Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to shoot film but think there's not much choice? ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to shoot film but think there's not much choice? ...

..... think again,

there is SO MUCH choice these days it's hard to know where to start

Still got my favourites and so much new stock to choose from. I know film is not for everyone but there surely can be no denying now that it's here to stay for many years to come

Cinestill colour & B+W plus Kodak Portra 160 are my favourites right now, however I must and will try some of the others too.

If you have a few minutes to spare it's well worth looking at the link below, if only from an education standpoint.

Simon

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/collections/all
    “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Re: Want to shoot film but think there's not much choice? ...

These days of digital, I still cannot understand why the need to use analog film.

First there is the environmental issue of chemicals used then there is the wait for the roll to complete before processing. After processing there is the requirement of scanning. My question , will the color rendition be limited to that of the scanner?

My advice to some young photographers who wants to buy a film camera and try shooting film. Just Lock the ISO to the 200, 400 or 800, lock WB Sunlight, turn that AF to single spot, Turn that LCD to inside, Preview to OFF. Don't chimping, single shutter. Then wait after 36 exposures before only looking at then 1 week later.

So it's a No for me. No film I enjoy digital and I am not turning back

I had my fair share of finding my shots either totally ruin by over or under exposed, totally blank because the film did not advance, total wash out because I accidentally open the back with it it rewinded, empty roll because I forgot to remove the lens cap. A whole roll all very yellow because I forgot to remove a yellow filter and that is just some of the faults that I can remember.
    * Henry
    * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
        My advice : Just Lock the ISO to the 200, 400 or 800, lock WB Sunlight, turn that AF to single spot, Turn that LCD to inside, Preview to OFF...
        Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

But I keep it set to iAuto when in the bag for grab shots, much like leaving the old film cameras to 125, f/8, with the lens set at hyper focal distance.
          iAuro..I need to remember that.
          * Henry
          * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

These days of digital, I still cannot understand why the need to use analog film.
            Why do we still have horses in a world dominated by private motor cars?

If you are talking 35 mm I kind of agree, but medium format opens up a whole new world of creative possibilities and stunning quality beyond what is possible with a DSLR.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Silverprint also have a good range of film and associated stuff, including what they call "alternative processes".

https://www.silverprint.co.uk/

I'm a little bit sad that they have moved. They used to be a short walk from Waterloo station and I often used to pop in for odds and ends if I had to go to That London. Now they are on a trading estate in Poole.

John

Comment

First there is the environmental issue of chemicals used then there is the wait for the roll to complete before processing. After processing there is the requirement of scanning. My question , will the color rendition be limited to that of the scanner?

My advice to some young photographers who wants to buy a film camera and try shooting film. Just Lock the ISO to the 200, 400 or 800, lock WB Sunlight, turn that AF to single spot, Turn that LCD to inside, Preview to OFF. Don't chimping, single shutter. Then wait after 36 exposures before only looking at then 1 week later.

So it's a No for me. No film I enjoy digital and I am not turning back

I had my fair share of finding my shots either totally ruin by over or under exposed, totally blank because the film did not advance, total wash out because I accidentally open the back with it it rewinded, empty roll because I forgot to remove the lens cap. A whole roll all very yellow because I forgot to remove a yellow filter and that is just some of the faults that I can remember.
                ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

And this is the other "beauty" I alluded to in the above post. My M3 is now 58 years old and still capturing 'memories', smooth as silk and Leica will still service it should one be needed. I doubt any digital camera will be doing the same when it is 58 years old and probably neither will my F6 due to likely electronics failure / lack of spares / batteries etc.

The M3 matched with the latest 50mm Summilux Asph makes a formidable outfit.

Kind regards,
                  Simon

― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
                    Why do we still have horses in a world dominated by private motor cars?

If you are talking 35 mm I kind of agree, but medium format opens up a whole new world of creative possibilities and stunning quality beyond what is possible with a DSLR.
                    Horses for the Amish, of course!
                    Ross
                    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Sorry Simon, I don't and won't end with film. I may have started with it and I appreciate the lessons in basic photography that now transferred to digital. Other than that, I won't be digging up any of those antiques that I have in storage.
                      * Henry
                      * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Sorry Simon, I don't and won't end with film. I may have started with it and I appreciate the lessons in basic photography that now transferred to digital. Other than that, I won't be digging up any of those antiques that I have in storage.
                        Henry, I completely understand your rationale. Film photography isn't for everyone, some have never tried and never will while others like yourself have 'moved on' but for anyone wanting to continue to shoot with film or use it for the first time there is once more a plethora of film options available which IMO can only be a good thing. Like most things in life 'choice' is good right?

Kind regards,

Simon
                        ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Agree. But to newbies, who don't even know the basic use of digital, I usually discourage them. BUT if they insist on trying it, I usually loan them a 35mm P&S Those classic yashica with CZ are too ex to loan. . So far, all have come back with a thank you, and never to ask again which suits me fine

Having said all that, I think you may have kindled in me to dust off that Contax and put in a row of slide..just for the fun of it.
                          * Henry
                          * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

My feeling exactly, Henry!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
                              Henry, I completely understand your rationale. Film photography isn't for everyone, some have never tried and never will while others like yourself have 'moved on' but for anyone wanting to continue to shoot with film or use it for the first time there is once more a plethora of film options available which IMO can only be a good thing. Like most things in life 'choice' is good right?

Kind regards,

Simon
                              Fair competition is usually a good thing, and in this case I believe digital has forced the film manufacturers to up their game considerably compared with some of the crap that we were sold in the 1990's and 2000's.

I have long been a fan of Fuji Velvia but I am increasingly using Kodak Ektar 100 which is a stunning film.
                              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X