Helicon Focus Stacking for Landscapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicon Focus Stacking for Landscapes

I've just downloaded a trial version of Helicon Focus Stacking with a view to using it to extend DOF in landscapes. Here's my first attempt, which seems encouraging even though I haven't yet got to grips with some of the adjustments in the program. Two shots used, one focused on the foreground buttercups and the second focused on the tree in the background.

Shot One

Shot Two

Focus Stacked with Helicon

Maybe you can have your cake and eat it. What do you think?
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: Helicon Focus Stacking for Landscapes

John, you're experienced enough to know better. You're supposed to shoot FF and stop down to minimum aperture for every shot.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Looks promising. I tried this method with Photoshop a while back, if you remember, but that tended to also give a slight HDR effect, which this doesn't.
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Interesting, looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
          John, you're experienced enough to know better. You're supposed to shoot FF and stop down to minimum aperture for every shot.
          Yes, no excuses - that's why my pictures are all pretentious rubbish, in the words of my harshest critic.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I must have missed the pretendersing garbage review. Still, you should be thick skinned enough to survive after dealing with editors for years.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I must have missed the pretendersing garbage review. Still, you should be thick skinned enough to survive after dealing with editors for years.
              Just a comment my daughter made a few days ago about my work in general. She may have a point; I recently submitted an article to Outdoor Photography, the first for a long time - and it was rejected.
              John

Comment

Looks very good, John - I remember we were discussing this yesterday. How much is the full version of the software? Did you only use two donor shots?

Ian
                Founder and editor of:
                Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                sigpic

Comment

Maybe the editor checked the EXIF and rejected them because they weren't FF and at minimum aperture.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

And the white balance hadn't been adjusted in the histogram.
                    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Yes, I forgot that detail Stephen.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                        Looks very good, John - I remember we were discussing this yesterday. How much is the full version of the software? Did you only use two donor shots?

Ian
                        Just two donor shots, one focused on foreground buttercups the other on background tree. Obviously I may wish to use more shots if I get serious about using the software. Price is $30 a year or $115 unlimited licence.
                        John

Comment

David and Stephen, I love the humour on this site!
                          John

Comment

On a more serious note, given the angle of view of a lens can change at different focusing distances I wonder if the software has to compensate for that?

David M's Photoblog

Comment

On a more serious note, given the angle of view of a lens can change at different focusing distances I wonder if the software has to compensate for that?
                              That's a good point and I don't know the answer yet.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X