14 mm 2.5 or 17mm 2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 mm 2.5 or 17mm 2.8

I recently purchased a 14mm f 2,5 to use on the M5 to make it a walk about pocketable camera ...But its so soft its not usable. Would a change to the 17mm f2.8 improve things significantly. Its certainly not as sharp as the 15mm f8 lens cap I sold !!
    Retirement cut backs.. D7200 with 18-140, D850 with N 28-300, Samyang 14mm Tamy 100-400 + Nikon 200-500mm
    Holiday cam .... Olympus OMD M5 + 14mm Panasonic .

Re: 14 mm 2.5 or 17mm 2.8

The Panasonic 14mm soft?!?

It must be a really bad copy.
    I used to have both the Zuiko 17mm and Lumix 14mm; even though I preferred the 17mm focal length I ended up using the 14mm more because the AF was faster.

I certainly hadn't noticed significant softness on the 14mm; true, best f was 4 but it was reasonably sharp @ f/2.5 too.

If you purchased it new maybe you should replace it under warranty.
    After breaking through the technology barrier,
    you run into the barrier of accepted wisdom.
    -Yoshihisa Maitani

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply..Will do some more tests and try to come to a conclusion.
      Retirement cut backs.. D7200 with 18-140, D850 with N 28-300, Samyang 14mm Tamy 100-400 + Nikon 200-500mm

Comment

Originally posted by Pistnbroke View Post
        Thanks for the fast reply..Will do some more tests and try to come to a conclusion.
        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

A picture paints a thousand words.
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

I am sure this will make you all very happy ..I stuffed up. Its a long time since I used the camera ..it was overcast and late in the afternoon. I had forgotten how bad the low light performance is compared to my other kit and the shutter speed dropped too low to freeze the slight motion in the shot . Re tested in the sunlight and the pic was sharp.

Comment

I am sure this will make you all very happy ..I stuffed up. Its a long time since I used the camera ..it was overcast and late in the afternoon. I had forgotten how bad the low light performance is compared to my other kit and the shutter speed dropped too low to freeze the slight motion in the shot . Re tested in the sunlight and the pic was sharp.
              It doesn't make me happy that you stuffed up, I do it all the time. At least you have held your hands up to the flaw in this particular test and I hope the lens continues to perform to your satisfaction.
              John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I had forgotten how bad the low light performance is compared to my other kit
                What's that about tools and the workman?
                Paul
                E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                flickr
                Portfolio Site
                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                X