Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photos with film cameras (a lot, sorry...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos with film cameras (a lot, sorry...)

In Alf's thread yesterday My film cameras I posted a photo of my current collection and I thought it might be an idea to post a photo taken with each of the different cameras.

So the cameras are:

Front row, left to right:
    Zorki 4K (Russian rangefinder)
    Olympus XA
    Voigtlander Bessa R3A with Nokton Classic 40mm f1.4
    Back row, left to right:
    Hasselblad 500C/M
    Kowa Super 66 (courtesy of John/Zuiko)
    Fuji GA645zi
    Hasselblad 501C

And here are photos taken with the above...

The Zorki 4K and Kentmere 400 film

Looking in different directions by Cariadus, on Flickr

Olympus XA, Velvia 100:

Moon hound by Cariadus, on Flickr

[Haven't got any shots from the Bessa yet as it's a new addition]

Hasselblad 500C/M, Fuji Acros 100:

Red Flag by Cariadus, on Flickr

Kowa Super 66, Ilford HP5+:

Bendricks Urbex by Cariadus, on Flickr

Fuji GA645zi, Ilford HP5+:

Cardiff Bay by Cariadus, on Flickr

And last but not least a couple from my current favourite, the Hasselblad 501C:
    Fuji Acros 100:

Flow by Cariadus, on Flickr

Velvia 50 (home processed in Tetenal E6 kit):

The Knap, Barry (colour version) by Cariadus, on Flickr

Velvia 50 (home processed in Tetenal E6 kit):

Llantwit Major by Cariadus, on Flickr

Sorry this was so long and if you got this far thanks for indulging me!

Am I mad to be hooked on film?
    Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
    OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
    cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Re: Photos with film cameras (a lot, sorry...)

Well, you certainly got good training with your film cameras!! I enjoyed
    seeing not only the cameras but the results, but then I have always said "it is not the camera but the man/woman behind the camera"

Comment

Thanks Bill. You're absolutely right about that.
      Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8

Comment

Some cracking shots Roger

It not long and I loved seeing them mate.

Your not mad being hooked on film at all.
        OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Thanks Alf. Film is a challenge and an adventure, and one that I'm very much enjoying.
          Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8

Comment

[QUOTE=cariadus;
            Am I mad to be hooked on film?[/QUOTE]

Good God "NO" you are not, in fact I think you're very sane Roger

As good/clever/convenient ? as digital imaging is there is something very special about a properly exposed & printed black & white film image especially when printed onto quality fibre based paper. Something special that digital (IMO) still cannot replicate no matter how good the post processing.

Film sales are actually growing again, apparently many younger photographers who have only ever used digital are trying out film for the first time and most are finding it very rewarding. As you may know in Japan film has a HUGE following, in fact I would say a cult status, that's quite something for such a gadget pioneering country.

I'm not knocking digital, after all I use an em-5 and a Leica M9, not exactly "small change" expenditure in digital imaging, but I will say I find film photography a far more rewarding experiance.

Film is a niche market these days but thats something I like, your not "running with the crowd" .... a bit like owning Olympus gear It slows you down as you have a finite number of exposures on the roll, you cannot rub them out and reuse them so it makes you more considered and careful before you press the shutter and as a result over time your photography WILL improve.

Finally every digital camera I have owned has depreciated rapidly, with the exception of the M9 which has declined quite slowly. My em-5 has almost lost 50% in fourteen months. EVERY film camera I own is now worth MORE than I paid for them, so back to your question ..... no you are not mad Roger

Regards

Simon
            “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
            ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

ROGER,

B.T.W. I meant to comment on the images you have posted and "waxed lyrical" to the point that I forgot to do so. A very nice set indeed, keep shooting especially B&W and Velvia 50 for colour

Simon
              “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
              ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Thanks Simon. You're right about the depreciation, or lack of, for film cameras. I bought the Fuji GA645zi about 3 months ago and have decided it's not really for me. I haven't got round to putting it up for sale yet, but hopefully I should get what I paid for it, or at least close to. So that will be 3 months ownership at virtually no cost.

Looking back at the photos that I've taken on digital over the last few months, such as the ones in this thread, they're nearly all hand-held low light shots because I haven't had a film setup capable of tackling that type of shot. Hopefully the Bessa with 40mm 1.4 will fill that gap. That's the theory anyway!

The built-in flash of the Fuji is handy at times though:

The cook by Cariadus, on Flickr

You're right about slowing down and being selective with shots, too. I went to Southerndown yesterday and took half a dozen shots, which is more than I usually take at any one time, and then I was annoyed at myself for being wasteful with film!

Thanks for the encouraging words - it means a lot. I'm too deep in to film photography to change course now anyway!
                Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8

Comment

Working...
                X