OM collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OM collection

One of my neighbours has an OM collection that he hasn't used in years. I have been toying with the idea of making an offer to him. He has (I think), OM1 and OM2 bodies, 28mm, 50mm, 35-70mm and 80-200mm Zuikos plus some other bits and pieces including an OM flashgun (can't remember which one though).
    Don't think that I would use them much but they would replace a Nikon F80 and 28-105 Sigma zoom that I use occasionally.

Am I mad to be contemplating this (I cut my teeth on OMs and Zuikos in the 1980s) or should I be spending the cash on m43rds stuff?????
    Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Re: OM collection

Would you be tempted if it was Canon or Nikon gear? Or are you just buying it because it's Olympus? Chances are if your Nikon kit is only used occasionally, the same would happen to this kit. Sorry, just being devils advocate.
    Regards - Paul

Comment

Oh I am perfectly aware that I won't use it much.
      It is probably more about having a small collection of OMs and Zuiko lenses to fondle and admire (and drool over) . They were works of art IMO.
      Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

I agree, they were/are beautifully made. To be honest, I think I'd be tempted like you. Have a look and make an offer if you think they're worth it, you've got nothing to loose.
        Regards - Paul

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post

Am I mad to be contemplating this (I cut my teeth on OMs and Zuikos in the 1980s) or should I be spending the cash on m43rds stuff?????
          It depends upon how much (or little!) you can buy this kit for and what additional m43 stuff you want or need.

Are you sure the 80-200mm is a Zuiko? It was a popular design at the time but not one that was made by Olympus if I remember correctly and it certainly doesn't feature in my OM System Lens Handbook.

Even if you don't use it much it would be a very nice collection to own.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
            It depends upon how much (or little!) you can buy this kit for and what additional m43 stuff you want or need.

Are you sure the 80-200mm is a Zuiko? It was a popular design at the time but not one that was made by Olympus if I remember correctly and it certainly doesn't feature in my OM System Lens Handbook.

Even if you don't use it much it would be a very nice collection to own.
            There was a Zuiko 65-200. If you're really lucky the 80-200 could be either the Tamron or Tokina f/2.8. Both were quite well regarded, I never rated any of the Zuiko zooms I tried.
            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
              There was a Zuiko 65-200. If you're really lucky the 80-200 could be either the Tamron or Tokina f/2.8. Both were quite well regarded, I never rated any of the Zuiko zooms I tried.
              I tried the 75-150mm f4, 35-70mm f3.5/4.5 and 35-105mm f3.5/4.5. All were optically disappointing and I soon sold them, unlike the primes which were superb.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                I tried the 75-150mm f4, 35-70mm f3.5/4.5 and 35-105mm f3.5/4.5. All were optically disappointing and I soon sold them, unlike the primes which were superb.
                Selling on the zoms may be an option then unless I decide to put the OMs through their paces but even then, the primes may be the best bet (I already have a 50 and 135). I could even just not get the zooms.
                Dave

Comment

I have the 35-105 and 85-250 Zuiko zooms and both are very sharp and contrasty, in fact the 35-105 at 35mm is sharper than my 35 f/2.8. My 80-200 Tamron otoh was soft as putty! There were three different 35-70 zooms I think, of varying quality.

I still have my large collection of OM stuff although it doesn't get used much; it is just too nice to sell .
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                    I have the 35-105 and 85-250 Zuiko zooms and both are very sharp and contrasty, in fact the 35-105 at 35mm is sharper than my 35 f/2.8. My 80-200 Tamron otoh was soft as putty! There were three different 35-70 zooms I think, of varying quality.

I still have my large collection of OM stuff although it doesn't get used much; it is just too nice to sell .
                    I must have had a bad copy of the 35-105mm. I never tried the 85-250mm but it was supposed to be of excellent quality.
                    John

Comment

The 35-105 was pretty much a permanent fixture on my OM-4. On the other hand the 85-250 is so big and heavy I hardly ever used it! It is a remarkably sharp performer though.
                      Regards
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
                        One of my neighbours has an OM collection...Don't think that I would use them much but they would replace a Nikon F80 and 28-105 Sigma zoom that I use occasionally.
                        You know you want to, and selling on the Nikon would raise some money towards it.

...I still have my large collection of OM stuff although it doesn't get used much; it is just too nice to sell
                        Same here.

The 35-105 was pretty much a permanent fixture on my OM-4.
                        I never tried this one having got the slightly faster and shorter at short end Vivitar 28-105 F2.8-3.5 which was likewise glued on. If the camera shop had had the Zuiko lens when I got my camera that may well have been the one I walked out with.
                        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                        Learn something new every day

Comment

I agree, sell the Nikon and buy the OMs! And why not put them to good use? Get some Poundland film and fire away!

My OM collection keeps growing...
                          http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/19AH.html
                          Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
                          OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
                          cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

There was a Zuiko 35 ~ 80 mm f2.8 zoom if I recall which was very highly regarded but even more highly priced!

One was offered for sale at Charles Eagles in Sunderland a few years ago, but had gone by the time I arrived, so I have never seen one in the flesh. However, I suspect it was rather heavy on an OM4 Ti.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

There was indeed, but it was rather short lived. It was very much in the same league as today's Top Pro lenses I think. If I recall correctly I saw a new one in the long defunct Euro Foto Centre near Uxbridge but I've never seen one since!
                              Regards
                              Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X