Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My film cameras

Originally posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

That depends on the design. Many of the valve sets of the 1950's and 60's were mass produced for lowest possible cost, and were unreliable as a result. (Sound familiar?)..
    However, my Quad amplifiers are only on their second set of KT66 output valves since they were built in 1955, so with good design valves can last a very long time. And they sound gorgeous! Thankfully, Quad still service these old amplifiers, and recently started building them again! '
    That's true, I had a Quad amp and it never flickered. And we had a telly that barely worked. The amp was a thing of beauty .

Valve amps are the preferred amp for guitarists - and you can't afford an amp to conk out on stage, so I suppose they can't be all that flaky
    John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

I was very lucky to get a good supply of KT66's from work in Kingston upon Thames the late 1970's.

We had a big PA amplifier fitted with twelve Genuine GEC KT66's which kept the Telephonist's room warm. The amplifier was never switched off (which is the best way to run valves), and the valves themselves were changed every year. One year I cadged a set of used valves from the engineer who was only too happy to give them to me as he said he would have had to throw them away otherwise.

I fitted them straightaway as I was having some odd problems with the original Osram valves, and gave another set to a friend who also had Quad amplifiers. Those valves are still going strong after thirty-five years, but I have another set tucked away which will probably see me out.

The old works has long gone, and perhaps ironically, is exactly where Nikon UK is based now.
      ---------------

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Comment

Well I got a brand new 35 mm camera for Christmas trouble is I had to build it.

Well not that much trouble

Here it is

Konstruktor 1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Konstruktor 2 by alf.branch, on Flickr
        OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

Hi there Alf!

Very nice camera! I keep getting tempted to get one of the Ilford pinhole cameras which can use positive paper - the kids are getting old enough now to see how photography started rather than just pressing a button on a uTough. Then I think "it's just a box with a hole in it - how hard can it be to make something the same?" So I haven't bought one just yet - it will be a project for a rainy day sometime soon.

You will have to post some images from your new camera soon,

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
            Hi there Alf!

Very nice camera! I keep getting tempted to get one of the Ilford pinhole cameras which can use positive paper - the kids are getting old enough now to see how photography started rather than just pressing a button on a uTough. Then I think "it's just a box with a hole in it - how hard can it be to make something the same?" So I haven't bought one just yet - it will be a project for a rainy day sometime soon.

You will have to post some images from your new camera soon,

Cheers,

Ralph.
            making pinhole camera is not that difficult or buying one that expensive look [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidz-Labs-Pin-Hole-Camera/dp/B000H5V06G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388784146&sr=8-1&keywords=pin+hole+camera"]Kidz Labs - Pin Hole Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PJHCQVQJL.@@AMEPARAM@@41PJHCQVQJL[/ame]and film can be bought from poundland
            OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

Comment

Originally posted by alfbranch View Post
              making pinhole camera is not that difficult or buying one that expensive look Kidz Labs - Pin Hole Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Gamesand film can be bought from poundland

Hi there Alf!

That looks good, but I'm hoping to get the kids to help make the camera (an introduction to woodwork tools) and have a go at the developing too -I can see that with the one you've suggested the temptation will be to just post off the film for developing. It's certainly something to bear in mind though.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
                Hi there Alf!

That looks good, but I'm hoping to get the kids to help make the camera (an introduction to woodwork tools) and have a go at the developing too -I can see that with the one you've suggested the temptation will be to just post off the film for developing. It's certainly something to bear in mind though.

Cheers,

Ralph.
                Ralph
                You choose what suits you there are plenty of options
                Look here
                http://www.pinholesolutions.co.uk/camera_kits.html

An early start could be [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00650PR66/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d1_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf _rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1F2HM9QV4SN22PA0EZKG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =455344027&pf_rd_i=468294"]Sun Print Paper: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417hyeCGVFL.@@AMEPARAM@@417hyeCGVFL[/ame]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's mine ,

The 35SP is a great little rangefinder and the meter is bang on too.

The Rolleiflex is absolute "mechanical perfection" and just wonderful to use. I have thought of selling it on several occasions because I don't get to use it as often as it should be used and a late example such as mine still commands around £2000.00, but each time I make up my mind to sell it something 'emotional' stops me

Simon
                  “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
                  ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

That Konstructor looks fantastic, Alf. Bet it was an interesting project putting it together!

