• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jammed lens hood on the f4 300mmPro

Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Re: Jammed lens hood on the f4 300mmPro

Touch wood it hasn't happened to me yet. However I have found that it is easier to turn the hood by pinching it between my forefinger and thumb on one side and twisting it. If you hold it by both sides and attempt to turn it I think it can be deformed slightly which makes it harder to turn.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
      Touch wood it hasn't happened to me yet. However I have found that it is easier to turn the hood by pinching it between my forefinger and thumb on one side and twisting it. If you hold it by both sides and attempt to turn it I think it can be deformed slightly which makes it harder to turn.

Ron
      Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Wow, I thought it was worth a try but I wasn't really convinced it would solve your problem. Glad it worked for you.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
          Wow, I thought it was worth a try but I wasn't really convinced it would solve your problem. Glad it worked for you.

Ron
          I know some will recoil in horror at this suggestion but...... Silicone G|rease or Silicone Spray Lubricant applied very carefully and thinly works wonders on plastic to plastic or plastic to metal.

A light spray on a piece of cotton wool then applied to the barrel of a zoom lens cures stiffness when zooming etc. the same applies to many types of lens hoods.

Conversely, normal oil causes plastics to bind.

Just a thought

Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
            I know some will recoil in horror at this suggestion but...... Silicone G|rease or Silicone Spray Lubricant applied very carefully and thinly works wonders on plastic to plastic or plastic to metal.

A light spray on a piece of cotton wool then applied to the barrel of a zoom lens cures stiffness when zooming etc. the same applies to many types of lens hoods.

Conversely, normal oil causes plastics to bind.

Just a thought

Jax
            One of the easiest places to find silicon spray is Mr Sheen Furniture polish!
            I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

I have got a can of Silicone Spray somewhere. I use it on my curtain rails to make it easier to open and close the curtains and it works like magic.

I don't think I will use it on the 300mm lens hood just yet as I haven't had a problem with it jamming. In fact I actually have the opposite issue. I keep my camera in a holster and I find the action of taking it out and replacing it tends to undo the hood after a while. I have to keep checking that it is still extended properly. It would be nice if it clicked into position but then it would probably give more problems with jamming.

Ron

Comment

I wouldn’t use silicone lubricants on a lens body. Silicones are known to migrate and are difficult to remove, making a mess of an optical surface if they got onto it. If applied to the barrel of a zoom lens, I would worry about them migrating inside the lens and affecting the electronics or aperture mechanism. If you want to try, use the tiniest quantities only.

Definitely don’t use mineral oil based lubricants on plastic.

Comment

Any 3rd party replacement for this?
                  * Henry
                  * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

I've had this problem with my 12-40 - only seems happens when it's really cold! And I can't tell with the problem is frozen fingers or a structural issue with the lens cap.

Comment

Had this happen with my 300mm f4, even before I'd ever attached it to the camera.
                      Gently warming the lens hood with a hair dryer, soon released it.
                      In case you're all wondering... no I don't carry a hair dryer in my camera bag

Mark

Comment

I suspect that a silicone treatment is applied during the manufacture of lenses. Silicone treated surfaces have a characteristic slippery 'feel'. Also, water droplets bead off a new lens is a way that suggests silicone to me.

I have a can of 'dry' silicone spray that I occasionally apply to a tissue and then wipe my zoom lens barrels. I also do the same to the hood bayonets.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                          I suspect that a silicone treatment is applied during the manufacture of lenses. Silicone treated surfaces have a characteristic slippery 'feel'. Also, water droplets bead off a new lens is a way that suggests silicone to me.

I have a can of 'dry' silicone spray that I occasionally apply to a tissue and then wipe my zoom lens barrels. I also do the same to the hood bayonets.

Jim
                          Couldn't agree more ! The chances of correctly applied silicone causing any harm to a lens must be less than winning the lottery 3 times in a row. As stated, it's already used on the seals and "O" rings by the manufacturer. The topic has been raised many times but nothing will ever convince some people.

Given the amount of plastics and neoprenes used now, silicone in it's varying forms, is the most useful lubricant out there.

Jax

Comment

Working...
                          X