Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Olympus IS-3000

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Olympus IS-3000

    I've never been a fan of bridge cameras, film or digital. But I had to give this one a go. Spotted this IS-3000 on Ebay various bits of kit for a grand total of 30.


    The kit included the IS-3000, case, .8 teleconverter (when fully racked out with the teleconverter you have a 300mm f/5.6), a close-up lens and all the original documents. There is even the original invoice - it was bought from Allphotos Ltd of Worthing for 340.42 on 21 October 1999.


    The basic lens (without add-ons) is a 35mm-180mm f/4.5 to f/5.6


    The zoom is controlled by two buttons on the lens barrel which fall very nicely to the thumb when in use.


    In its general design and form factor it reminds me a lot of my Hasselblad H1. I wonder if the Hasselblad designers pinched some of their ideas from Olympus?

    Anyway, I've loaded up a roll of expired Kodak Ultra 200, time to go and have a play and see what this thing can do!
    Roger

    E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
    OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
    cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

  • #2
    Re: Olympus IS-3000

    Always worth a try...………….

    Be good to see results. It might prove that we don't need all of those pixels, unless you crop a lot...……...

    (which can be painful)……..
    Mark Johnson

    My Sailing Page

    My Flickr

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Olympus IS-3000

      I had one of those as my last film camera before getting an E20. Never really liked it as it always felt a bit loosely put together. However, it saved carry a bag of lenses when the children were small.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Olympus IS-3000

        Re Bridge cameras....

        Sorry if not on subject, but wifey bought a Leica Bridge recently. have to say (quietly) the resolution is rubbish if you want to crop. Excellent for uncropped photos tho, and the lens range is good. I have to change lenses to keep up with her.

        A few years ago I did but a Nikon P90 (I think). But just could not live with the Elephants trunk of the extended lens, So I sold it on Ebay, AND made a small profit......
        Mark Johnson

        My Sailing Page

        My Flickr

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Olympus IS-3000

          Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
          Always worth a try....

          Be good to see results. It might prove that we don't need all of those pixels, unless you crop a lot......

          (which can be painful)..
          Yes, we'll see. Most of the way through the first roll, probably finish it off tomorrow. One advantage of having the zoom lens, I guess, is not having to crop too much.

          Originally posted by hotbath1962 View Post
          I had one of those as my last film camera before getting an E20. Never really liked it as it always felt a bit loosely put together. However, it saved carry a bag of lenses when the children were small.
          It's certainly not as solid as my H1 - but then just the body of the H1 (without lens) cost ten times as much, so I guess it should do!

          Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
          Re Bridge cameras....

          Sorry if not on subject, but wifey bought a Leica Bridge recently. have to say (quietly) the resolution is rubbish if you want to crop. Excellent for uncropped photos tho, and the lens range is good. I have to change lenses to keep up with her.

          A few years ago I did but a Nikon P90 (I think). But just could not live with the Elephants trunk of the extended lens, So I sold it on Ebay, AND made a small profit......
          I guess cropping was an issue to due small sensor size? One thing about the IS-3000 is that with 35mm film it's 'full frame'.
          Roger

          E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
          OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
          cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

          Comment

          Working...
          X