Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Stump Puffball Lycoperon piriforme via Laowa 7.5mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stump Puffball Lycoperon piriforme via Laowa 7.5mm

These puffball fungi are up to about the size of a golf ball. This colony was in deep shade (see the darker images). It was also quite extensive.

The low light required a wider aperture than I would have liked, together with high ISO and long exposures.

The only UWA I had with me was the Laowa 7.5mm. A 24mm would have done the job.

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Laowa 7.5mm f2 macro, 1/8 to 1/30 sec f5.6 ISO 2000, hand-held.

The stereos are crosseye

Some of the images have been considerably brightened and the shadows brightened.

Perhaps you can spot the group of puffballs with their tops bitten off. This is typical of deer grazing.

Harold

The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Re: Stump Puffball Lycoperon piriforme via Laowa 7.5mm

On looking online to check their edibility (they are), I see that they're also referred to as the Wolf-fart puffball!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
      On looking online to check their edibility (they are), I see that they're also referred to as the Wolf-fart puffball!

Jim
      Jim,

All UK puffballs are edible (when young). Earthballs are not.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Gough View Post
        Jim,

All UK puffballs are edible (when young). Earthballs are not.
        I've eaten giant puffballs. As you say, they're OK when young, but as soon as the flesh gets a tint of yellow they're horrible!

A few years ago a field near us had hundreds of giant puffballs, around the size of footballs. I've not seen them since and wondered whether the mycellium is still in the ground, but just dormant and not producing fruiting bodies.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X