4/3 Birding lens camera Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4/3 Birding lens camera Combo

The D850 +grip with the 200-500 is a bit heavy however you sling it on your shoulders . So is there an alternative .
    I never had any success with M4/3 though I did only have an M5 Mk1 with 16 mp. But the Panasonic G9 has 20MP so I looked at the pixel density v the D850. The G9 has 70% higher pixel density than the D850. Now if you take a 300mm lens the image size of a small bird it puts on any size sensor is the same so the G9 wins, more POI. However the longest lens for the M4/3 is the 100-400 but you can put a 600mm on the Nikon which boost the image size so I think you are about equal G9v D850.

But I find not all pixels are equal not even Nikon ones .The same lens on a D7200 gives a worse image than the same lens on a D850. So how good are Panasonic pixels or Panasonic "sauce" ?

Then you have the pose factor ...The guy in the hide with a D5300 and a 70-300 always give you a strange look when you have a D850/500mm, and you look at his kit and think "oh no not for me"

So will the G9/100-400 cut it ? or do you have an alternative?
    Retirement cut backs.. D7200 with 18-140, D850 with N 28-300, Samyang 14mm Tamy 100-400 + Nikon 200-500mm
    Holiday cam .... Olympus OMD M5 + 14mm Panasonic .

Re: 4/3 Birding lens camera Combo

No idea about pixels but the G9 is hard work if you want things like BIF, not saying it cant be done but the EM1MK11 with the latest firmware is much better at it.

Comment

EM1MkII or EM1X with 300/f4 + plus a teleconverter.

As to pixels, I.Q. is sufficient to satisfy a number of well-known wildlife photographers such as Scott Bourne and recent convert Andy Rouse. Add in the odd Pulitzer prize winner, Jay Dickman, who regularly prints images up to 5 feet wide and it's proven that m4/3rds delivers professional quality images.
      Best wishes

Wildwood

Comment

While I think its possible with the MIX I have been advised that the tracking and low light abilities make it a non starter for me and I am testing the D850 with the Tamron 100-400 which is almost 50% of the weight of the previous combo.
        Retirement cut backs.. D7200 with 18-140, D850 with N 28-300, Samyang 14mm Tamy 100-400 + Nikon 200-500mm

Comment

Have a look at David Tipling's blogs if you want to get an idea of the experience switching systems to m4/3 with Olympus gear https://davidtipling.com/f/i-am-a-switcher
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/macg33zr/

Comment

Originally posted by BDennis View Post
            Have a look at David Tipling's blogs if you want to get an idea of the experience switching systems to m4/3 with Olympus gear https://davidtipling.com/f/i-am-a-switcher
            It amuses me that the one second delay from switching on is seen as a problem. Is he waiting until he has his eye up to the viewfinder before switching on?

Harold
            The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Don't feed the trolls.
              Perhaps Pistnbroke can show us some of his bird photos and we will compare them to Tord's or Ron's or even some of mine. Some of us arrived here from Pro Nikon kit so we do know about the weight as well as the quality.
              He might even of heard of Andy Rouse, although I expect he knows a lot more than him!
              Stuff from Cuba
              More stuff from Cuba
              It all started here

Comment

I decided against a change to 4/3 mainly because of the low light issue and the requirement to get an expensive MIX or equivalent camera +lens. of course the sarcastic comments don't help. So after much experimentation going to swop the N200-500 for a tamron 100-400 which is much lighter . Hope you all enjoy 4/3 of your day.

Comment

If you do most of your shooting from a hide then weight is not really an issue; use the 200-500 with a bean bag for support.

Rather than a new lens I would consider getting a D500 for its better AF, and larger buffer size versus your D7200.

Of course, if the N200-500 really is too heavy for you, I would be willing to take it off your hands. Just to save your back you understand. It’s an act of charity really.
                  Stephen

My flickr

Comment

Its the walking from hide to hide that's the problem ..the D500 and D850 which I use are equal in the focus abilities but I also get irritated by the clique arrogant response and sarcasm when you ask a simple question...I will stick with Nikon Rumors thanks

Comment

Well sorry for expressing an opinion.

I thought that you were seeking advice on what gear would be best for your situation and I gave my thoughts on that.

As for my attempts at humour, well you can take them or leave them as you wish.
                      Don’t worry, I will not bother again.
                      Stephen

My flickr

Comment

I guess it what suits you most... I have never used FF (since film) so cannot subjectively compare.

MFT does seem to work well for me, I accept there MIGHT be circumstances where other formats/brands MIGHT do better, and its not beyond belief I might try them.

