Olympus 150 - 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Olympus 150 - 400

Whenever I use my 300mm f4 + 1.4x TC, my OMD EM1 ii gets through batteries in no time, perhaps it's the lens, the type of usage it gets, or a bit of both.

So I'm wondering whether a much larger 150 - 400mm would go through batteries at a greater rate as I use campsites without electrical hook-ups and already use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-RA.../dp/B01MDKHWNR and a 'cigarette lighter' inverter. Or would I need to add a few hundred pounds worth of additional batteries to the cost of this lens?

And something else nobody has raised, will it be white?

Comment

I use that combo a lot DavidB for birding I have my camera set to turn off /standby after 60 seconds then as I see a bird I jab the shutter button as i'm bringing it up to my eye the batterie last all afternoon and it's always ready for a shot.
      Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by GyRob View Post
        I use that combo a lot DavidB for birding I have my camera set to turn off /standby after 60 seconds then as I see a bird I jab the shutter button as i'm bringing it up to my eye the batterie last all afternoon and it's always ready for a shot.
        Rob.
        If I tried that I would probably end up with lots of photos of my feet, grass or both.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by GyRob View Post
          Rob.
          It may be just due to me constantly using the lens to scan remote areas, magnifying for manual focus peaking, using burst mode, reviewing/enlarging images, etc., etc., but all of which I'd want to do with a telephoto zoom.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidB View Post
            It may be just due to me constantly using the lens to scan remote areas, magnifying for manual focus peaking, using burst mode, reviewing/enlarging images, etc., etc., but all of which I'd want to do with a telephoto zoom.
            I find magnification impossible to use at 420mm. Do you use a tripod or are your hands just steadier than mine?

Ron

Comment

lol Yes that would do it David .

Rob.

Comment

I have the setup on a rapid strap sling model. With the 300 F/4 (with or without MC14) a fully charged battery will last a long photo session with standby set at 1 minute. If I want to check the environment/and subjects of interest I use my binos. However playing with the setup, frequently engaging the display and IS drains battery quite fast.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

A tester claims he has had his/her hands on (what I guess is a prototype) of the rumoured 150-400 and that it is a constant F/4. He also guesses the lens will be on the market late 2019, together with other zoom/s howver no more information is available.

https://www.43rumors.com/some-more-e...-the-industry/

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Yes, its no doubt a great lens, but I already have a good one at 400mm with the Pany...

Unsure if it would improve what I do already......
                    Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

The lens is now announced. Speed is F/4.5 and the built-in TC is 1.25x.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

There is a size comparison between the Oly 150-400 and the Pano 100-400 available on the rumour site.

Its big!

https://www.43rumors.com/leica-100-4...ze-comparison/
                        Dave

My Flickr

Comment

The 150-400 is probably less than 1 foot long and the 100-400 is tiny for what it is.
                          Andy
                          bengeo.com

Comment

I have to admit that looks simply too large for me to want to carry around

Regards
                            Andy
                            My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
                            4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
                            m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
                            FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
                            The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
                            http://www.shenstone.me.uk
                            http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
                            https://vimeo.com/shenstone
                            http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Comment

If the photo is anything to go buy that I saw plus the cost of the new flagship X body, I would imagine there won't be any change out of 6k. I think it's a high risk strategy attempting to capture the professional sports market prior to the Tokyo Olympics. I have a 1dx2 for my basketball work and I would not use my Oly kit for it yet. A reader took AP to task in this week's letters page, suggesting that the constant reference to full frame and the description of 'niche' was unfair and just brought to mind 'not full frame'. I have to admit to being a tad jumpy about Panasonic's capitulation. I had every intention of buying a 1.2 prime in the next month or so . Hmm. I suppose this is the job of marketing. If, 10 years ago, I had known the kit that I would have to chose from now, I would be gobsmacked and also think that I would never need to buy another camera or lens. Food for thought.

Comment

I think I’ll stick with my 100-400.
                                Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
                                Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
                                Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."

Comment

Working...
                                X