Found 2 films from 1997

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found 2 films from 1997

I found 2 rolls of exposed Konica film in a drawer. I had no idea how old they were but I decided to develop them to see what I could get out of them. When the first roll came out of the tank it looked completely black, I couldn't see any images at all. I nearly threw it in the bin but decided to hang it to dry anyway.

Next day I was amazed to see some vague images and when I put it through the scanner I was even more amazed to see that they'd actually come out quite well. I went ahead and developed the second roll and that was fine too. A testament to Konica film, I guess. Some are a little faded and the colour has gone a bit magenta at the edges of some, but overall I was very pleased how they came out.

Some of the shots are of my daughter's 5th birthday party. She's now 22.

These shots would have been taken with an Olympus OM-1N with 50mm/1.8 & 135mm/3.5 lenses because that was all the camera equipment I had at the time.

My daughter at Farleigh Castle near Bath

My son (now 25) trying out archery at a Medieval Day at Farleigh Castle

Daughter on the morning of her 5th birthday. I don't know why she was making such a face but she always made a great photographic model - you could always rely on her to do something interesting!

Son and daughter at Castle Coch, near Cardiff

Me! Presumably taken by my wife. I would have been 37 when this was taken.

My wife at Castle Coch

These are the two films that I found in a drawer - like miniature time capsules!

Anyway, I'm so pleased I did something with the films and didn't just throw them out!

Edit: I thought these were all taken with my OM1, but thinking about it Nos 3, 4, 5 & 6 could have been with an XA - they look more like a 35mm than a 50mm don't they?
    Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
    OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
    cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Re: Found 2 films from 1997

Considering the elapsed time undeveloped, they look quite good!
    Well done you for persevering!
    It's often said photographs don't lie, well mine do!

Comment

Wonderful 'find' Roger, no doubt the images of your children will be 'priceless' to you .

Yes, 'NEVER-EVER' throw out undeveloped film no matter how old, it might just contain some memories and keepsakes that you could never replace and such images take us back to a time in our lives that quite literally may have otherwise been forgotten, 'Tempus Fugit' as they say

Kind regards, Simon
      “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
      ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

BTW .... sharp looking 'dude' in those Raybans

Simon
        “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
        ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by wontolla View Post
          Considering the elapsed time undeveloped, they look quite good!
          Well done you for persevering!
          I must say I was amazed at the quality of the images given the time lapse and the fact that they weren't cold stored.

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
          Wonderful 'find' Roger, no doubt the images of your children will be 'priceless' to you .

Yes, 'NEVER-EVER' throw out undeveloped film no matter how old, it might just contain some memories and keepsakes that you could never replace and such images take us back to a time in our lives that quite literally may have otherwise been forgotten, 'Tempus Fugit' as they say
          Very true. I think our kids were quite pleased, too, or at least daughter was.

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
          BTW .... sharp looking 'dude' in those Raybans
          Cool dude, eh?
          Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8

Comment

I hope everyone is suitably embarassed at seeing these old photos.
            Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
            Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
            Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
            Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
            Learn something new every day

Comment

What a great discovery. I think that I would have binned them as soon as I found them.
              Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
                I hope everyone is suitably embarassed at seeing these old photos.
                Haha, it's a double-edged sword for the kids, I think. On the one hand they like seeing themselves as children, but on the other hand it's not so good having them plastered all over Facebook. And there were much more embarrassing ones than these.

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
                What a great discovery. I think that I would have binned them as soon as I found them.
                I nearly did too. Glad I didn't!
                Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8

Comment

Great find & bring back some good memories no doubt.

Comment

Those pictures are priceless, thank goodness it wasn't Kodachrome!
                    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Hartland View Post
                      Great find & bring back some good memories no doubt.
                      Indeed they did!

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                      Those pictures are priceless, thank goodness it wasn't Kodachrome!
                      That's true, John. It's possible to do Kodachrome in B&W chemicals, though, I think, so even then there might have been some hope.
                      Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8

Comment

Originally posted by cariadus View Post
                        Indeed they did!

That's true, John. It's possible to do Kodachrome in B&W chemicals, though, I think, so even then there might have been some hope.
                        Yes, I have recently seen a lab listing a B&W only service for Kodachrome.
                        John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Surprisingly good results. Probably helped by being colour neg film that was designed to have Christmas tree photos at the start, in the middle and at the end from three different Christmases.

You can dev most conventional films as B & W negs.
                          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

What a find! Those images are remarkably good all things considered. Might be worth running them through Neat Image or similar to remove some of the noise. I tried a couple here and it made quite an improvement.
                            ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Somebody sent me an interesting link which put me in mind of this thread. Rather than clog up this thread, I have started a new one in the lounge - http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36194

Ciao ... John

Comment

Working...
                              X