300mm f4 Pro Tripod ring screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 300mm f4 Pro Tripod ring screws

On my 300mm f4 Pro lens, two of the locating screws for the tripod ring came loose and were lost.

Although it is under warranty, I would prefer not to have to send the lens in for repair as otherwise it works fine and I use it, but I'd like to replace the screws; does anyone know what size they are and where I might get some?

I've been trying to contact Olympus support but seem to be struggling with their website and have had no response to my requests so far; if I submit a repair request it seems to want me to send it in and I I say I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it!

Re: 300mm f4 Pro Tripod ring screws

Which screws are you referring to? Can you post a photo? I could have a look at my copy of the lens and try to find out.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Try Luton Camera's

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
        Which screws are you referring to? Can you post a photo? I could have a look at my copy of the lens and try to find out.

The little grub screws on the lens where the tripod collar fits; they have hex heads (1.5mm I think). The slots on the tripod collar slip over them when taking it off/putting it on.

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
          Try Luton Camera's

Bit far away - I'm in Aberdeen.

Comment

Alan,
            They do repairs. A phone call, they may be able to help and send you some

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
              Alan,
              They do repairs. A phone call, they may be able to help and send you some

Thanks - as it happens, Olympus support finally replied to one of my contact attempts and also recommend them!

They were busy when I called but I've sent an email, will see how they reply...

Comment

Hope it works out

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                  Thanks - as it happens, Olympus support finally replied to one of my contact attempts and also recommend them!

They were busy when I called but I've sent an email, will see how they reply...
                  I've always found Luton very helpful on the phone, and had good work from them, but never yet had a response to an email!

John

Comment

Originally posted by Bikie John View Post
                    I've always found Luton very helpful on the phone, and had good work from them, but never yet had a response to an email!

John

Really? I've had three responses already!

It seems they can get parts, but Olympus don't allow them to keep stocks for the Pro lenses - they have to order them and give the lens serial number, and it can take weeks...

That's fine by me though, I'd rather not have to send the lens away if I can avoid it. In fact I've transferred the tripod stand holder pins (apparently that's what they're called) from my 40-150mm Pro lens to the 300mm, as I don't often use the zoom on a tripod anyway so it doesn't matter so much. Apparently they're a different part number but they seem to fit just fine.

I have to say though I'm very disappointed with Olympus on this; the lens is only 3 months old and far from cheap, I would expect better quality control at the manufacturers, and more helpful service from their support. Fortunately, if it comes to it, I still have my Canons... maybe I'll keep them a while longer. They may be heavy but I have never had any issue with their functioning!

Comment

What is it with Olympus and their inability to fit screws which stay put? They do all the complicated, high tech stuff really well but seem to fall down on the basics rather more often than they should.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                        Really? I've had three responses already!
                        That's good news. In my experience they are a good bunch.

John

Comment

Working...
                        X