Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

35-100 v 40-150 pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 35-100 v 40-150 pro

Hi

Have a bit of a quandary. I have recently updated my cameras from 4/3 to m4/3 ( Em1 mk 2). I have 2 4/3 zooms I have been using, both on the mmf-1 adaptor. Firstly the 50-200 original ( i.e. non SWD), one of my favourite lenses ever. Secondly, the beast that is the 35-100 f2.

Both work well with the 1.4 TC.

Having had the 40-150 pro many moons ago and being impressed ( had a bit of a detour to Fuji but we all make mistakes ) , I am wondering if i should swap one/both of the above for the newer ( and lighter) m43 lens?. The 35/100 is on my camera probably 80% of the time as a "general" lens ( I know, bit of a weight, but its that good ) with the 50-200 mainly used for wildlife and dragonflies. I'm pretty sure I am not that bothered going above 200mm in 4/3 terms as the tc 1.4 gives me the reach I need on both lenses if required and maintains the quality ( and the 35/100 works surprisingly well with the 2 x digi zoom) .

If I were to swap/sell I know what I could get for the 50-200 and tc, however what would be the sort of price I should be asking for the 35-100? ( its in really good condition, with case etc). I don't want to put it in the for sale part as yet as I got slaughtered by a couple of people a few years ago for advertising a lens with " make an offer " as the price. Also is the 40-150 pro as good re sharpness as the 50-200 ( I know it will fall short against the 35-100), and how is it with the newer 1.4 tc?

Sorry for the ramble, but after some sound advice

Re: 35-100 v 40-150 pro

Some people say the 1.4x converter is not so good with the 40-150 pro, but I have found it plenty sharp enough. If you are not in a hurry, you might want to see what the two new Pro Telephoto zooms bring. From the Lens Roadmap it looks like they will be about 50-210mm and 60-250mm. I guess they will both be stabilised. There is no indication of when they will arrive.
    Andy
    bengeo.com

Comment

Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you?
      If anywhere near Buxton, you could always drop in for a brew and try one before committing yourself.
      Best Regards
      Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
      They're Watching You!

Comment

thanks both- Bill Im Burton way. I have used the 40-150 on the EM1 before. I think I am leaning to keeping the 50-200 ( my copy is razor sharp), just got to decide if I sell/swap the 35-100 f2 for the 40-150... just get the feeling in the back of my mind that although it is slower to focus and noisier, I would regret loosing it in the long run ( and might not bee able to replace it )...damn Olympus and their shg glass

Comment

There's a lot of overlap between the 40-150 and the 50-200, both excellent lenses. I replaced my 35-100/2 with the Panasonic 35-100/2.8. You lose a stop but it's much smaller and lighter. Even that has now been superseded by the 12-100/4, albeit at the cost of yet another stop. To some extent that loss is offset by the better IS in the newer bodies.
          David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

Originally posted by Melaka View Post
            There's a lot of overlap between the 40-150 and the 50-200, both excellent lenses. I replaced my 35-100/2 with the Panasonic 35-100/2.8. You lose a stop but it's much smaller and lighter. Even that has now been superseded by the 12-100/4, albeit at the cost of yet another stop. To some extent that loss is offset by the better IS in the newer bodies.
            All good points - but remember that IS doesn't help if you have to keep the shutter speed up for a moving subject.

John

Comment

Another factor is that the Olympus PRO lenses with IS work better with the E-M1 Mk II's IS than the Panasonic lenses (and I assume the older 4/3 lenses). And they also work with Pro-Capture better too.

Chris
              Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Charlie if you've got a good 50-200 and x1.4 then it's a difficult choice. I'd say to make the swap to the 40-150 plus 1.4 or 2x TCs you'd need to be wanting to have the pro capture features that the newer m4/3s lenses will give you. If pro cap is something that doesn't excite you I'd probably stick with the old glass. Then you could put your money against a 12-100. If you fancy meeting up one day at Willington gravel pits nature reserve I could let you try out the 40-150 with both the 1.4 and 2x TCs.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                X