Some B&W Images from my Mamiya 645

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some B&W Images from my Mamiya 645

I think it was Ricoh who asked for a thread about steam locomotives. There is only one train in this thread (so far) but I have posted a small collection of photographs that I took around the old Stainmore line at Kirby Stephen.

All were shot using a Mamiya 645 Pro loaded with Ilford FP4+ rated at standard speed. Most were taken with the 'standard' 80 mm ƒ2.8 lens.

The final photograph is not mine, but was taken at the summit around 1935 showing a pair of Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0's waiting to depart with a westbound mineral train.

One of the joys of this line for train spotters was the long and very steep gradients, which meant that most trains were 'double headed', and were often helped by an uncoupled third 'banking engine' at the rear.

---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Re: Some B&W Images from my Mamiya 645

I really like the last one. In its time it would be considered just a snapshot but now it's a bit of history.
    Regards - Paul

Comment

A good set - the loss of that line was a tragedy, it would be a big tourist attraction these days. There's a nice walk from Kirkby Stephen along part of the line which includes two viaducts - the first picture is I suspect one of them. The Northern Viaduct Trust is dedicated to preserving them:

http://www.nvt.org.uk/

The original Stainmore Summit sign (seen in the last pic) is now in the Darlington Railway Museum but I believe a replica has now been erected in its original position.
      Regards
      Richard

Comment

That's a lovely set Nigel. I agree with your and Steve's assertion that monochrome film (esp MF) has a quality that digital really can't emulate.
        Paul
        E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
        flickr
        Portfolio Site
        Instagram

Comment

I'm more a 'soot and whitewash' B&W photographer, being less interested in the mid tones. I have successfully converted Bayer captured raw into pleasing (for me) images, but I find film does it better, and I suppose because I've had to work harder to get the result I value it more.
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
            A good set - the loss of that line was a tragedy, it would be a big tourist attraction these days. There's a nice walk from Kirkby Stephen along part of the line which includes two viaducts - the first picture is I suspect one of them. The Northern Viaduct Trust is dedicated to preserving them:

http://www.nvt.org.uk/

The original Stainmore Summit sign (seen in the last pic) is now in the Darlington Railway Museum but I believe a replica has now been erected in its original position.
            There were originally two signs at Stainmore Summit as seen in the final photograph. One of these is at the Darlington Railway Museum, and another at the NRM in York or possibly Shildon (I cannot remember which one).

The Stainmore line summit was very close to the A66 trunk road, but nothing can be seen now other than the replica sign. There is still a tracklayers hut visible on the route of the line just to the west of the summit. It is a wonderful, wild and desolate place for much of the year.

The two viaducts to the south east of Kirkby Stephen, Merrygill and Podgill (one of which I have photographed) are easily accessible and make a nice walk. There is a third, Smardale Gill which is a much bigger stone built viaduct to the west of Kirkby. This in only accessible by foot, around three miles from the nearest road, but is on my list of places to go (and take photographs of) this year.
            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

The photograph below shows Stainmore Summit as it appears today from the adjacent A66 trunk road.

Standing on the county border between Durham and Cumbria, and at a height of 1,370 ft (418 m) above sea level, Stainmore once had a busy railway line carrying over a million tons of coal and coke from the Co. Durham coalfields to heavy industry in the South Lakes. A similar amount of Iron Ore was carried in the opposite direction to steelworks in the North East. The line closed in 1962.

The replica Stainmore Summit sign can just be seen to centre right of the photograph. The flat area in the centre of the photograph was where the railway, bypass loops and signal box were located.

The British Transport Film Snowdrift at Bleath Gill (1955) was filmed about two miles west, towards Kirkby Stephen.
              ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Working...
              X