Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Archos 70 & android raw converter app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archos 70 & android raw converter app

I am considering buying an android tablet but wondered if anybody knows of an app to convert ORFs to jpeg so they can be viewed on it.

I am thinking of an Archos 70, if anybody has this and would care to comment it would be of interest.

Thank you
    Shirley
    www.shirleyhollisenterprises.co.uk
    www.photographsbyshirley.co.uk

Re: Archos 70 & android raw converter app

A quick search on the Android Marketplace:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

It suggests support for Olympus OLY raw but like a lot of apps they are all a bit "work in progress" although the developer offer to try to add support from samples.

If you want to connect your camera or a card reader to the tablet you must ensure that it is running Android Honeycomb 3.1 or later as it needs USB Host which was only introduced in that version.

I'd be very interested if you do get a tablet of your experience with it.
    OMD-EM1, 12-40, E-520, 12-60, 50-200, 7-14, 50, 8, EC14, FL50

Comment

Originally posted by ScubaRoy View Post
      A quick search on the Android Marketplace:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

It suggests support for Olympus OLY raw but like a lot of apps they are all a bit "work in progress" although the developer offer to try to add support from samples.

If you want to connect your camera or a card reader to the tablet you must ensure that it is running Android Honeycomb 3.1 or later as it needs USB Host which was only introduced in that version.

I'd be very interested if you do get a tablet of your experience with it.
      Ah that is very interesting. As it has a USB 2 port I assumed I could connect my card reader and it would work. From what you say this may not be the case. Archos 70 runs OS Android 2.2 (Froyo) and therefore probably doesn't support use of USB to transfer pics...that is a deal breaker for me. Any other comments gratefully received.
      Thanks
      Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirley

Having this week bought the Asus TF101 tablet I can report that RAW Droid ( https://market.android.com/details?i...also_installed) works very well although it is still in development. I can use it for E520 files but I suspect most except for the most recent releases will be covered.

Only just got it got it going and it is still very much beta version but it does a better than basic job already and I'm sure the developer will tweak the interface further.

I bought the Asus so that I could look at RAW files, amongst other tasks, and with the addition of the USB converter it looks like it will do that superbly as it has an excellent screen. Even RAW files look good, in RAW Droid, and processed JPEGs look fantatstic via the supplied gallery app.

At the moment it's free as it's Beta but I for one will happily pay for a completed development when it's done.

Hope that helps

cheers

Hec
        I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
          Hi Shirley

Having this week bought the Asus TF101 tablet I can report that RAW Droid ( https://market.android.com/details?i...also_installed) works very well although it is still in development. I can use it for E520 files but I suspect most except for the most recent releases will be covered.

Only just got it got it going and it is still very much beta version but it does a better than basic job already and I'm sure the developer will tweak the interface further.

I bought the Asus so that I could look at RAW files, amongst other tasks, and with the addition of the USB converter it looks like it will do that superbly as it has an excellent screen. Even RAW files look good, in RAW Droid, and processed JPEGs look fantatstic via the supplied gallery app.

At the moment it's free as it's Beta but I for one will happily pay for a completed development when it's done.

Hope that helps

cheers

Hec
          Thank you Hec, very helpful. I will be interested to hear how you get on with the tablet when you have had longer to 'play' with it.
          Shirley
          Shirley

Comment

Hi Shirley

Will do

Cheers

Hec
            I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Shirley

I have an Archos 70 and haven't found a way to edit ORF files on it - not sure it is powerful enough for editing. I tend to edit on the PC and any files I want to 'exhibit' on the Archos I convert to jpegs, put them into a 'shared' folder and let the tablet access them across my wireless network. It does this very well using the built in app for a picture show. Must admit, however, that I use the Archos more for accessing music and the occasional video file across the wireless network, browsing the web from the comfort of an armchair and reading using the Kindle app !
              Hope this is a help.
              Roger Nelson

Comment

An update on my Asus TF101 and RawDroid.

> I've now got the USB dongle for the Asus and can plug in a CF card via a standard card reader. RawDroid works superbly usuing this method so I can rapidly view .orf on a high quality 10.1" screen in the field.
                > The develper is actively pushing his s/w forward and another release came out on Friday which displays metadata with the image if desired.
                > with the USB dongle and Android 3.2 I can copy files, via the OS file manager, from the CF card/card reader combo onto a micro SD card which is plugged into the dedicated slot. So I now have rapid backup of images onto SD card.
                > I can also plug an external hard drive in up to 2TB via USB. I've tried a 500GB which works perfectly. This opens up another backup possibility using say a portable 250GB HD drive via a USB hub. I've yet to try the hub so can not comment if Android will allow this but as it has done so far everything else I'm optimistic. I'll experiment on that and feedback.

All of this is light weight, a few grams apart from the HD, and very portable so good in a camera bag. A lot less than a laptop.

However no editing!! This is not what I personally was after as I use a desktop with a decent size screen for processing rather than a laptop which I find too small for my taste. I just wanted to be able to view and backup files in the field which this combination does very well indeed.

cheers

Hec

Comment

Working...
                X