp2.6\share\gimp\2.0\scripts\

assuming gimp2.6 and a default install - should be on your c:drive under program files

Gimp will read the file and know what to do - it is all very undramatic

You will then find exposure blend as an option under

Filters/photo/exposureblend in the GIMP image window.

Hope this helps

Nick
                  Nick Temple-Fry

www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                    I gotta backup Photomatix here, although alot of my tonemapped shots using photomatix are "pushed and extreme" photomatix can and does some nice tonemapping, I think its just easier to overcook things in Photomatix due to is easy user interface.

This is one of my more nicer shots using photomatix. Excuss the composition and compression

Cheers
                    G

Comment

Originally posted by Garrie View Post
                      I gotta backup Photomatix here, although alot of my tonemapped shots using photomatix are "pushed and extreme" photomatix can and does some nice tonemapping, I think its just easier to overcook things in Photomatix due to is easy user interface.

This is one of my more nicer shots using photomatix. Excuss the composition and compression

Cheers
                      G
                      Nice example

I agree there is nothing intrinsically wrong with Photomatix and it can produce quite natural results.

The 'problem' (if you care to regard it as such) is that it has spawned a school of heavy handed users who go "WoW" and don't bother with anything much more than the top few sliders, the result is the typical Photomatix image, clouds and all.

Unfortunately that can end up producing images that have lots of detail, but very little real dynamic range - because it has all been compressed to make everything visible.

Even on your 'extreme' examples you obviously take care to avoid that pit fall and have produced some good images as a result.

Nick
                      Nick Temple-Fry

www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Nick, but I'm still stuck.

Am about to reply to your PM
                        - my pictures -

Comment

Working...
                        X