Simon, that presumably is only a small part of your collection?

Here are some of mine:

Front row, left to right:
                    Zorki 4K (Russian rangefinder)
                    Olympus XA
                    Voigtlander Bessa R3A with Nokton Classic 40mm f1.4
                    Back row, left to right:
                    Hasselblad 500C/M
                    Kowa Super 66 (courtesy of John/Zuiko)
                    Fuji GA645zi
                    Hasselblad 501C

I am going to have a clear out soon and sell some of these, though. The Hasselblad 500C/M and the Fuji will be up for sale soon.
                    Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
                    OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
                    cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

[QUOTE=cariadus;274044]

Hi Roger,

Well actually at the moment that is it, for I have had a good clear out over the past year. I may however soon add a very nice Leica M3 to my collection, and if I do I'll put up an image of it on here.

BTW, I like your collection, especially the Hasselblad 501C ..... it's a great camera isn't it.

Simon
                      ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

[quote=Simon Bee;274046]
                        Originally posted by cariadus View Post

Hi Roger,

Well actually at the moment that is it, for I have had a good clear out over the past year. I may however soon add a very nice Leica M3 to my collection, and if I do I'll put up an image of it on here.

BTW, I like your collection, especially the Hasselblad 501C ..... it's a great camera isn't it.

Simon
                        It sure is. I originally bought the 500C/M but then came across the 501C for a good price and it included an architectural grid screen, which are hard to find and command high prices on their own. As I tend to shoot a lot of seascapes that made it very attractive. So I bought it with the intention of selling the 500C/M. The 501C is a late 90s model compared to the 1970s 500C/M and it's much smoother in operation and nicer to use.

I originally bought the Fuji to complement the Hasselblad, thinking it would be smaller and lighter to carry around. That didn't really work out though. The Fuji is a very nice camera and I enjoy using it, but although it's small for a medium format camera, it's just a little too big as a carry around anywhere camera and I usually find myself taking the Hasselblad anyway.

Then I bought the Zorki for £26 on Ebay and loved it. So I think a 35mm rangefinder is the way to go for me as a complement camera to the Hasselblad. I had intended to sell the 500C/M and Fuji and buy an M2 out of the proceeds, but then I came across a used Bessa R3A at a good price so I ended up buying that. At the same time Robert White were selling the Nokton 40mm 1.4 at £268 brand new, instead of the usual price of £438, so that seemed too good an opportunity to miss. They've gone back up to the normal price now. The Bessas have a bit of a shaky reputation for reliability but it's a lovely camera to use and has aperture priority AE which an M2 or M3 (or even M6) doesn't have. And any glass I get for the Bessa will fit a Leica if I decide to get one in the future.

So a bit of chopping and changing, but hopefully I'm reasonably settled now, just need to sell the things I'm not using. I've got through 40 rolls of film since last June and 34 of those have been with a Hasselblad which tells a story in itself.

How did you get on with setting up a darkroom? I'd like to do that at some point but it's not really practical at the moment. I have started developing my own colour film, though.
                        Roger

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
                        OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
                        cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr

Comment

Simon
                          I like the Rollei I would like one. I love my 35-sp too.

Roger
                          The Konstruktor was fun and I need to take some shots with it too. My Scouts loved it when I showed them it.
                          Nice bunch of cameras there Roger.

Comment

I have the same Trip as you. I keep toying with the idea of popping a film in and seeing how it compares to digital.
                            Too many cameras!
                            E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Comment

Originally posted by byegad View Post
                              I have the same Trip as you. I keep toying with the idea of popping a film in and seeing how it compares to digital.
                              I havent finished the film in it yet but will show the results.

Comment

[quote=cariadus;274057]
                                Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post

How did you get on with setting up a darkroom? I'd like to do that at some point but it's not really practical at the moment. I have started developing my own colour film, though.

Roger,

At the moment it is "still on the drawing board", I have been too busy at work to "get on with it". I will be replacing my homes entire roof this summer and once that is done I shall then start to convert the attic which will serve as both darkroom and studio for it is both large and high.

Simon
                                ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                                X