Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish-eye and De-fish

Helmut Dersch.)

The following images show the results of 'de-fishing' one of my photos from Wadesdon Manor, using the PanoTools plug-in:

For comparison with a more conventional lens, the image below marks the area covered by my Olympus 9-18mm zoom, when used from the same location. as the Meike (de-fished).

Finally, an image that can only be made with a super-wide lens - this is the 'de-fished' view from the Meike, looking vertically upwards from inside the Dairy Court at Chastleton House:

Last edited by MikeOxon; 20th October 2018, 03:30 PM. Reason: improved re-mapping
    Mike
    visit my Natural History Photos website:
    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Re: Fish-eye and De-fish

The "de-fishing" seems to work very well, although there is still a bit of distortion. Inevitable I suppose. I use my 9-18 a lot in such places and am generally pleased with the results. DxO does a good job of removing the minor distortions and aberrations. I'm quite surprised at how much extra the fisheye can see. I have the 16mm OM full-frame fisheye but I doubt the f-o-v on mFT would be much wider than the 9-18. I suppose I should try it and see!
    Regards
    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
      ......... I'm quite surprised at how much extra the fisheye can see. ..............

So was I, when I first saw the de-fish results .

The settings for FOV in the PanoTools menu are quite critical for controlling the curvature at the edges. Since I first posted, I've made a further small adjustment to the second image, which has helped a little.

My fish-eye shots were all taken at f/2. Possible a smaller aperture would improve edge definition but my objective was to test the low-light capability
      Mike

Comment

That's really good, especially considering the cost of admission.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new range of Laowa ultrawide and FE lenses for MFT can do. Their 7.5mm has extremely low rectilinear distortion, and stopped down a bit gives superb results. These are likely to be significantly more expensive than your lens, but still considerably cheaper than anything Oly/Panny are ever likely to produce.
        Regards,
        Mark

------------------------------
        http://www.microcontrast.com
        Too much Oly gear.
        Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
        Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Small enough to fit in my bag and certainly a good price. Your de-fished reults look very promising.
          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
          Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
            ............ Your de-fished results look very promising.

I tried photographing a large wall from very close, to test the de-fish performance. The brickwork itself was not perfectly even but this is the result, before and after de-fish:

To test resolution of the Meike 6.5mm towards the edge of the frame, I took the following shot at f/8 (looking vertically upwards) and then compared with an actual-pixels area, near the edge:

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X