But for the moment, I try and try to get the best from MFT, and continue to hope it will work well for me...………………..
                        Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Absolutely.

But Pistnbroke is using Nikon for his birding, so I thought it was reasonable to suggest gear within his current system.
                          Every system has its pros and cons and honestly I don’t think switching to another is worth the expense.
                          Stephen

My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pistnbroke View Post
                            The D850 +grip with the 200-500 is a bit heavy however you sling it on your shoulders . So is there an alternative .
                            I never had any success with M4/3 though I did only have an M5 Mk1 with 16 mp. But the Panasonic G9 has 20MP so I looked at the pixel density v the D850. The G9 has 70% higher pixel density than the D850. Now if you take a 300mm lens the image size of a small bird it puts on any size sensor is the same so the G9 wins, more POI. However the longest lens for the M4/3 is the 100-400 but you can put a 600mm on the Nikon which boost the image size so I think you are about equal G9v D850.

But I find not all pixels are equal not even Nikon ones .The same lens on a D7200 gives a worse image than the same lens on a D850. So how good are Panasonic pixels or Panasonic "sauce" ?

Then you have the pose factor ...The guy in the hide with a D5300 and a 70-300 always give you a strange look when you have a D850/500mm, and you look at his kit and think "oh no not for me"

I am a little confused by the mixing of issues here so I'll try and put a reasoned spin on it.

I have never used a Panasonic G9, but I am under the impression that the focussing on that is contrast detect only, rather than phase detect or a combination.

Most issues I've seen with the m4/3 systems is the use of contrast detect rather than phase detect as used in most DSLRs, so with the G9 you MAY have issues with focussing.

The low light issues with m4/3 is getting to be more and more of a non discussion, as most of the (certainly the Olympus) lenses work really well fully open, which is not the case for all lenses!

You've dismissed the OM1x out of hand as not having good low light performance, have you tried it? what were the results like? as it's currently considered the best of the m4/3 systems by people that know better than I ever will.

The lens ranges allow for the following

Panasonic 100-400 (200-800 35mm frame equivalent)
                            Olympus 300 f4 (600mm 35mm frame equivalent)
                            Olympus matched 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters which take you to a 600mm f8 (1200mm 35mm frame equivalent)

The D850 is a very different camera from the m4/3 systems and will give very different results, but the "cost" is the size of the system when compared with m4/3, which you've touched on in your post. I think you have to accept that every system has limitations - the D850 limitation is it's physical size and weight - and the best fit compromise is the one for you.

I would strongly recommend that you give the OM1ii or OM1x a try out, either with a willing member from here or via one of the Olympus test and wow partner or their frequent drop in and try days...
                            I didn’t get where I am today....

Comment

Originally posted by Pistnbroke View Post

Having the G9 + 100-400 (Catherine's setup, which I have been using on and off for the past year), myself having used the E-M5, E-M1 and the E-M1 Mark 2 and the 300 F/4 for quite a few years I would summarize like this when it comes to application are bird photography:

The E-M1 Mark 2 is a significant improvement over the Mark 1, mostly within AF, sensor noise and then there are many cool and useful features that were introduced in the Mark 2. The 4 extra megapixels are nice but not the most important.

Compared to the E-M1 Mark 2 the G9 will deliver similar results. The Panasonic is a nice camera but still I prefer the Olympus. Having said that not everything is to the better on the Olympus, there are areas where the G9 wins but the Olympus has the sophisticated AF system that is more adequate for birding and I prefer its ergonomy and not to forget the dust/weather sealing is best in class, which matters if you like me use the gear in tough conditions.

The major difference is the lens. The 300/F4 is a better lens for birding even though the 100-400 is more versatile and a great lens to bring for instance on sessions where a wide range of subjects could be expected, from mammals through birds to butterflies or larger bugs. Image quality and speed are better on the Olympus, at 300mm the Panasonic lens is around a stop slower than the Olympus.

What I really like with the Mark 2 and 300 F/4 are
                              Image quality
                              Performance (burst speed and AF)
                              Portability
                              Weight/ergonomics, shooting handheld during long photo sessions is just so nice
                              What I miss... is F/2.8 but that would make the setup much heavier and less portable.

You can have a look at my photos on the forum or on 500px to get an idea what the setup can deliver. I'm just an amateur, there are talented pros/semi pros wildlife photographers that have switched to Olympus for instance Petr Bambousek.

Hope this helps.

Tord

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Working...
                              X