Olympus 45mm f 1.2 vs PanLeica 42.5mm nocticron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Olympus 45mm f 1.2 vs PanLeica 42.5mm nocticron

I finally decided to trade-in some of my older basic lenses and upgrade to fewer higher spec ones so that my set looks less cluttered and duplicated. The main issue here is to upgrade the 45mm f1.8 to either PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 nocticron or the Olympus 45mm f1.2 PRO. Most reviews seem to favour the Olympus slightly but I had to consider the fact that their effectiveness as portrait lenses was what mattered most

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Re: Olympus 45mm f 1.2 vs PanLeica 42.5mm nocticron

But you are a professional and I am no more than an enthusiastic amateur. Personally, I like the "warts and all" natural look. Also (again a personal preference) I like the subject to stand out sharply against a blurred background rather than the more gradual transition.

I saw an on-line video of 2 guys testing to compare the 2 lenses. I noted that the skin tone of darker skinned people had a slightly greyish tinge with the Olympus by comparison with the PanLeica. I did not like that.

Comment

Comment

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/....2-ED-PRO-Lens
          (The graph doesn’t show the cashback)

I’ve always been a bit skeptical of the real life importance of the subtle colour differences between manufacturers and individual items of kit. We do as photographers obsess over tiny differences which are unnoticed by others, including customers, but colours can be adjusted these days with amazing subtlety with, say, Lr presets, so personally I’d be swayed more by the other subtleties.
          Ultimately you’re going to have to decide, and a test-and-wow would be a good way to do that personally rather than worrying over dozens of other opinions based on other balances of the issues.
          I agree the Nocticron currently in the for sale section looks a fine deal.
          Regards,
          Mark

------------------------------
          http://www.microcontrast.com
          Too much Oly gear.
          Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
          Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

https://www.nyip.co.uk/photo-article...eople-of-color

Almost always the lens will have little effect on colour rendering. Well worth checking out DxO testing site
            Graham

Comment

Thanks people. First off Greenguru, I definitely will NOT buy grey imports anymore. I did only once a few years ago - it was a Panasonic 35-100mm f4-5.6 and it turned out to be a definite fake. It was 11 grams lighter than the advertised weight (I double checked this with Panasonic) and tacky in build quality. I returned it but it took me a while to get a refund from the seller. I believe that I posted a thread about that here at the time.

G_o_R, thanks for that link. It may interest you to know that the ONLY picture from that Zucker collection that I did NOT like was that of the young boy on his own. The only reason is the slight grey tinge to the skin tone.

As for the PanLeica, if I decide on it (which I almost certainly will), I'll go with Wex if they confirm their initial quote for my part-ex stuff. The package has reached them and they will let me know after inspection. In the past they have confirmed their offer twice and all my lenses are really in mint condition.

G_o_R, am I right in thinking that when you are working with professional models like you do, you have to 'flatter' the skin tone a bit? My portraits are those of friends and family and I like to keep it natural. My goddaughter, now 24, used to avoid being photographed as a teenager because she had facial spots which I refused to 'clean' on photoshop. Now they have cleared and she poses for me whenever I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Loup Garou View Post

G_o_R, am I right in thinking that when you are working with professional models like you do, you have to 'flatter' the skin tone a bit? My portraits are those of friends and family and I like to keep it natural. My goddaughter, now 24, used to avoid being photographed as a teenager because she had facial spots which I refused to 'clean' on photoshop. Now they have cleared and she poses for me whenever I ask.
                Graham

Comment

Two questions about the PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron:

1. When it is fitted onto an Olympus body with its own built-in Image Stabilization such as the EM5-II or Pen-F, should one keep the lens' own IOS switch to 'on' or 'off'? Does it make a difference?

2. Second, the following is an excerpt from E-Photozine's review of the lens from 4 years ago; look at the highlighted part.

A manual aperture ring provides quick, direct control over the aperture setting. For automatic aperture operation, the ring needs to be placed on the 'A' setting. The aperture ring may not function with Olympus MFT bodies, although this feature could be added via a firmware update. The lens can be used, controlling the aperture from the camera body, instead of the lens.
                  Can't be true, can it?

Comment

Two questions about the PanLeica 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron:

1. When it is fitted onto an Olympus body with its own built-in Image Stabilization such as the EM5-II or Pen-F, should one keep the lens' own IOS switch to 'on' or 'off'? Does it make a difference?

2. Second, the following is an excerpt from E-Photozine's review of the lens from 4 years ago; look at the highlighted part.

Can't be true, can it?
                    True for all Panny lenses with an aperture ring, to the best of my knowledge. Certainly so for the PL 15mm f1.7, which I do own.
                    Regards,
                    Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

I have that 42.5 and I am enjoying it. I got that long before that 45/1.2 came out an I am sure not in a rush to get any of the f1.2s. I also have that 25/1.4 another reason not rushing for the 25/1.2.

As for photo quality, you really need to see what you are looking for.

Here, a 42.5

LEICA DG NOCTICRON 42.5/F1.2, ƒ/1.2, 42.5 mm, 1/100s, ISO 400

This, 25/1.4

LEICA D SUMMILUX 25mm F1.4, ƒ/1.4, 25.0 mm, 1/320s, ISO 200
                      * Henry
                      * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by drmarkf View Post
                        True for all Panny lenses with an aperture ring, to the best of my knowledge. Certainly so for the PL 15mm f1.7, which I do own.
                        You might have misunderstood my question. What I was asking was that e-Photozine's claim that there was a firmware update available that would enable the Nocticron's aperture ring to work on Olympus bodies was not true?

I also owned a PL 15mm f1.7 but am trading that in for an Olympus 12mm f2. The PL was nice but I felt that a 15mm prime lens was a bit "neither here nor there" focal length.

Comment

You might have misunderstood my question. What I was asking was that e-Photozine's claim that there was a firmware update available that would enable the Nocticron's aperture ring to work on Olympus bodies was not true?

I also owned a PL 15mm f1.7 but am trading that in for an Olympus 12mm f2. The PL was nice but I felt that a 15mm prime lens was a bit "neither here nor there" focal length.
                          Is it? they finally allow that data sharing? Where is that site?
                          * Henry
                          * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Originally posted by blu-by-u View Post
                            Is it? they finally allow that data sharing? Where is that site?
                            Well, look at ePhotozine's review of the PanLeica. That is the source of that quote I posted earlier. They do not specify details of the source of that firmware, if one such exists.

Comment

Yes, I did misunderstand it.

I spoke to Clare Harvey-May about this at the NEC Photography Show in March and she said she knew there had been discussions between Oly and Panny over various current hardware and software compatibility issues, but the outcome to date had been that the companies wanted to maintain differentiation in the market and there were no current plans to address these.

No harm in lobbying representatives of both companies when we get the chance.
                              Regards,
                              Mark

Too much Oly gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X